No announcement yet.

Ronan O'Gara's column in the Examiner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jesus, that's a fine, fine piece of writing. One line in particular leapt out at me: "the first place you look for leadership is in the mirror". THAT should be written on the walls of every Munster dressing room.
    Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

So did I, but sure they only produce half decent hurlers ;-)

Comment

Good on you ROG
        I want to see anger too..said it last week..I want to see snarling..gnashing of teeth blood Red eyes..ferocity..feral aggression..and I'm talking about the players.
        Otherwise my howling screeching blood letting will be at Our Team..not opposition or ref.😡😡😡😡👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹
        Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. (Marcus Aurelius, 121-189 AD)

Comment

Originally posted by Thomond78 View Post
          Jesus, that's a fine, fine piece of writing. One line in particular leapt out at me: "the first place you look for leadership is in the mirror". THAT should be written on the walls of every Munster dressing room.
          and the management suite too

Comment

Hell, the rate they're annexing chunks of it, all of Clare will be in Limerick soon enough...
            Trés drole.

Comment

Originally posted by PARISHMAN1970 View Post
              RONAN O'GARA: There comes a stage when you have to get angry

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/c...ry-376385.html
              Jaysus. I enjoy his articles, and you always have to listen to somebody with his experience and knowledge, but this article says close to nothing.

Get angry?

The 22 that won the 2006 HC had 6 Lions starting and 3 on the bench. The 22 in 2008 started 8 Lions with 1 on the bench. The pack both times was 8 internationals, the basis of a grand slam pack.

That was a world class club team. Full of leaders and experience. And class.

When that team dipped into poor form they could get angry. A team like that could overcome the ridiculous set up of 2 bases. Based on Munster rugby club politics not logic. They could dig deep and get their mentality sorted and beat anybody when they put their mind to it. And they beat everybody.

The current team has had bad luck with a number of potential leaders ending their careers early. Those with insider knowledge are saying the academy is only getting up to speed.

Ultimately on paper the team is weaker than any time in the last 20 years. There are players with potential. And a few world class players.

The short term solution might be get angry.

I agree to an extent that the "Munster brand has been wasted" to quote Liam Toland and paraphrase Alan Quinlan.

The longer term solution is get a better team onto the pitch. It won't just happen. The AIL and Munster club rugby produced the team that won 2 HC and most of a grand slam team. And it took time and plenty of pain.

It requires an academy (in progress). It requires more money (Ulster / Leinster tapped into their networks, surely Munster rugby has a network to tap into). It requires a broader view of transferring Irish players. It requires 1 base (next year). In my opinion it requires giving Anthony Foley more time and more support.

Short term the focus has to be get into the EC for next year. Whatever it takes.

Comment

Mmm. Probably another line he heard from Paulie :o

Comment

Well it settles one thing anyway: ROG reads this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by eoinlyons View Post
                    jaysus. I enjoy his articles, and you always have to listen to somebody with his experience and knowledge, but this article says close to nothing.

Get angry?

The 22 that won the 2006 hc had 6 lions starting and 3 on the bench. The 22 in 2008 started 8 lions with 1 on the bench. The pack both times was 8 internationals, the basis of a grand slam pack.

That was a world class club team. Full of leaders and experience. And class.

When that team dipped into poor form they could get angry. A team like that could overcome the ridiculous set up of 2 bases. Based on munster rugby club politics not logic. They could dig deep and get their mentality sorted and beat anybody when they put their mind to it. And they beat everybody.

The current team has had bad luck with a number of potential leaders ending their careers early. Those with insider knowledge are saying the academy is only getting up to speed.

Ultimately on paper the team is weaker than any time in the last 20 years. There are players with potential. And a few world class players.

The short term solution might be get angry.

I agree to an extent that the "munster brand has been wasted" to quote liam toland and paraphrase alan quinlan.

The longer term solution is get a better team onto the pitch. It won't just happen. The ail and munster club rugby produced the team that won 2 hc and most of a grand slam team. And it took time and plenty of pain.

It requires an academy (in progress). It requires more money (ulster / leinster tapped into their networks, surely munster rugby has a network to tap into). It requires a broader view of transferring irish players. It requires 1 base (next year). In my opinion it requires giving anthony foley more time and more support.

Short term the focus has to be get into the ec for next year. Whatever it takes.
                    tl ; dr
                    My computer thinks I'm gay
                    What's the difference anyway
                    When all the people do all day
                    Is stare into a phone

Comment

Ronan O'Gara's column in the Examiner

Iffy enough article imo.

If you're not good enough, it doesn't matter how angry you get. How long will anger keep them going if they are out of the match after 60 minutes?

On the single training base, I think he is saying, indirectly, that it was - probably - necessary, but it should have been in Cork. I share the latter view. But I think he should have come out and said it straight.

It must be difficult for a former Munster player to come up with fresh themes when the team plays the same rubbish all the time.

Always worth a read though, although I wish people around here didn't treat every article like gems of prose.
                      Last edited by blackwarrior; 15-January-2016, 13:52.
                      "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                      Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Originally posted by blackwarrior View Post

Always worth a read though, although I wish people around here didn't treat every article as gems of prose.
                        Why, its an opinion. Do you want to tell them how to think on other issues too?
                        My computer thinks I'm gay
                        What's the difference anyway
                        When all the people do all day
                        Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
                          Well it settles one thing anyway: ROG reads this forum.
                          Only the important opinions. ;)
                          Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

Very good article. Good to see him backing a rejuvenated and well suppoted AIL as a potential source of future talent. Great minds and all that.
                            A lion online, a lamb at home.

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
                              Why, its an opinion. Do you want to tell them how to think on other issues too?
                              On your first question, I feel there's sycophantic reaction to the utterances of former legends, understandably, but it can lead to unquestioned conclusions like "we can't wait to have ROG and/or POC coaching us".

Obviously guys who are writing columns about Munster will get an easier ride than those in the coaching bear-pit like Foley. That's business. I just think that ROG gets a bit of a freebie whenever he writes.

God knows what it will be like if Paulie starts sending in columns (I'd think twice myself about challenging him, even anonymously :smile2:).
                              "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                              Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

I'm sure the turmoil here won't have gone unnoticed in Paris, and if they have any sense, will have prepared for an angry reaction.

Comment

Working...
                                X