No announcement yet.

Ronan O'Gara's column in the Examiner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone want a stream of the ROG documentary tonight?

Comment

Originally posted by kingtiger View Post
      anyone want a stream of the ROG documentary tonight?
      Yes please!
      The whole world cries out peace, freedom and a few less fat bastards eating all the pie.

Comment

grand, I will post tonight when the stream is up

Comment

Originally posted by frombrittany View Post
          RO'G could coach in French 3rd league
          http://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/federa...47/story.shtml
          Was that friend of his a former coach with the Miami Dolphins ?

Comment

What is his book like, i read the 1st one and found it very good, to be honest i'm getting really sick of his obsession with Sexton so if the book is laden with Sexton I'll give it a skip.
            "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpasimpson View Post
              What is his book like, i read the 1st one and found it very good, to be honest i'm getting really sick of his obsession with Sexton so if the book is laden with Sexton I'll give it a skip.
              Hi GPA, got it for Christmas, a copy signed by himself, from myself! Have read it twice and it is a breathtakingly candid book, e.g.
              Unguarded [page 40]
              "Admittedly it is a difficult subject for me to comment on because I am a one-club man, but there have definitely been times, in latter years, when I've felt that the whole thing has become diluted. It's become dominated by people who aren't from the province, and I think that needs to be addressed. There are some great rugby brains in Munster yet at times we're happy to pass the coaching responsibility to outside coaches. Maybe they are the best, but there should be a strong local manager and at least 50 per cent of the coaches should be if not local then Irish, men who are in touch with history and understand the ethos."
              Yes, there is a fair bit about Sexton, but it forms only a mediumish part of the book.
              His views on Munster rugby HQ/decision-makers; Special Project Players qualifying for Ireland (he says 10 years!) incl Stander and Strauss; having Dougie working now with players etc are really interesting and the usual ROG candidness is everywhere. Best rugby book for years. I will be playing special attention to Irish Times rugby news as I see that ROG collaborated on the book with Thornley, and I cannot see ROG not commenting in one way or another. For some Munsterfans, ROGs devotion to Ireland will be somewhat surprising but he plainly just loves the green jersey and what it means.

Comment

I'm eagerly waiting for my dad to finish the copy I bought him for Christmas so he'll lend it to me. I have the first one laying around somewhere but never got chance to read it.

Comment

Originally posted by Point View Post
                  Was that friend of his a former coach with the Miami Dolphins ?
                  Tut, tut Point. ROG was, after BOD, the most lusted after Irish player for the biggest French clubs, since about 2002. His stature in French rugby lore is legendary, as his selection as most influential player of the first 15 HEC years indicates. Think one of the things jumping out of Unguarded is his devotion to both Munster and Ireland, and his ease in generally negotiating directly himself with the IRFU, only turning to an agent (Baker) in 2007. Whatever about Miami Dolphins, he and another few Irish players, could easily, and at any time they chose, gone to the very biggest clubs in France and for Sextonesque money, if not even more. And had he gone to France, and with his kicking game intact, he would still IMHO be playing a la Dominguez or Yachvili.

Comment

It's a series of observations strung together over a couple of hundred pages with the occasional pearl in there. There's a great description of the Clermont semi. Kidney damned with faint praise and Schmidt showered with garlands. And he's mainly silent on Penney and Mannix but there's plenty of implied criticism though mainly abut off field stuff - like DOC not getting invited to travel with the team to Clermont. He's also critical of a number of Munster youngsters (Zebo) and raves about Earls.
                    Nice insight into French rugby set up and a cameo of ROG walking to the ground for his first RM game and the local fans shouting his name.
                    Very mixed bag.
                    Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

Also marvellous description, almost stream of consciousness, about the lead up to that legendary drop goal against Saints.

Comment

It's not great. Let's say he doesn't lack confidence.

Comment

excellent ..

Comment

No - it's not obsessed with Sexton. If anything, in the years that ROG was warming the bench for Ireland (his last 17 caps or so?), he keeps making the point that he (ROG) kicked 10/12/15 points in some Munster match leading up to internationals, therefore he should start for Ireland, etc., etc.

However, one way to describe the book is a series of enlightening conversations with Thornley where he doesn't hold back, least of all with regard to himself. One interesting piece is when he inserts the entire text of an email that his father sent him the morning of the Clermont match - really shows the nature of the relationship there.

Overall, worth reading.
                            "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                            Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Originally posted by tickettout
                              Any luck?

there you go :)

dont panic lads going to fix the skipping frame rate at the next advert

*edit* done should be a lot better now
                              Last edited by kingtiger; 15th-January-2014, 11:09.

Comment

Just watching the documentary. Didn't think it was possible but the guy has gone up in my estimation. He is flawed like the rest of us but a genuine and proud man. I can't wait for the day till I'm following a Munster team once again led by him.

You are missed ROG, learn quickly and come back to us!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X