Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crouch, Bind, Set! Joe Riddick will have to start all over again :)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    ****ing get in!

    The hit is the biggest cause of sloppy rubbish at the scrum and this will give the real fat guys something valuable to work on bar crouch, touch, launch into each other, fall to the ground.

    I suspect a lot of the less technical props won't like this at all, because it takes away the insurance policy of the sloppy hit.
    To The Brave and the Faithful, Nothing is Unpublishable.

    Comment


      #17
      "Crouch & Hold........Engage" was replaced in Jan '07 in the NH by "Crouch.....touch....pause....engage" which lasted until june 2012 in the NH.

      I dont' remember when the crouch and hold bit was brought in pre '07 but i do remember seeing games from RWC03 on espn classic latley where i think the ref just said engage. I also think i saw the same happening in highlights of Wales '05 grand slam.

      Comment


        #18
        I can imagine why Healy is raging. Look at his build - he's entirely focused winning the hit with his power and pushing through and up before the TH can soak the hit and work him. These new rules will take away a huge part of his effectiveness. I wouldn't worry about this putting flankers in the front row, I'd worry about it removing 90% of the scrum offense of 80% of top level props.
        To The Brave and the Faithful, Nothing is Unpublishable.

        Comment


          #19
          Healy should be ok. He's strong as an ox, squat and low so should be able to bring his power to bear. It's the Sheridans of that will be sweating, I'd imagine.
          "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

          "Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy


          "I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

          Comment


            #20
            Hopefully it'll lead to a reduction in the amount time wasted and soft penalties that were being awarded, having the opp. scrum in trouble was the winning of a lot of games all on its own, but at least it appears an improvement taking the lottery of dropping the bind out of the equation, trying to grab a skin tight jersey on the engage was always a soft pen.

            Overall are they going to try award more Frees/less Pens?, awarding Scrum Pens that can't be kicked at goal would be something I think would be a good introduction

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
              Healy should be ok. He's strong as an ox, squat and low so should be able to bring his power to bear. It's the Sheridans of that will be sweating, I'd imagine.
              He should be OK, I'd agree. His power will be negated on such a limited hit distance though so he won't be able to launch as hard as he does (and he launches off as hard as anyone).
              To The Brave and the Faithful, Nothing is Unpublishable.

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by bazzyg View Post
                Hopefully it'll lead to a reduction in the amount time wasted and soft penalties that were being awarded, having the opp. scrum in trouble was the winning of a lot of games all on its own, but at least it appears an improvement taking the lottery of dropping the bind out of the equation, trying to grab a skin tight jersey on the engage was always a soft pen.

                Overall are they going to try award more Frees/less Pens?, awarding Scrum Pens that can't be kicked at goal would be something I think would be a good introduction
                They should give the dominant scrum 10m if the opposition illegally pull it down. That way, there's a reward for good scrummaging that doesn't decide matches on its own.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by Colliniho View Post
                  Cian Healy is going mental on twitter anyway.

                  Claiming it'll be Bye Bye to competitive rugby for the fat lads and that it'll just see 2 more flankers on the field
                  Adam Jones, by contrast, is grinning quietly.
                  Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Brian Moore seems to be happy with the concept of the new laws but skeptical about their enforcement ->
                    Brian Moore ‏@brianmoore666 23h IRB new scrum trials - they will work but only if they adhere strictly to the existing laws as they state they have told elite referees.
                    Plato: \"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.\"

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by Colliniho View Post
                      Cian Healy is going mental on twitter anyway.

                      Claiming it'll be Bye Bye to competitive rugby for the fat lads and that it'll just see 2 more flankers on the field
                      I just went to his Twitter. It is a silly place and I shan't be returning.

                      On this though, it'll make the scrum less of a penalty slot machine. It'll be blindingly obvious as to who's getting a rogering without the atom smasher complicating engagement.
                      To The Brave and the Faithful, Nothing is Unpublishable.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by joeriddick View Post
                        I just went to his Twitter. It is a silly place and I shan't be returning.

                        On this though, it'll make the scrum less of a penalty slot machine. It'll be blindingly obvious as to who's getting a rogering without the atom smasher complicating engagement.
                        he seems to have deleted whatever comments he made on the new IRB laws..
                        Plato: \"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.\"

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Like all new laws if the All Blacks keep winning they'll be grand if not the laws will be quietly forgotten about
                          Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Just heard this and have to say i'm delighted - might even get another couple of seasons under my belt yet.

                            A few old school props could find themselves back in 1st teams again.

                            Cian Healy is talking through his not inconsiderable hole on this. The scrum is all about physics and by removing the majority of the hit it will have the opposite effect to what he think will happen. Technical props will flourish and the big hit merchants may well struggle.

                            Comment


                              #29
                              You can see from the trial videos that the superior pack are still able to get the shove on, minus the collapse or any of the usual messing.

                              I, for one, welcome our new scrummaging overlords.

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by Armin Tamzarian View Post
                                As a matter of interest, can anyone remind me of the history of the the call:

                                Crouch, touch, set
                                Crouch, Touch, Pause, engage

                                what else has there been?
                                Engage!.. that was it

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X