Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i_like_cake
    replied
    Conway cheating at strip poker id say...

Leave a comment:

• Stanley
    replied
    Agassi's book is in the top 3 sports books ever, very, very good.

Leave a comment:

• Dougie
    replied
    Andy Lee: Oh my God, that's the man who scored that try against Toulon. And he responded when I said hello to him. Wow, that's pretty cool.

Leave a comment:

• Waterfordlad
    replied
    Another update from Andy's diary this week: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rug...edge-1.4219321

Even when it comes to training we need that competitive edge. I’ve been tipping away on my own but Conor Murray has a Wattbike as well, as does Rory Scannell and Stuart McCloskey, so we’ve been sending each other on our various assessments. It’s not quite the real thing with the lads in Munster’s HPC but it’s the best we can do for the moment.

‘Mur’ has sent me on his pedalling scores, so I’ll chase it to try and beat it, and then I’ll send him on another one. It has upped my training.

A fortnight ago, in anticipation of the lockdown, myself and Liz went out and bought a poker set in Argos. I taught her how to play poker and we’ve played a couple of times since then. She was alright but I won. Then again, I’ve been on a roll.

About eight of us had two poker nights in Japan and I came away with the money both times. On the first night I actually got knocked out straight away but was brought back in and ended up winning. Some of the lads – I won’t mention their names now – were absolutely disgusted. I won it the second time as well.

It’s a good way of having a bit of craic with a bit of money on the line. I only play Texas Hold’em. Wouldn’t have a clue about any other poker game.

It’s funny, when we’re in season, I’m working off a weekly schedule, which enables me to fit in my morning meditation, or some reading while I’m sitting in my Normatec recovery pumps (to help the legs recover post-training).

But that structure and week-to-week focus on performance has gone, and I haven’t been doing either. Being at home, with more time, you’d have thought it would be easier to read books, but that hasn’t happened.
    Rory Best’s book arrived in the post yesterday. I’m looking forward to reading that. I’m a big fan of sports autobiographies. If you’ve written a book about yourself you’ve had a career that’s worth writing about and I usually get a load of little nuggets from them, be it Andre Agassi to Mike Tyson to rugby books.

They might confirm what you’re doing is worth pursuing and even drive you on. Say, in this instance, Besty might have done something which he learned over his career that can give you reassurance in doing something similar, or you might pick up a different idea on how to do something.

In mid-season I’d often read high performance-related sports books, which are not easy reads. Sports biographies are easier reads, with stories to tell.

That’s why I loved Agassi’s book – Open. His honesty was so revealing. It goes against rational thinking that someone who was the best in the world at their sport could have hated it so much but stayed with it for so long. I can’t really relate to that, luckily enough.

But he’s not the only sportsperson who’s ever said that and so it’s an honest reflection of his true thoughts. He put himself through some pain and yet it’s hilarious at times too.

When he was younger he was famous for his hair, and then for a long time he wore a wig and he cared more about that staying on during matches, and not revealing that he was actually bald, than the result. Crazy stuff, like his relationship with his father, an Iranian boxer who fought in the Olympics.

Then there was the lifestyle that he led – with one foot in the celebrity world and one in the tennis world – and his run-in with drugs. There was so much that kept you engaged. It’s a big book, a big read, but you don’t want it to end.

I’m a big UFC and boxing fan, and much of what gets them to the top is their mindset, especially as they’re coming up against fighters who weigh the same. Someone like Michael Bisping wasn’t the most talented UFC fighter in the world but he had the mindset of someone who never gave up and ended up winning a UFC title in strange circumstances. But his grit was incredible.

I also read Tyson Fury’s book recently which is very good. Rise and fall, or fall and rise, stories are probably better, and more relevant for mere mortals like the rest of us, than someone like Roger Federer, who was just top of the pile for 20 years and seems like he’s got it all together.

That’s why I also loved Andy Lee’s book, The Fighter. I’ve actually read that twice! He talks about Castleconnell a lot and the Bog Road, which is just up the road from my house.

Liz and I took Sadie, our bulldog, down by the river about six months ago. We crossed the bridge that’s part of our trail and I looked back to see a fella entering the bridge from the other side.

“Jeez,” I thought. “That looks like Andy Lee. ”

On our second lap he was in the middle of the bridge and as we were walking past he said: “Hey Andrew, how’s it going?”

He’d been in to the Munster changing-room before for a Leinster match. I asked him how retirement was going but for some reason I was too awkward to tell him how much I loved his book.

Then again, if I told him I’d read it twice he probably would have thought I was a freak. But I was properly star struck.

“Oh my God,” I said to Liz. “That’s the man I’ve been reading about for the last few weeks. I know all about his life, and ups and downs, and he’s the one that initiated the conversation. Wow, that’s pretty cool.”

Leave a comment:

• Finnegan79
    replied
    Originally posted by Chrizzzie View Post
    Makes me wonder how many spare TV's he has.
    I know, right ? I can imagine having two and lending one out in a time of crisis, but to be honest, I wouldn't have even thought of calling someone up and asking to borrow a tv. I'd have just stuck to the laptop or desktop. Netflix and Quarantine.

Leave a comment:

• Chrizzzie
    replied
    Originally posted by Finnegan79 View Post
    I like how Jean Kleyn is the guy who can get whatever you need. For some odd reason, that seems about right.
    Makes me wonder how many spare TV's he has.

Leave a comment:

• Arthur Guinness
    replied
    I like how Jean Kleyn is the guy who can get whatever you need. For some odd reason, that seems about right.
    A bit like “The Ferret” kind of character in those POW movies,”The Great Escape” for instance.

Leave a comment:

• acskerries
    replied
    yes, that struck me too. A relative newcomer quickly making himself at home!

Leave a comment:

• Finnegan79
    replied

Leave a comment:

• acskerries
    replied
    When I read that article the other day I must say I felt very proud of Andrew Conway. He's a great young guy who certainly could serve as a role model for anyone. And I love how he plays of course. Well done !

Leave a comment:

• Waterfordlad
    replied
    Article by Andy Conway in Irish Times: Talking about training during Covid etc

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rug...eged-1.4213271

Like all my teammates that day, my last game was Ireland’s 24-12 defeat by England on February 23rd, five weeks ago.

Speaking to the media in Twickenham after the game, I said: “It is not the end of the season. It is not a final. We’re not going on our summer holidays. We have got the opportunity to put in a better performance in a couple of weeks. That is the beauty of the game.”

Well, that was the world we lived in. Seasons didn’t end in February. But the Italian game was postponed the following Friday and when we came into camp at the IRFU’s HPC in Sports Campus Ireland on the Monday before the France game, there were rumours that it would be postponed too.

But we had to assume that we were playing a Test match. Faz [Andy Farrell] made it clear that was the case, and we had a really good session. After it myself and Earlsy were doing extras when we saw a dozen or so management in a circle on the pitch. That didn’t look good.

We went into the changing room and Faz said it was 99 per cent off. Within ten minutes that was confirmed. We kicked a football around for a while, did a weights session, went out for a couple of beers and dispersed the next morning.

The following Friday the Pro14 was suspended, but soon you put everything into context, and suspending a rugby season doesn’t begin to be relevant. We take for granted things we have on tap daily, but this pandemic does make us realise how lucky we all are, especially those of us who play sport for a living. It’s unfortunate that it took something like this to make us value it as much as we should.
    We’re privileged. I have gym equipment from Munster. We’ve been told to stay at home when there are other people who are doing the exact opposite for the good of everyone else. As someone said, a nurse and a doctor can save hundreds of lives but if the public stay at home we will save thousands.

I try to drag the morning out a bit. Make the breakfast and sit around the kitchen table for a while. Liz, my fiancée, is a community speech and language therapist, and is upstairs on a call now. It’s not ideal. It’s better to be face to face. Then again, for people working at home with kids it sounds pretty hectic.

I fill my day up with gym sessions. Munster gave me a wattbike, four sets of dumbbells ranging from light to relatively heavy, a bench, a 25 kilo plate, a kettle bell and a few mats.

Munster have sent us individual programmes and I got on to Damien O’Donoghue, our S&C coach, yesterday to fine tune mine. But this is week one, the easy end of it. I reckon by weeks five and six it’ll be tough.

We live in Castleconnel and coming into our house the first door on our left is the main living area. Then we have a double door which goes into the second room with a couch, coffee table, armchair and drinks cabinet. We’ve shifted that to one side and the armchair into the first room, making half a room into a gym of relatively good size which opens up into the back garden for some air.

Most mornings I do 20 minutes of what we call ‘quarry’ sessions, which target areas where you might be consistently tight, be it your calves, hamstrings or whatever.

In Munster this is your first port of call and from it you get a good feel of where the body is before high volume exercises. It can be stretching or rolling out tight muscles – it just opens the body up.
    You feel great afterwards. It may take a little while to master. You might feel ‘I’m not really doing much here’. It took me years to really appreciate its value, but I couldn’t recommend it enough.

Obviously we’ve got some of the best S&C guys in the world, but for people who don’t have dumbbells I’d recommend ordering a foam roller and a hockey-style ball, and spending 15/20 minutes a day just cracking your back out, stretching, rolling on a ball that digs into your hips, your quads and your calves, and improving your general movement. With a walk every day everyone would feel the benefit.

I had probably been going overboard on news, in Ireland and in Italy, flicking over to Trump’s live press conferences, Boris Johnson’s live press conferences. I wasn’t far off addicted.

Five days ago I turned on the TV for the overnight update, and it wasn’t working. Nothing worked. Eventually an engineer said I needed a replacement but the company I was dealing with was in Craigavon and the UK went into lockdown that night. A lockdown with no television was not going to be fun.

I contacted Jean Kleyn, a reliable source for anything and everything, and picked up a TV off him. It’s sitting on the coffee table in the front room as the old TV is mounted on the wall and I’m useless at DIY!

We only have Netflix for the moment, but that’s probably a blessing in disguise. You can’t hide from the news on the phones and the radio, but it’s more of an effort than hitting Sky News on the remote.

If anyone is looking for a good show on Netflix I’d recommend The Tiger King. It’s horrific viewing from an animal welfare viewpoint, but it’s about these insane characters that can only be produced in America, with their private wildlife parks. Cruel stuff. Tough watching. But, while in lockdown, just unbelievable entertainment.

Leave a comment:

• cornerboy
    replied
    Larmour has undoubted talent and potential. So far though I've seen him score a spectacular try in TP on Stephens day, I havent seen him dominate an ariel battle or make try saving tackles in the way Conway has. He has to show the full game before he gets ahead of the pack IMO.

Leave a comment:

• garryowen2323
    replied
    Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post
    Kearney had a great game yesterday so he's obviously picked up his game. If Earls or Kearney or Stockdale are injured then Conway should be straight in.
    100%. Back 3 is one area we're not pleased with exceptional talent. Conway definitely next in line and is a few levels up on the likes of McFadden, Larmour (for now), Byrne, Daly, Wootton, Sweetnam, OHalloran, Gilroy, Trimble in my view. All depends on what Joe wants on the bench at 23. Back 3 or centre. Carbery in 22 gives full back cover too. Then Conway vs Aki/Farrell presuming Henshaw/Ringrose will be first choice when all fit. If that ever happens!

Edit: In hindsight Larmour does have that ability to cover 13 aswell as back 3 which could put him in driving seat for 23 jersey if he can get back into the Leinster squad!

Leave a comment:

• AdolphusGrigson
    replied
    Originally posted by garryowen2323 View Post
    Joe seemed to be a fan when he was fit to be fair. I reckon he'd definitely have the 23 jersey.
    Kearney had a great game yesterday so he's obviously picked up his game. If Earls or Kearney or Stockdale are injured then Conway should be straight in.

Leave a comment:

• garryowen2323
    replied
    Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
    Fine player unfortunately the international coach has his favourites hence why he'll only ever be an alternate for Ireland.

Pity
    Joe seemed to be a fan when he was fit to be fair. I reckon he'd definitely have the 23 jersey.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X