Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why dont we sign players from other 6 nations countries??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why dont we sign players from other 6 nations countries??

Mostly explained in the title. We sign alot of Ausies, Kiwis, and Saffers if you like, but why dont we just look to other home nations for imports in positions that need depth? Or Italy or france?

Just thought i would spark a little debate...

What's the marking system for this question?

Comment

Originally posted by etcpostmaster View Post
      Mostly explained in the title. We sign alot of Ausies, Kiwis, and Saffers if you like, but why dont we just look to other home nations for imports in positions that need depth? Or Italy or france?

Just thought i would spark a little debate...
      We've had players from those countries. Until recently they've moved about less because the financial incentives to do so (for top players) were limited.

Beyond that, we lose them for the international windows if they're likely tone starters.
      "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

When signing players you are generally aiming for a certain standard, at a certain price. There are other considerations, such as that you do not wish to lose them for international games if possible.

So if you're looking to spend big and get quality, you can either go for the top tier of S15 talent who come without the worry of international commitments, or else the top tier of 6N rugby, which thanks for the French clubs primarily, are probably not a whole lot cheaper. And they are away for internationals.

But if you're trying to get a little better value then you are talking about guys below the top tier. And the quality of the second tier in the Southern Hemisphere is much much better than the Northern. So simply put, at the price that Munster are looking to pay there is better value in the SH.

That said, I don't think we have made the most of the potential resources in France.

A review of those 6N players who have moved to an Irish club would make interesting reading. I can't think of too many, they tend to be forgettable. Wyatt, Dewey, McIlwham. I suppose Danielli wasn't too bad for Ulster.
        Last edited by bugler; 20th-June-2013, 08:08.

Comment

Originally posted by bugler View Post
          When signing players you are generally aiming for a certain standard, at a certain price. There are other considerations, such as that you do not wish to lose them for international games if possible.

So if you're looking to spend big and get quality, you can either go for the top tier of S15 talent who come without the worry of international commitments, or else the top tier of 6N rugby, which thanks for the French clubs primarily, are probably not a whole lot cheaper. And they are away for internationals.

But if you're trying to get a little better value then you are talking about guys below the top tier. And the quality of the second tier in the Southern Hemisphere is much much better than the Northern. So simply put, at the price that Munster are looking to pay there is better value in the SH.

That said, I don't think we have made the most of the potential resources in France.

A review of those 6N players who have moved to an Irish club would make interesting reading. I can't think of too many, they tend to be forgettable. Wyatt, Dewey, McIlwham. I suppose Danielli wasn't too bad for Ulster.
          Hynes.
          He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

Dan Parkes.

Comment

Always wondered why we keep signing NZ props instead of Italien/SA'n ones which are known to be good.

Comment

BJ, Du Preez, Le Puc, we also tried that froggie fella, didnt quite work out but they arent all NZ
                My computer thinks I'm gay
                What's the difference anyway
                When all the people do all day
                Is stare into a phone

Comment

I'd love to see Munster sign Stuart Hogg. Sensational player, huge potnetial covers wing and outhalf also. He'd be perfect for us.

Comment

You want someone who will be available during the international windows though.

Comment

International windows notwithstanding, it does surprise me how few tier 1 6 nations players come here.

How, for instance, in a year when Nacewa and Howlett retire, does North end up moving to Saints without web the slightest speculation linking him to an Irish province?
                      "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

You have to remember Peels interview when he moved 60 km to England, he wanted to experience a different culture
                        My computer thinks I'm gay
                        What's the difference anyway
                        When all the people do all day
                        Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
                          You have to remember Peels interview when he moved 60 km to England, he wanted to experience a different culture
                          Kinda like Ian Rush saying that moving to Juventus was like another country!! What Irish provinces can offer a good 6 Nations, British Isles type, is an easier way of lasting the year without the constant bash-bash of Aviva while guaranteeing HEC rugby, having familiar food, culture, beer, TV, no language problems, weather that they are used to for better or worse. often felt that getting a player like Lewis Moody for 7 before he was totally flahed would have extended his career by a few seasons and given Munster a real edge in our 'transition' years.

Comment

We could not get Geordan Murphy to move over!

Comment

I remember the good old days when there was a wild speculation we were talking with Dallaglio, and Greenwood another time. And Mirco Bergamasco another time. Or maybe time has muddied my memories.

But yeah, good question OP.

Comment

Working...
                              X