Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ronan O'Gara's column in the Examiner

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Yeah tis only a game but for most part of my adult life that man has been intrinsically involved with so many highs and lows. He is without a doubt Mr. Heineken Cup
    Con Artist

    Comment


      Originally posted by valencia View Post
      you never know what you had till it's gone, or so the song says

      bollix

      everyone of us here knows what it meant to no longer have ronan o'gara. The man filled us with the dreams of what was possible

      huge love for the man. Gwan rog gwan munster

      looking forward to the day when you come home to your munster
      Anything seems possible now; economic stability, world peace, Conor O’Shea completing a sentence without being interrupted, even the permanent cessation of The X Factor feels within reach.
      RISTEARD COOPER The Irish Times - Thursday, September 22, 2011

      Comment


        If I was ever asked who my favourite Munster player was/is I'd always say Paulie & ROG. For 2 entirely different reasons but could never separate them. Was always proud to listen to their after game interviews. Erudite and honest
        Con Artist

        Comment


          "The highs never match the lows...."

          Lads, that's horribly poignant!
          "They think they know us, but they haven't a clue"

          Comment


            Originally posted by lactose intolerant View Post
            "The highs never match the lows...."

            Lads, that's horribly poignant!
            Because they felt that tis why we loved them & still do. A shared experience
            Con Artist

            Comment


              @irishexaminer: Here's a special souvenir Irish Examiner booklet on Ronan's glittering career. #ROG. http://t.co/TvBgOE5y5q

              Comment


                While I thought 'Unguarded' was only alright, bit too unstructured and meandering, seemed rushed to cash in on the christmas stocking filler market, didn't take any new insights from it though, I really enjoyed the documentary.

                Was explaining some of the things he was refering to to my wife during the show, and occasionally had to stop myself a few times just to be sure my voice would be steady. There may also have been a tear or two. Greatest personal memory of ROG is that try he scored against Leinster in 2006 - I was a steward at LR that day and actually on the pitch at the time. So awesome. That, plus the kick against Saracens in 2000, well, and of course the countless other times he changed despair to elation with a drop goal, kick pass or even, when we knew he wasn't a great tackler, fearlessly offering himself up as road kill for an incoming back rower while someone else came through to complete the tackle. Greatest memory in a green jersey - the drop goal for the slam, beating the Aussies in 2002 (watched in Australia), probably followed by that cross field kick to Shaggy in Croke Park.

                Ah, the memories. Worst memory of ROG: watching him captain Munster in the Rabo and seeing his face go red and splotchy and knowing that we were about to lose as a result :)
                Believe.

                Comment


                  still can't believe he is gone, just cause he is coaching makes no difference,when the world is attacked by mutant aliens, I know I'll be on Rogs' team
                  "You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!"

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Valencia View Post
                    If I was ever asked who my favourite Munster player was/is I'd always say Paulie & ROG. For 2 entirely different reasons but could never separate them. Was always proud to listen to their after game interviews. Erudite and honest
                    Wallace in there for me too for Munster and Ireland. And Hayes. And stringer. And...
                    "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Gaillimh View Post
                      While I thought 'Unguarded' was only alright, bit too unstructured and meandering, seemed rushed to cash in on the christmas stocking filler market, didn't take any new insights from it though, I really enjoyed the documentary.

                      Was explaining some of the things he was refering to to my wife during the show, and occasionally had to stop myself a few times just to be sure my voice would be steady. There may also have been a tear or two. Greatest personal memory of ROG is that try he scored against Leinster in 2006 - I was a steward at LR that day and actually on the pitch at the time. So awesome. That, plus the kick against Saracens in 2000, well, and of course the countless other times he changed despair to elation with a drop goal, kick pass or even, when we knew he wasn't a great tackler, fearlessly offering himself up as road kill for an incoming back rower while someone else came through to complete the tackle. Greatest memory in a green jersey - the drop goal for the slam, beating the Aussies in 2002 (watched in Australia), probably followed by that cross field kick to Shaggy in Croke Park.

                      Ah, the memories. Worst memory of ROG: watching him captain Munster in the Rabo and seeing his face go red and splotchy and knowing that we were about to lose as a result :)
                      Always felt the same thing, when ROG looked red faced and stressed it rarely ended well, but when he looked relaxed anything and everything was possible.

                      We had an au pair a few years ago from Germany who was absolutely mad about Ronan, when they won the cup in 2006 someone told me he and Donners were up in the local primary school. I rang her and she sprinted the whole mile up to the school for a treasured photo with the two lads. She's due her own baby now, so going to get a copy of unguarded for her as a pressie
                      Con Artist

                      Comment


                        To add ,Great documentary, loved the 2006 bit , for me a day I will never forget , being in that stadium
                        and the feeling at the final whistle , cried my eyes out . Came across my souvenir programme again over the Christmas , thought it was lost , unexpected present !. Thanks rog for the memories .
                        Still there's a light I hold before me
                        You're the measure of my dreams
                        The measure of my dreams.

                        Comment


                          When ROG and POC lifted the trophy. POC was having none if it, ROG was lifting it with him.

                          Click image for larger version

Name:	article-1021806-0160D59600000578-335_468x289.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	2478539
                          Last edited by Stringer9; 3rd-January-2014, 00:06.
                          The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

                          Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

                          The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by theghost View Post
                            To add ,Great documentary, loved the 2006 bit , for me a day I will never forget , being in that stadium
                            and the feeling at the final whistle , cried my eyes out . Came across my souvenir programme again over the Christmas , thought it was lost , unexpected present !. Thanks rog for the memories .
                            Grown men shameless crying their eyes out. One of my greatest memories as a Munster fan.
                            The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

                            Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

                            The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

                            Comment


                              Fitting testimonial to a wonderful career and in a way to a wonderful competition - the Heineken Cup. At least when our kids watch that they will have some idea of what it meant to us all.
                              Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

                              Comment


                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cedgd4Qtuw

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X