• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

O'Gara Confirms Retirement

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/1194...ng__rvmp_by_ba

[B]O'Gara Confirms Retirement[/B]
    18 May 2013, 12:08 amBy The Editor

Munster have announced that Ronan O'Gara has retired from playing professional rugby. It's understood that the 36 year old will take up a coaching role abroad at the start of the 2013/14 season.
    It’s understood that the 36 year old will take up a coaching role with Parisien club Racing Metro at the start of the 2013/14 season.
    Munster's most decorated player, O'Gara's been capped 240 times in a career that began in August 1997 and saw him steer Munster to Irish Interprovincial, Celtic League, Celtic Cup, Magners League and 2 Heineken cup titles in which time he scored a record 2625 points including 1365 Heineken cup points to become the all time leading points scorer in that competition, a feat unlikely to be surpassed

In addition he has been capped 128 times by Ireland and toured with the Lions on 3 occasions.

Dunno who to say to be honest, my words will never do justice to the man, times are changing very quickly at the moment.

A lot of good photo's here http://thescore.thejournal.ie/ogara-...de-slideshow40
    "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpasimpson View Post
      Dunno who to say to be honest, my words will never do justice to the man, times are changing very quickly at the moment.

A lot of good photo's here http://thescore.thejournal.ie/ogara-...de-slideshow40
      Every word is like an unnecessary stain on silence..,’

Rog is a legend nothing more to say

Comment

Heard it last night at the match in Dublin, Jonny Cash looked delighted.

Comment

And here he is sporting the new Munster jersey

Actually it's that photo made me realise that we'll never see him in a Munster jersey again

Comment

This new Daft Punk tune is really apt at the moment for ROG.

Comment

From Brive (it was very hot)....

Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
              Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Laoch .....Legend.

Comment

Heartbreaking, it's been tough for him these past two years but he never broke. He always came back stronger. His performances in the quarter's and semi's were classic ROG. I think with all the disappointment the past few years, losing him and Wally have been the biggest blows personally for me as a supporter.

Grand Slam Winner 2009.
                  Triple Crown 2004, 2006, 2007, 2009.
                  Triple B&I Lions Tourist 2001, 2005, 2009.
                  Heineken Cup Winner 2006, 2008.
                  Heineken Cup Runner Up 2000, 2002.
                  Heineken Cup All Time Leading Points Scorer 1,365.
                  Celtic League Winner 2003.
                  Magners' League Winner 2009, 2011.
                  AIB League Winner 1999.
                  All Time Top Munster Points Scorer 2,625.
                  Legend Of Irish Rugby.
                  Last edited by TomsOnTheRoof; 18th-May-2013, 12:26.

Comment

All the best with everything ROG and thank you thank you thank you for everything. Legend.

Comment

A bit of my life has dissapeared over the last few seasons with all the retirements but this takes the biscuit, Mr.Heineken Cup, the day he returns to coach Munster will be a great day. Absolute Hero

Comment

Originally posted by Kevy-Wevz View Post

All the best with everything ROG and thank you thank you thank you for everything. Legend.
                        I'm convinced the kid at 2:50 is POM

Comment

The man provided me with many happy memories in the green and, for those moments anyway, thanks Ronan. All the best to you in Paris.

Comment

This guy defies summing up. What piece of work is man and all that...
                            With any luck we will be seeing him again in the red of Munster in the future, pulling strings off the pitch and bringing us victories. He will always be Munster, like all the others who have retired in recent years. Thanks you for all you have done so far for us, bring on the future.
                            I find your lack of faith disturbing....

Comment

IRFU statement from Philip Browne:

Browne said in a statement:
                              The news that Ronan O’Gara has decided to retire from playing draws to a close an incredible career in which he established himself as an iconic figure in Irish rugby over the past decade or so.

“His arrival on the international scene will be forever remembered for that wonderful image of Ronan and his long-time scrum-half partner, Peter Stringer, on their international debut, being shepherded by Mick Galwey as they emotionally lined up for the national anthem.

“Ronan’s career since then has been stellar and marked by his extraordinary ability to deliver, time and again, for Ireland and Munster. His drop goal to seal Ireland’s Grand Slam victory at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff being arguably his finest hour.

“Irish rugby will undoubtedly miss his extraordinary talents but it is pleasing to see him continue his career within the game.

“We thank him for his total commitment and professionalism and wish him, his wife Jessica and family every good fortune into the future.”

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakin...re-594810.html
                              "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                              Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Working...
                              X