British and Irish Cup 13/14

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British and Irish Cup 13/14

Munster drawn in pool stages with Plymouth, Nottingham and Stirling County.
    \"God gave me the talent but the forwards gave me the ball\" - Jannie De Beer

\"I hesitate to use words like spiritual or religious, but to see what rugby means to Munster people is very moving\" Shaun Payne

I look back on 2008 at the Millennium Stadium as the highlight of my career because, although being capped by New Zealand and playing for the All Blacks was fantastic, this was special. - Doug Howlett

Great for me, nice little trip down to Plymouth again.

Comment

Not the toughest of groups to be fair.

Comment

Leinster drawn with Ealing, Mosley and Wales 3.
        Ulster drawn with Cornish Pirates, Jersey and Ayr.
        Connacht drawn with Rotherham, Bedford and Wales 4.
        \"God gave me the talent but the forwards gave me the ball\" - Jannie De Beer

\"I hesitate to use words like spiritual or religious, but to see what rugby means to Munster people is very moving\" Shaun Payne

I look back on 2008 at the Millennium Stadium as the highlight of my career because, although being capped by New Zealand and playing for the All Blacks was fantastic, this was special. - Doug Howlett

Comment

Can someone explain to me the new format?
          Looks the same as last year...no?

Comment

According to wiki the welsh contingent is down from 12 last year to 4 this year with a consequent reduction in the total teams from 32 to 24.
            This year there will be six Pools of Four teams, with the six Pool winners and the two best runners-up qualifying for the Quarter Finals. Same as the HEC.

Comment

Originally posted by Bitter As A Lemon View Post
              Not the toughest of groups to be fair.
              Nottingham came second in the Championship so they'll be no pushovers. Plymouth didn't do as well but Declan Cusack, Paul Rowley and Eoghan Grace at least won't be short of motivation.

Definite chance to get a home quarter though and the new format should be a big improvement.
              \"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane\"

Comment

According to the Nottingham site they are aiming for the game at Meadow Rd to played on Fri 18th Oct. Hopefully that will fit in with the East Midlands Supporters club ERC travel plans that weekend. http://www.nottinghamrugby.co.uk/new...irish-cup.aspx
                Last edited by stevetelcom2000; 28th-June-2013, 13:08.
                www.canvasclubshop.com

Comment

Was told that st.Marys ground in grove island will be hosting one of munsters home games in the B & I cup

Comment

Great news!
                    I am the million man.

Comment

Hope to see some young guys get some some gametime(sweetnam, scannell murphy etc)
                      Team for this year:
                      ryan/cronin scannell cotter
                      darren o shea foley
                      shane buckley Ryan Murphy Barry O Mahony
                      hurley holland sweetnam scannell bohane/dinneen ronan o mahony luke o dea

Comment

does this thing have much value in realistic terms?
                        I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
                          does this thing have much value in realistic terms?
                          It covers a major gap in standard in the Irish game between AIL and Provincial rugby. It allows youth and second team players to play using the same systems as the first team. It gives squad players something to aim for and creates a clear pathway for fellas who want to make the H Cup or Pro 12 squads. Impress at that level and they might get a chance in the first team. Nearly half the Munster squad have come up through the A side in recent years. Kilcoyne, Sherry, O'Mahony, O'Donnell, Murray, Zebo, Cronin, Archer, Butler, Sheridan and O'Dea. It's also a fairly tough competition in its own right and winning or doing well in it gives a boost in confidence to a lot of players who would otherwise be frustrated and disappointed at not making the first team. Connacht maybe haven't felt the benefits of it yet, but those benefits have been significant for Munster.

Comment

And it gets the lads used to playing teams from other countries and containing a fair number of gnarled old pros.

Comment

Kilcoyne in particular has benefited from it, I think. He put in an absolutely monstrous display on Good Friday 2012 in the RDS in the semi against Leinster and hasn't looked back since.To think it was less than a year afterwards that he was playing for Ireland. There's plenty of quality outisde the match day squads in the provinces and the B&I cup gives these lads a chance to show it.

It'll be an interesting competition for Munster this year with the age profile of the academy being so young. I'd really like to see the likes of Jack O'Donoghue, Rory Scannell and Darren Sweetnam get good exposure even though they still might be a year or so away from the full squad, because they are class players. Brian Haugh would want to be making a move too considering how light we are at 9.

Comment

Working...
                              X