• Show
Clear All

"Wrote" might be more accurate.
    Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

True.

Comment

Originally posted by blackandwhite View Post
        Tom Humphries writes in the same way. Lots of short sentences, some of only one word. Honestly.
        What ever happened to him?
        Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Don't ask, and no-one tells unless by PM, m'kay?

Comment

Originally posted by Thomond78 View Post
            I remember the Mayor of Limerick being filmed trying to run that one.

At which point it started raining on him. :D
            What they actually had to do was go to Cork and Dublin to find the lanes, not the rain. A case of chinese whispers I'd say.

Comment

Originally posted by Burgers View Post
              What they actually had to do was go to Cork and Dublin to find the Lanes, not the rain. A case of chinese whispers I'd say.
              Richie's playing with Clontarf, you're right... :p

Comment

What they actually had to do was go to Cork and Dublin to find the lanes, not the rain. A case of chinese whispers I'd say.
                They filmed that beside where I work and had a rain machine on the go a lot of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddytheman View Post
                  They filmed that beside where I work and had a rain machine on the go a lot of the time.
                  I thought that film was funny, probably was true to some ext,times were hard on all people back then but life was a lot more simple too.
                  A lot of old irish movies do that stupid accent drives me nuts
                  employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings,so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for. "socrates"
                  beware the barrenness of a busy life, "socrates "
                  who are you to judge the life i live? I know i'm not perfect-and i don't live to be-but before you start pointing fingers...make sure you hands are clean." BOB MARLEY
                  we are what we repeatedly do.excellance,then,is not an act,but a habit ''aristotle''

Comment

Don't dream of tellin me what my own mother told me or didn't tell me.
                    Fitter for you now to stick to your real pretend name instead of gettin a pretend pretend name and thinking you fooled us all.
                    Don't draw me out
                    Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
                      Don't dream of tellin me what my own mother told me or didn't tell me.
                      Fitter for you now to stick to your real pretend name instead of gettin a pretend pretend name and thinking you fooled us all.
                      Don't draw me out
                      Ha ha

Comment

For Schmidt, far away hills aren’t always green
                        Friday, June 14, 2013
                        Most eyes are on Australia, but off Broadway there’s a lot of interesting issues bubbling under in the Irish set-up as they gear up for tomorrow night’s Toronto test against Canada.
                        ROG believes Less Kiss (left) is likely to switch from attack cto defence coach under Joe Schmidt; manager Michael Kearney (centre) may perform the 'green' role of having a native Irishman involved. Picture: Barry Cregg/Sportsfile
                        By Ronan O'Gara
                        Joe Schmidt may be only maintaining a watching brief on the North American tour, but no-one should mistake that for not being busy. It seems like he’s going to scan the globe for a forwards coach, while the other vacant position in a reconfigured Irish backroom team would be a skills/kicking coach.

That means Gert Smal will finish with Ireland tomorrow in Toronto. That he is leaving and Les Kiss staying on is strange as we’ve always visualised them as a package. Gert is a hugely respected coach and brought serious value to the Irish set-up. His attention to detail was always impressive and his thoroughness in working a specific subject area was admirable. Health permitting, I still think he will be eyeing a head coach down the road, even if his special expertise is in forward play, particularly the lineout and breakdown areas. Gert is quiet but popular. I know there’s no room in sport for sentiment — nor should there be — but there’s a sense here of him being left high and dry. His sense of humour will stand to him. For certain, his rugby ‘son’, Paul O’Connell, will miss him. They spent hour after hour discussing every conceivable line-out variation.

Les Kiss will revert from attack coach to defence coach, meaning Anthony Foley will be surplus to requirements and return to Munster. Axel has so much to offer on both fronts. He was impressive coaching the defence throughout the autumn and the Six Nations and is a natural coach. He’s very sharp when it comes to rugby and in my view is a readymade forwards coach for the national set-up, even if his front of house manner could do with some work ahead of becoming a head coach somewhere.

I think it is crucial at least one of the senior Irish management positions is filled by a native — or someone with a deep understanding of our culture. Perhaps the excellent Mick Kearney, who will be retained as manager, is the man identified by Joe Schmidt to perform this special ‘green’ role.

Schmidt is one hundred per cent correct in tagging the best available rugby brain he can get, irrespective of his accent, but we have some really skilled people in this country. Sometimes I feel we are too smitten by the southern hemisphere rugby vocabulary.

By reducing the number of people involved, Schmidt is intent on employing the club template of a tightly-knit operation — the coach, Kiss and a skills-kicking coach.

The number of attacking players already putting their hand up for inclusion in the autumn internationals is hugely encouraging. There is an abundance of talent in the back three. Let’s presume Kearney, Bowe and Zebo start. Then you have Fitzgerald, Earls and Trimble all experienced internationals, plus Fergus McFadden.

The resources keep coming with the likes of Henshaw, Dave Kearney, Andrew Conway, Luke O’Dea, Felix Jones, Tiernan O’Halloran and Niall Morris. I have watched Morris all season and he could be special. He has constantly delivered for Leicester all season in all conditions and occasions.

Has Irish rugby ever had such depth in the back three?

Returning to the present, and the Lions tour, it appears there are very few backs spaces up for grabs on the Test team for Brisbane on Saturday week. It looks like an all-Welsh back three, with Drico and Doc (Jamie Roberts) in midfield, and Jonny Sexton and Mike Phillips as halves.

That will be an interesting combination. Both these lads are combustible characters. Phillips is a gem who’ll spare no-one. He’s been taking the mick out of Conor Murray on tour, introducing him as a ‘poor man’s Mike Phillips’. We’ve been bouncing off each other since the early noughties when Ireland used stay overnight in Cardiff after Six Nations games. There’s hardly a brain cell between himself, Lee Byrne and James Hook but they’re streetwise and sharp in other ways. I had a bust-up with Phillips shortly before we gathered in Pennyhill Park in 2009 for the Lions tour to South Africa. I walked into my room to see him there before me. We just burst our arses laughing. !

Could Sexton be given the kicking duties against the Waratahs tomorrow? They’ve got to plan for Halfpenny being injured or off-form. And that makes you wonder in the Test squad, is there a role left for Owen Farrell at all, given Tuilagi and Davies are likely to be Brisbane bench options.

Those suggesting the Lions aren’t taking anything out of the first four games are ignoring the finessing Gatland is doing with his structure. You can’t contrive a warm-up game to prepare these lads for the last 20 minutes of a Test match anyway. The pressure of sticking together, buying into Gatland’s game plan. When the pressure is at bursting point, do you revert to type or have the mental strength to stick with the gameplan? If it’s the former, a team breaks itself against ten different pieces.

The forward combination for Brisbane is far more difficult to select. I can’t pretend I know a lot about front row play so to offer my opinion would be a waste of your time. O’Connell and Wyn-Jones will start in the second row and I’d select Warburton and Heaslip in the back row along with Sean O’Brien. Gatland will look for a lineout option at six, which will big up Tom Croft’s chances. The back row is by far the most competitive unit and a combination of Croft, Toby Faletau and Justin Tipuric also has its merits.

Rob Kearney and Simon Zebo will both get game time tomorrow in Sydney but featuring in the first Test will be extremely difficult given their limited exposure thus far. Rob’s injury was particularly untimely but even if he was on top form, I’m not sure it would make a difference. Halfpenny looks like he will be given the responsibility of goal-kicking and this role cannot be underestimated. Kicking goals under pressure is what Test rugby is all about and usually the side with the more proven goal kicker wins the series. Advantage Lions.

Zebo could be the bolter of the tour. He will struggle to get in the first Test team but after that who knows? He is in a straight shoot-out with Cuthbert and as we know Gatland loves a curve ball. Having a left-footed kicker adds immeasurably to the team’s kicking game with the ability to manipulate the Australian back three. If you’ve a right-footed ten and you put your left footer at first receiver, there has to be tracts of land the Wallabies cannot cover.

Zebo needs to get his basics right tomorrow. Get mentally in tune and appreciate the step up from USA-Ireland. He needs to think about that.

The boldened bit is a gem.... I love that man...
                        He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

If you look at Twitter, he and Pikey are actually quite friendly.

Comment

meaning Anthony Foley will be surplus to requirements and return to Munster. Axel has so much to offer on both fronts. He was impressive coaching the defence throughout the autumn and the Six Nations and is a natural coach. He’s very sharp when it comes to rugby and in my view is a readymade forwards coach for the national set-up, even if his front of house manner could do with some work ahead of becoming a head coach SOMEWHERE.
                            Read between the lines of that one ! :)

Comment

I wouldn't read too much into that. Both parts in bold aren't in the original column. Poster is acting the maggot.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland...en-234143.html

Comment

Originally posted by Point View Post
                                Read between the lines of that one ! :)
                                I wouldn't read too much into it. Neither part in bold is in the original column. Poster is acting the maggot.

Comment

Working...
                                X