North Munster & South Munster - A hypothetical situation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

North Munster & South Munster - A hypothetical situation

I know this is a big hypothetical and some people will hate it but suspend reality for a moment and say that for whatever reason the IRFU decided to split Munster in two for a some competion (say the Heineken Cup falls apart and we get an Irish League or some other format). We have North Munster comprised of Limerick, Clare and Tipp players based at Thomond Park and South Munster comprised of Cork, Kerry and Waterford playing at Musgrave.

Do you think they'd be competitive? At what level? Would it help to bring more players on and deepen the pool for the national team?

Here's a hypothetical Stating XV using a few of our non-Munster players from the current squad to fill the gaps where there is no obvious starter:

South Munster:

1. Cronin
    2. Casey or Scannell
    3. Archer
    4. Holland or Nagle
    5. Donnacha O'Callaghan
    6. Dave O'Callaghan
    7. Peter O'Mahony
    8. Coughlan
    9. Williams
    10. Hanrahan
    11. Zebo
    12. Bohane
    13 Laulala
    14. Conway
    15. Hurley

North Munster

1. Kilcoyne
    2. Sherry
    3. Cotter
    4. Ryan
    5. O'Connell
    6. Stander
    7. O'Donnell
    8. Butler
    9. Murray
    10. Keatley
    11. Murphy
    12. Downey
    13. Earls
    14. O'Mahoney
    15. O'Dea

Thoughts? Relative strengths? Where would they have the training base? North Munster train in Wexford and South Munster in Galway?

This could be comedy gold.
    Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
    Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Sure let's just break it up in to counties and have a provincial final, but if you lose you can get another bite at the cherry through some sort of "backdoor" mechanism.

Then the best teams can play off in a knock out mode with national final in The Aviva.

Radical, but it could work

Comment

South Munster train in Galway?

Are you wumming?
        Last edited by munstershane; 26th-August-2013, 10:43.
        Life is good

Comment

North Munster have the edge in the front five, but are definitely hampered by only having two in the back row.
          "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by munstershane View Post
            South Munster train in Galway?

Are you wumming?
            That seemed tougue in cheek tbf.

Even though you claim it to be a hypothetical problem what benefits do you claim kevin, seems rather pointless!
            "I can't say, I'm the referee, I'm not your coach" - Romain Poite

Comment

What colour jerseys though!? Who would be the red army? We could have Thomond Munster and Desmond Munster...
              He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

Originally posted by redherring View Post
                What colour jerseys though!? Who would be the red army? We could have Thomond Munster and Desmond Munster...
                Herman Munster ?

Comment

Originally posted by nuke View Post
                  Herman Munster ?
                  We'd make for entertaining tv then I suppose.
                  He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

Originally posted by redherring View Post
                    We'd make for entertaining tv then I suppose.
                    are you suggesting we are not entertaining now ? Granted, it's not Leinstertainment but still.....

Comment

Why North vs South? I suggest East vs. West, or perhaps Left Handers vs. Right Handers.

p.s. Please close it mods.
                      Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                      Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

JCC Speculation detection device is in danger of breaking.
                        "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

Id still hope the Munster board make South Munster train in Limerick.
                          "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

Originally posted by nuke View Post
                            are you suggesting we are not entertaining now ? Granted, it's not Leinstertainment but still.....
                            Sorry. My tongue - in - cheek contributions are not working so well today.

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
                              North Munster have the edge in the front five, but are definitely hampered by only having two in the back row.
                              Eh?
                              Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

Working...
                              X