Ronan O'Gara's column in the Examiner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Evil Omer View Post
    your comment about why we fail to get from the real talents is the point I'm coming to as well. We can over produce from solid or good guys, ROG and Strings were over achievers, neither should have been as successful as they have been. But, we don't have the ability to take the genuine talent we do get, real stellar talent and get those guys to their peak. You're right, others have also failed, but how often do NZ produce a stellar age talent that just fizzles out through development (rather than injury). The mentality is different and that's the key here, our mentality is still caught between pro training and amateur earn your place, wait your turn ethos.
    I would guess that there are as many, if not more "Next Big Thing" underage stars in New Zealand that don't make it to the top. I am not close enough to their underage player base to know.

If you are looking for examples try Steven Donald and Carlos Spencer. Both came through with big reputations but neither develpoped into world class players. Spencer in particular had talent to burn. I could add Quade Cooper to that list.

The point you are either ignoring or missing is that rugby is more than a physical game. The top two inches are far more important in rugby than in many other sports.

A player can have all the physical talent in the world but it is of limited use without the right mental aptitude. Similarly a player can have physical limitations but still be a great player because of his mental strength, reading of the game and speed of thought.

Both aspects can be worked on but you need a base level to develop from.

Comment

For those who missed this weeks column from ROG with his view on the Lions and the Heineken draw...(and are not boycotting the Examiner after their billboard campaign) http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland...am-233516.html
      www.WestTerraceView.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dearg Doom View Post
        For those who missed this weeks column from ROG with his view on the Lions and the Heineken draw...(and are not boycotting the Examiner after their billboard campaign) http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland...am-233516.html
        thanks for the reminder .. I saw the billboard for clare on thursday evening alongside the N18 northbound just approaching cratloe. It's a photo of the cliffs of Moher with crime scene tape across it ..
        Plato: \"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.\"

Comment

billboard campaign... ?????
          He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Originally posted by i_like_cake View Post
            billboard campaign... ?????
            Went up in every county with the tag line "how safe is..."

Yellow police tape was put across a picture of the city in question.

Billboards put up in prominent locations (as you drive into the city in Limerick, outside the train station in Cork etc...) in a fairly crass marketing ploy.

Shrugged off almost everywhere but some noses seriously out of joint (understandibly? hhhmmm, maybe...) in Limerick
            \"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane\"

Comment

Thanks Colliniho..... not been home in a while...

Originally posted by Ronan O Gara View Post
              Even in a time zone two worlds away, the Heineken Cup draw for next season was digested with breakfast yesterday.

Munster’s draw looks good, there’s every possibility of a productive 2014 there. Racing Metro’s pool is difficult but not insurmountable.

In Harlequins and Clermont, I’ll have played two of the teams in the recent campaign and should be of assistance to my new club.
              wow... really hits home now that he is not with us next year....
              He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

\"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane\"

Comment

Originally posted by Colliniho View Post
                  So wait, every major city/county in Munster was on the billboards but people in Limerick kicked off about it?

Why?
                  To The Brave and the Faithful, Nothing is Unpublishable.

Comment

Originally posted by joeriddick View Post
                    So wait, every major city/county in Munster was on the billboards but people in Limerick kicked off about it?

Why?
                    When you look at the history of the "Crime" thread here, why do you think?

Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	S.Complex.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	2477399
                      A lion online, a lamb at home.

Comment

That's pathetic.

Crime happens everywhere, including Limerick. Who gives a ****?
                        To The Brave and the Faithful, Nothing is Unpublishable.

Comment

Originally posted by joeriddick View Post

Why?
                          maybe 'cos the limerick one was in the centre of the city by the railway station .... or they hadn't heard about the others before they reacted. I've only seen the clare one where I mentioned previously, I've no idea if it's anywhere else around the county / country.
                          Anyhow I'd doubt Bord Failte are at all happy about the Billboards given the timing right at the start of the tourist season !
                          Plato: \"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.\"

Comment

My thoughts as well LL!!

Mild mannered yanks driving in from the airports in their Nissan Micra's seeing all these alarmist billboards :)
                            I am the million man.

Comment

Ahem.

Name:	\resources\images\faculty\hunt_william.jpg
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	2477403
                              Now see here Mister Thomond78 - if indeed that IS your real name - even though it was someone from the county of CLARE who described the CLARE billboard, you appear to be directing criticism at the fine Limerick people of this here internet forum, for being SENsitive and for having a chip on their SHOULder.
                              And ALL this despite the fact that you hail from Cork and everything! My oh my ...

Ladies and gentlemen of the wise if rather strange-lookin jury, what do YOU think of this position?

Name:	spock.jpg
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	2477402Click image for larger version

ID:	2477402

Oh dear, oh dear - the jury do not appear to follow your logic, sir!
                              Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by lahinch_lass View Post
                                maybe 'cos the limerick one was in the centre of the city by the railway station .... or they hadn't heard about the others before they reacted. I've only seen the clare one where I mentioned previously, I've no idea if it's anywhere else around the county / country.
                                Anyhow I'd doubt Bord Failte are at all happy about the Billboards given the timing right at the start of the tourist season !
                                They're smack-bang in the middle of town here, too. No reaction.
                                Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

Working...
                                X