Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ronan O'Gara's column in the Examiner

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by nuke View Post
    Sexton can run the game and let halfpenny kick
    Probably the best option.

    Hogg must be fancying his changes of a test bench berth, though.
    Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by Thomond78 View Post
      Mickey D, if you want to stand up and claim Sexton kicks the same way in a green or red jersey that he does in a blue one, then Godspeed and good luck. You'll need it in the teeth of three and a half years of evidence to the contrary.
      ;) 3 and a half years or 20 minutes?

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by Mickey D View Post
        ;) 3 and a half years or 20 minutes?
        40% success. Bang in line with what we've come to expect - watched through our fingers.

        You'd wonder was Dai Young sneaking on a ROG mask up in the stands...

        And if it happens again tomorrow, young master 1/2d will be virtually nailed on for the test 15. Which would also give me pause, btw, because that, then, would be two vital players the Crims could target knowing the alternatives are pretty poor by comparison.

        This is not a strong Lions, at all. The blessing is, while most Lions teams of the last 20 years would take them (the 1993 and 2001 teams were, IMO, better than the 1997 ones; 1997 got lucky that the Bokke were in disarray and had no kicker, while 1993 were robbed by a ref and 2001 had Hill taken out, Wilko turning the series with the ball to Roff and throwing away a series they should have walked in the last test). The 2009 Lions would, IMO, hammer these ones. The blessing is, they're not up against the 2009 Bokke or the 2005 ABs (who would beat anyone handily - and pretty much did).
        Last edited by Thomond78; 4-June-2013, 15:04.
        Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

        Comment


          #19
          tbf sexton missed two difficult touchline conversions by inches! one easier one he also missed by inches! farrell hadnt a tough one all game (missed an easy one too) but still slytherin sports will have us belive he is a great player

          edit: why toby flood and bigger werent brought even madigan has better kicking stats and potential and experience or at least temperment than farrell

          daddys pick:_paranoid__rvmp_by_
          Last edited by Bash; 4-June-2013, 16:12.
          "I can't say, I'm the referee, I'm not your coach" - Romain Poite

          Comment


            #20
            Biggar, in particular, must be looking on in disbelief as he, the 10 for the 6N champions who recently demolished Farrell's team, is off to Japan while the media are bigging up a) a player he comprehensively bested and b) someone who was a great international player a decade ago but who's been out of test rugby for far, far too long to be a serious contender.

            What the hell did he do?
            Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

            Comment


              #21
              Given that the Welsh management preferred Priestland for extended periods, I think it is safe to assume that Biggar is not highly rated by this coaching ticket.

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by Bash View Post
                tbf sexton missed two difficult touchline conversions by inches! one easier one he also missed by inches! farrell hadnt a tough one all game (missed an easy one too) but still slytherin sports will have us belive he is a great player

                edit: why toby flood and bigger werent brought even madigan has better kicking stats and potential and experience or at least temperment than farrell

                daddys pick:_paranoid__rvmp_by_

                I really don't get Farrell hype. Even worse when see a genuine talent like Hanrahan barely able to get Rabo games and this guy on Lions tour. Highlights two things for me. One Munster really struggles to deal with talented backs and still believes in the serve your time til mid 20s idea unless everyone else is injured. Two English rugby not only over hypes average players but also at OH loves guys who can kick goals over genuine rugby talent.
                \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by Evil Omer View Post
                  I really don't get Farrell hype. Even worse when see a genuine talent like Hanrahan barely able to get Rabo games and this guy on Lions tour. Highlights two things for me. One Munster really struggles to deal with talented backs and still believes in the serve your time til mid 20s idea unless everyone else is injured. Two English rugby not only over hypes average players but also at OH loves guys who can kick goals over genuine rugby talent.
                  JJ's going to be shooting for a starting H-Cup 10 jersey this coming season. If he was good enough the season just past, he'll be more than good enough this coming season.
                  To The Brave and the Faithful, Nothing is Unpublishable.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by HurlerOnDeDitch View Post
                    Given that the Welsh management preferred Priestland for extended periods, I think it is safe to assume that Biggar is not highly rated by this coaching ticket.
                    Priestland is the superior player by far anyway so of course they would prefer him :_confused__rvmp_by_

                    Priestland is the only one who could really hold a candle to sexton outside of madigan!
                    "I can't say, I'm the referee, I'm not your coach" - Romain Poite

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by Evil Omer View Post
                      I really don't get Farrell hype. Even worse when see a genuine talent like Hanrahan barely able to get Rabo games and this guy on Lions tour. Highlights two things for me. One Munster really struggles to deal with talented backs and still believes in the serve your time til mid 20s idea unless everyone else is injured. Two English rugby not only over hypes average players but also at OH loves guys who can kick goals over genuine rugby talent.
                      JJ is still a little under developed for my liking still. The only way to fix that is train like a dog till he improves. Its only his attitude that can do it but im sure he will get there.

                      I think its a combination of factors though EO, some of those young players get complacent and reckon ill just wait now till hes retired and then ill get my nest too rather than the ruthless streak in new zealand where young guy will work his bollox off untill he usurps the guy ahead. i also think that coaching at the younger age groups isnt as good as other countrys like new zealand
                      "I can't say, I'm the referee, I'm not your coach" - Romain Poite

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by Bash View Post
                        tbf sexton missed two difficult touchline conversions by inches! one easier one he also missed by inches! farrell hadnt a tough one all game (missed an easy one too) but still slytherin sports will have us belive he is a great player

                        edit: why toby flood and bigger werent brought even madigan has better kicking stats and potential and experience or at least temperment than farrell

                        daddys pick:_paranoid__rvmp_by_
                        Farrell had a crap first game. He passed to people's feet and tackled like a woman who just painted her nails.
                        Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          His head is always crooked. Even his haircut is crooked.
                          I am the million man.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                            His head is always crooked. Even his haircut is crooked.
                            And he's always suspicious of the goal posts. Where did the goal posts touch you Owen? What did they do?
                            To The Brave and the Faithful, Nothing is Unpublishable.

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by Bash View Post
                              JJ is still a little under developed for my liking still. The only way to fix that is train like a dog till he improves. Its only his attitude that can do it but im sure he will get there.

                              I think its a combination of factors though EO, some of those young players get complacent and reckon ill just wait now till hes retired and then ill get my nest too rather than the ruthless streak in new zealand where young guy will work his bollox off untill he usurps the guy ahead. i also think that coaching at the younger age groups isnt as good as other countrys like new zealand
                              agree with your last comment, the turnaround from potential to actual is appalling for Ireland. Staunton would almost certainly have gone further in NZ, purely because they know how to develop talent. Having said that, I'm not sure I agree with your thing about players getting comfy, some probably do but I'd blame the way that (in Munster in particular) injury is the single biggest promotion factor and has been for years. It's difficult for a guy watching someone like ROG playing pants, having just been voted the best OH in the U20s world cup, knowing that ROG is there no matter what. Same with others and same has possibly happened with Ireland as well over the years. We need a shake up of phenomenal standards to step on but it won't happen because the amateur game still strongly influences the pro game in Ireland. Said this a few times now, only BOD and POC of the real talents of the last 20 years have truly come close to reaching their true full potential.
                              Last edited by Evil Omer; 4-June-2013, 21:26.
                              \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by Evil Omer View Post
                                agree with your last comment, the turnaround from potential to actual is appalling for Ireland. Staunton would almost certainly have gone further in NZ, purely because they know how to develop talent. Having said that, I'm not sure I agree with your thing about players getting comfy, some probably do but I'd blame the way that (in Munster in particular) injury is the single biggest promotion factor and has been for years. It's difficult for a guy watching someone like ROG playing pants, having just been voted the best OH in the U20s world cup, knowing that ROG is there no matter what. Same with others and same has possibly happened with Ireland as well over the years. We need a shake up of phenomenal standards to step on but it won't happen because the amateur game still strongly influences the pro game in Ireland. Said this a few times now, only BOD and POC of the real talents of the last 20 years have truly come close to reaching their true full potential.
                                I'd add Wally to that list.
                                To The Brave and the Faithful, Nothing is Unpublishable.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X