Ronan O'Gara's column in the Examiner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
    Fitting testimonial to a wonderful career and in a way to a wonderful competition - the Heineken Cup. At least when our kids watch that they will have some idea of what it meant to us all.
    Don't have the whole thing dead and buried just yet rb. My young daughter is still riding the wave with us all . I wouldn't write off the possibility that to some extent the next generation will still live some of the dream that we have. She's eight years old and won't sleep under any other duvet than a munster rugby one!

Comment

Up now on RTÉ Player

@RTErugby: #ROG is available here on @RTEPlayer http://t.co/LYdw3HxfDa

Comment

Legend Legend Legend Legend Legend Legend Legend Legend Legend Legend Legend Legend Legend Legend Legend Legend Legend Legend Legend Legend Legend Legend Legend Legend Legend Legend Legend Legend Legend Legend Legend Legend Legend Legend

That is all.
        "Strike me flamin' handsome!!!" - Alf Stewart

His body is only a fuel tank for his micky - a work colleague talking about a fella he knows.

Comment

Originally posted by kingtiger View Post
          http://veetle.com/v/52323c2b8e8bd

there you go

dont panic lads going to fix the skipping frame rate at the next advert

*edit* done should be a lot better now
          Is there anywhere I could download the doc?

I have tried using Hola unblocker to watch on Rte Player but think my internet speed is too slow.

Thanks

Comment

fantastic insight into a fantastic man
            couple of things stood out for me.

1. His relationship with Deccie really was tough. We often heard that, but to hear it from the man himself and his basically cutting remarks about Kidney said it all about them. The misconception that himself and Strings are best mates never came up but it seems pretty well known that they also would not be bosom buddies contrary to Jim Sherwins neverending "best friends" malarky

and

2. ROG is a much more humble guy than many would have you believe. No BS, no welsh like prima-donna rubbish, just a steely self belief in himself in the best possible way. Served him and his province and country well.

We didnt know what we had till it was gone.

Comment

Originally posted by lactose intolerant View Post
              "The highs never match the lows...."

Lads, that's horribly poignant!
              That's the bit that stood out for me also... that's where I think this constant striving, pushing, etc., comes from. I think he said something like he spends his time trying to avoid them too, which would go some way towards explaining the constant effort. It was also interesting that after they lose, they effectively hide out - not out of fear but out of shame to have lost and not being able to face fans on the street. It might temper some of the comments on here to know that, you never know... we live in hope...
              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Earls birthday,
                ROG.The lads were pointing out today im 10 years older than Keith that i could be his father but D Ryan said only in Nenagh.
                clowns

Comment

Good documentary and I think ROG said some very brave, honest, things that will no doubt be picked up on by some of his critics. Enjoyed watching it though. I'm currently just getting into Jonny Sextons book and was reading about his relationship with ROG in the early days only last night. Seems like they are very similar personalities and from the show last night they appear to be becoming good friends.
                  "They’re the benchmark that everyone else has to raise their game to meet." Alan Quinlan on Leinster

Comment

Originally posted by kingtiger View Post
                    http://veetle.com/v/52323c2b8e8bd

there you go

dont panic lads going to fix the skipping frame rate at the next advert

*edit* done should be a lot better now
                    Gutted I missed this last night.
                    Anyway to see it overseas now or in the future?
                    RTE are a shower of Jeremy Hunts.
                    they never let us watch anything.
                    english by birth

Comment

Excellent tv , thought he came across really well..

Comment

Originally posted by munster by marriage View Post
                        there are copyright issues with the match footage shown in the doc which aren't permitted to be shown outside Ireland. Don't think that's RTE's fault.
                        "Strike me flamin' handsome!!!" - Alf Stewart

His body is only a fuel tank for his micky - a work colleague talking about a fella he knows.

Comment

Originally posted by munster by marriage View Post
                          It's the same with every broadcaster and foreign audiences. You aren't paying a license fee or part of their sponsors target demographic so they'd have no reason to make it available either aside from the copyright issues.
                          You could try an Irish proxy for the rte player to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackdaniels View Post
                            The misconception that himself and Strings are best mates never came up but it seems pretty well known that they also would not be bosom buddies contrary to Jim Sherwins neverending "best friends" malarky
                            i picked up his book on the Kindle yesterday evening and he said in the opening pages that before he announced his decision to retire there were about 20 people outside the team/squad/Munster set-up who he wanted to contact first such was his regard for them and Stringer was one of them.
                            "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

Excellent documentary - made me look at players in a different light - more to rugby than 2 hours at Thomond at the week-end.
                              Good to see the banter with Sexton - must watch more Racing games going forward.

Some great memories - the conversion versus Saracens I watched on TV; my first H match v Stade Francaise in Limerick in 2000 QF; watching them beat Toulouse while on the boat back from Wales; the kick that drifted wide in the 2000 final (a win would have changed all the history of deliverance in 2006); losing in Twickers in 2002 when Joel missed the hand of Back; losing at Sale, winning in Leicester, beating Gloucester, Sale and Wasps, losing SF to Wasps while I flew to Lanzarote, week-end in Geneva and lucky to beat Bourgoin; Leinster in Lansdowne and redemption, joy and tears in Cardiff - Beating the saffer Saracens in Coventry and more glory against Toulouse; losing in Aviva to the Ladies; before the final leg last May in Montpelier and so close to major upset.

Thanks to all the players over the past 14+ years - is there any other sport where an Irish team have been at the top for so long? Just blessed to be there through the great times.

Finally thanks to ROG - a boot like a laser!
                              Last edited by galinka; 3rd-January-2014, 11:22. Reason: spelling errors

Comment

Originally posted by Reus View Post
                                It's the same with every broadcaster and foreign audiences. You aren't paying a license fee or part of their sponsors target demographic so they'd have no reason to make it available either aside from the copyright issues.
                                You could try an Irish proxy for the rte player to see it.
                                I can watch the News and things like the Dermot Morgan documentary so I don't think it's a license fee issue.
                                I think Elle is right as it does only seem to be sport that is the problem. Although how they can have copyright issues with a Waterford v Cork hurling match is a puzzle to me.
                                english by birth

Comment

Working...
                                X