No announcement yet.

Ronan O'Gara's column in the Examiner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funnily enough I did think about him while typing it, although what held me back is it was only in his closing days he achieved anything like the ultimate level, e.g. Lions 2009. Superficially there are guys like him, Keith Wood, where you think wow how can you not say their achieved full potential but I still think there was more there, bits that could have been better or better earlier.
    \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

Comment

Originally posted by joeriddick View Post
      I'd add Wally to that list.
      And ROG. A man with that build, in the era when it went from subtlety to more raw power than an Iggy Pop tribute band, had simply no right to achieve the stunning list of accomplishments he did.
      Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey D View Post
        This will make interesting reading I'm sure:

http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/statz...olden_boot.php
        I'd love to kicking stats split into penalty kicks v try conversions. Some penalties are kicked to touch, avoiding a miss. Conversions are compulsory. That might change the table somewhat, but I have no idea how.
        "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
        Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

I'd add Wally to that list.
          Id also add Fla to this list, imo he was the best for an admittedly brief time before injury destroyed him...
          "I can't say, I'm the referee, I'm not your coach" - Romain Poite

Comment

Originally posted by Thomond78 View Post
            And ROG. A man with that build, in the era when it went from subtlety to more raw power than an Iggy Pop tribute band, had simply no right to achieve the stunning list of accomplishments he did.
            Yep.

Adding to EO's list I'd put the list of World Class Irish Players* in the pro era as;

1. BOD
            2. POC
            3. Keith Wood
            4. David Wallace
            5. Ronan O' Gara

*World class in this case defined as being one of the top 2 players in the world in their position for at least a two year period.
            To The Brave and the Faithful, Nothing is Unpublishable.

Comment

mmm. a little crack at ulster

Comment

and the drama continues........oh c'mon im just kidding

Comment

Originally posted by etcpostmaster View Post
                  mmm. a little crack at ulster
                  and the drama continues........oh c'mon im just kidding
                  It's like you're having a row with yourself.

Comment

Yep.

Adding to EO's list I'd put the list of World Class Irish Players* in the pro era as;

1. BOD
                    2. POC
                    3. Keith Wood
                    4. David Wallace
                    5. Ronan O' Gara

*World class in this case defined as being one of the top 2 players in the world in their position for at least a two year period.

wallace and ROG do not qualify by that criteria.

Comment

Yeah Im just having a row with myself....... hang on a minute.... NO.

Comment

And shouldnt you be asleep right now???? Seriously

Comment

Originally posted by ackbar View Post
                          Well Wallace does at least

Comment

Originally posted by Bash View Post
                            Id also add Fla to this list, imo he was the best for an admittedly brief time before injury destroyed him...
                            that's why I wouldn't say he was what I was talking about. What I'm saying is we have a few guys who have potential to be amazing and very few, BOD and POC, have truly reached that. ROG over achieved for me - was a top OH but honestly wasn't in the Carter level at international level. Was superb and a Munster legend but taking off red tints he isn't what I was talking about. Neither was Flannery, he briefly shone but he wasn't a dominant figure with huge potential turned into talent. Same for the others people have listed. Some achieved a huge amount from a decent position, Stringer for example, but I was talking about guys with huge potential achieving it. You can, for various reasons, add Fitzgerald and Earls to the list who haven't fulfilled their huge potential. Zebo, if he doesn't keep getting shafted (like being dropped after first cap for no reason) could be the next one to step up. But look at guys like Jones (big talent but injury has probably stopped him fully developing), Staunton and Duffy, guys who were top class as teens and went nowhere. I'd even argue d'Arcy is another example of not fully developing. Guy was as good in broken play as Jason Robinson but then turned into a head down donkey and we never saw what a great player he could have been.
                            \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

Comment

Look, no-one is in the Carter level at OH. He's the best there's ever been.
                              Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

Originally posted by ackbar View Post
                                Wallace does. For around 05/08 there wasn't a backrow other than McCaw that could touch him.

ROG just about sneaks in for me. I'd have him just behind Carter from 05/08 as with Wallace. His defense was never near world class but his try scoring record for a fly half is outstanding, he was a top class distributor of the ball and one of the best tactical and dead ball kickers of a rugby ball that there's ever been and he's done it at Pro12, H-Cup and Test level. That puts him in for me.

And shouldnt you be asleep right now???? Seriously
                                Nope. New York.

Comment

Working...
                                X