Ronan O'Gara's column in the Examiner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I enjoyed Axel and Rog's books, DOCs was ok but hated quinnies one
    "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Read Rog's first book and Doc's as well. Enjoyed both of them
      Latine mottos non sunt omnes qui
      Do not try to bend the spoon — that's impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth: there is no spoon.

Comment

Jason Leonard's book is well worth a read.

Comment

Extract from article in today's Indo

" At Munster, his incipient decline last season wasn't always, he feels, down to him alone. He recalls being replaced in a game against Edinburgh when the team imploded after his departure."That's when I had an outburst in the changing-room with Simon Mannix, our backs coach. 'Why would you make those changes?' I asked.
          "Changing three decision-makers! You and the coach are on about us trusting the new game plan, but you've got to trust your players a little more.'"

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugb...-29733621.html

Comment

Originally posted by PARISHMAN1970 View Post
            Extract from article in today's Indo

" At Munster, his incipient decline last season wasn't always, he feels, down to him alone. He recalls being replaced in a game against Edinburgh when the team imploded after his departure."That's when I had an outburst in the changing-room with Simon Mannix, our backs coach. 'Why would you make those changes?' I asked.
            "Changing three decision-makers! You and the coach are on about us trusting the new game plan, but you've got to trust your players a little more.'"

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugb...-29733621.html
            He makes a good point about those changes, I have a big problem with our current policy, or what looks like a policy, of bringing Keatley off (or moving him to FB) at the latter end of games. Again v Ospreys he was hauled off with over 10/15 to go, how is he going to learn to close out games if that's happening reqularly. If we make a quarter or a semi and its a tight tight game, are we going to leave him there (with no real seasonal experience of closing this type of game), or haul him off stick JJ in and see what happens.

No direspect to JJ-he needs games also, but keats is No 1 now and coaches need to trust him

Comment

Originally posted by POC Lost Tooth View Post
              He makes a good point about those changes, I have a big problem with our current policy, or what looks like a policy, of bringing Keatley off (or moving him to FB) at the latter end of games. Again v Ospreys he was hauled off with over 10/15 to go, how is he going to learn to close out games if that's happening reqularly. If we make a quarter or a semi and its a tight tight game, are we going to leave him there (with no real seasonal experience of closing this type of game), or haul him off stick JJ in and see what happens.

No direspect to JJ-he needs games also, but keats is No 1 now and coaches need to trust him
              It might be harsh on Keatley but I'd give the converse argument and ask why should Keatley be continually viewed as the No. 1 if JJ continues to outperform him when he's given the starting jersey.

Just taking the last two games as a tiny sample; JJ has a wonderful game against Glasgow (IMO a more complete performance than anything we've seen from Keatley all season) but still in the next match comes along and Keatley is parachuted back in. Keatley then had a very poor 70 mins against Ospreys, so surely JJ deserved to be brought on as sub at the very least.

I personally don't think Keatley has done enough to earn that right to be just automatically selected regarldless of JJ's form, and certainly our backs as a unit haven't played well enough to suggest we shouldn't try to see if JJ can't get the backs moving with his superior (IMO) passing skills and his side step to stop the defense drifting so easily.

I'd like to see them both get equal oppurtunities for the rest of the season and who ever plays better should start the big games. At the moment it looks like Keatley has been appointed No. 1 and will start the big games regardless of whether JJ plays better than him when given his oppurtunities (which he has done IMO, particularly in goal kicking but also in general play).

Comment

Originally posted by POC Lost Tooth View Post

He was taken off with 20 to go because he was playing like a drain. No complaints about that one.
                Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

More extracts tomorrow???

Comment

Reading it now. So far so good

Comment

Originally posted by LLCOOLJ14 View Post
                      yea, it was talked about during the summer and there have been a few signing sessions announced. It's being released this week hence the newspaper appearance. Same publishers as his first book. Gerry Thornley co- writer

any news on book signings?

Comment

"The Queen" of where exactly?
                        Originally posted by skinnyryan View Post
                        On the Queen B...
                        ‘If I didn’t like the Queen ... I wouldn’t have travelled’

On meeting Queen Elizabeth: A trip north ends up with O’Gara being accused of disrespecting the monarch

The Ireland squad had been invited to an official congratulations ceremony with Her Majesty in recognition of the Grand Slam. I wouldn’t have much knowledge about the royal family, though I admired Princess Diana.
                        I met Prince William on Lions tours and after we beat Wales in Cardiff. He was approachable and friendly in the changing-rooms, and himself and Jessica got on well when they chatted. He told her that he hadn’t understood a word I’d said.
                        I’ve sometimes been slagged by Munster and Irish mates that I look a little like him too. I’d also enjoyed a good ‘session’ in a group including Mike Tindall and Zara Phillips after an Ireland England game in Dublin when we slipped out the side door of the Shelbourne and were driven to Krystle nightclub.
                        That was the extent of my knowledge of the royal family.
                        It was optional for players to attend the reception but as a senior player I felt I should do so. This involved a flight from Cork and a train, so it was a big commitment. If I didn’t like the Queen, or if I’d strong feelings about the monarchy, I wouldn’t have travelled to Belfast.

Private function
                        We were in a private function for two and a half hours. We drank tea out of china, chatted with various people,and the atmosphere was very relaxed. We were advised about the protocol when meeting the Queen – how you stand and what you do.
                        I can still picture the moments before meeting her. I had sweaty palms. I like to think I present myself well, so I put them in my pockets to keep them dry. That’s also a habit of mine.
                        I was next in line to be introduced when an opportunistic photograph was taken a moment before I took my hands out of my pockets to greet her. If there is one thing I’d most like to clarify from my playing career,it is this incident. You don’t disrespect the Queen, and the way this image was presented to the world was appalling.
                        I was portrayed as a difficult Corkman. I received supportive letters, from rabid republicans! I am a very proud Irishman and a Catholic but I am not a republican. I don’t have any strong political feelings either way; I am not politically aligned.
                        Ninety percent of the Ulster team are Protestant and many of them are my friends. But irrespective of how strongly you feel, be it the Queen or the Pope or anyone in a powerful position, and especially a lady, I don’t believe you should be rude or treat them discourteously.

Amazing photo
                        It is an amazing photo. Brian’s face suggests something is happening. It couldn’t have been staged any better.We’d been informed that it was a private function, in which case the photo was a breach of confidence.
                        There were a few things that didn’t add up. Some people are so stupid for thinking it was a statement, that I was trying to insult the Queen.
                        The fallout was disturbing, and I’m glad to have an opportunity to explain what truly happened. It bothered me, and I wouldn’t be bothered by much.I’m thick-skinned, but I’d like to think as time has passed people would appreciate that I am respectful. Critics can slate the arse off me all they want, but this was about manners and respect.
                        This reflected on my upbringing, my parents, stuff that means something to me. I was described in the Irish Independent as a lout; Kevin Myers said it was “loutish behaviour”.
                        I understand it was largely my own fault, but it was never my intention to offend anyone. I wish I had taken my hands out of my pockets sooner. I was in a relaxed environment and I was looking forward to meeting the Queen, but it turned into a bit of a horror show.

Comment

With all due respect dubaicookie, she's in the picture if you had any doubts.

Comment

Really good piece in today's Paper. Have to say, while I presume a fair bit of it is ghost-written, it's developing a clear voice as a column, well-written, well-structured and some very, very interesting stuff and views. I thoroughly recommend it, so far as to say you should buy D'Exa for it.

I'd also say it's part of a growing wider stable of very good rugby writing in D'Exa.

Comment

Originally posted by tickettout
                              Have you a link T78?
                              I heard you can but this in a place called a newsagents (apparently)
                              "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by tickettout
                                Have you a link T78?
                                Link becomes available after, in effect, all De Papers that will be sold that day have been sold.

Comment

Working...
                                X