Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Andrew Conway

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #46
    Originally posted by isola ciarrai View Post
    Hate to carp but I would not be delighted with a backline of CM, Keatley (Leinster), Conway (Leinster) Downey (Leinster) Lualala (NZ) Zebo and Jones (Leinster). Great for our prospects but hardly encouraging for the morale of any young Munster aspiring backs (yes, I know - who?). Seems like an IRFU mandated move and wonder if he is being looked at as a 15, especially given Jones history of injuries? Or is he a consolation prize for not being able to get a top NIQ? He looks the business all right. And whatever about Mannix, maybe a season with Dougie will move him onwards and upwards? Cannot believe that Leinster let him go but then that was before Isas surprise announcement and, I think, Carr returning to Galway.
    A few too many imports from Leinster in the backs for my liking. Nothing against the players themselves, just think we're in danger of diluting the representative nature of the team, which is still important to me.

    Keatley, Downey, Murphy, Conway and Jones is about 2 too many IMO.

    Comment


      #47
      The alternative is overseas though, and we don't have the NIQ slots.

      If JJ, Dineen, O'Dea, Earls, Zebo stay in the mix and we see a couple of breakthroughs we'll be fine on the representative front.

      Restrictions on salaries and slots mean we have to use our NIQ slots carefully, and signing good IQ players is good business in that context.

      And was anyone complaining when we won a HEC with Tipoki, Mafi and Howlett in the backline, or when Manning joined them against the AB's?
      "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

      "Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy


      "I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

      Comment


        #48
        Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
        The alternative is overseas though, and we don't have the NIQ slots.

        If JJ, Dineen, O'Dea, Earls, Zebo stay in the mix and we see a couple of breakthroughs we'll be fine on the representative front.

        Restrictions on salaries and slots mean we have to use our NIQ slots carefully, and signing good IQ players is good business in that context.

        And was anyone complaining when we won a HEC with Tipoki, Mafi and Howlett in the backline, or when Manning joined them against the AB's?
        Three non-Munster natives in the back line is fine as far as I'm concerned but with the 5 Leinster lads plus Laulala and Dougie we have potentially a lot more than that now. Very likely that Keatley, Downey, Laulala, Dougie, Jones and Conway will all start some games together next season, particularly when the internationals are away. Of that 6, quite likely 4 will be starting HEC games alongside Zebo and Earls, with another on the bench. That doesn't even factor Johne Murphy into the mix either.

        Happy to see a good young player like Conway coming in, but would like to see the number reducing overall, with probably Dougie and Johne going. Perhaps they are. Anybody know their contract status?

        Comment


          #49
          Haven't see a huge amount of Conway, is he better than Kieran Lewis was at a similar stage in his career?
          When things go wrong, blame McGahan

          Comment


            #50
            Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
            A few too many imports from Leinster in the backs for my liking. Nothing against the players themselves, just think we're in danger of diluting the representative nature of the team, which is still important to me.

            Keatley, Downey, Murphy, Conway and Jones is about 2 too many IMO.
            When did these guys last play for Leinster?
            Downey at connacht in 04
            Murphy with leicester since 06
            Keatley 08 at connacht

            They are well out of the Leinster mind-set I suspect and didn't learn their adult rugby there. We simply have not produced centres in the way we seem capable of producing back rows and even back 3 players. Mind you it baffles me how Barnes has not cut it given where he was 18 months ago.

            Comment


              #51
              Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
              Three non-Munster natives in the back line is fine as far as I'm concerned but with the 5 Leinster lads plus Laulala and Dougie we have potentially a lot more than that now. Very likely that Keatley, Downey, Laulala, Dougie, Jones and Conway will all start some games together next season, particularly when the internationals are away. Of that 6, quite likely 4 will be starting HEC games alongside Zebo and Earls, with another on the bench. That doesn't even factor Johne Murphy into the mix either.

              Happy to see a good young player like Conway coming in, but would like to see the number reducing overall, with probably Dougie and Johne going. Perhaps they are. Anybody know their contract status?
              I don't see how the number reduces, to be honest, and I don't see that it's all that unusual for us over the last few years either. We haven't produced a HEC 12 in the professional era, and Earls was the only test three quarter we produced for years before last year.

              We haven't had a Munster dominated back line since 2006. That's seven years ago now.
              "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

              "Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy


              "I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

              Comment


                #52
                Originally posted by Pony View Post
                Mind you it baffles me how Barnes has not cut it given where he was 18 months ago.
                What the fcuk went on there? Was it linked to the trial?
                Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

                Comment


                  #53
                  Originally posted by Malley View Post
                  Nothing to do with the IRU. Leinster tried to retain Conway while he was also being chased by Connacht and clubs outside Ireland.
                  Our first-choice backline next season could easily be five of seven from Munster - Murray, Zebo, Earls, Hanrahan and O'Dea with Botha the only non-local forward in a first-choice pack.
                  Would love to see it Malley - we saw the virtue of the home-produced player last weekend when our men, and those outsiders who have adopted our spirit, kept going for the 80 sustaining pain but inflicting more, in our true spirit - the Munster hardenss is back. Think Conway is a very major acquisition, almost like an NIQ. Looking forward to 2013-2014 already, hope we get a pre-season match in Limerick.

                  Comment


                    #54
                    Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
                    I don't see how the number reduces, to be honest, and I don't see that it's all that unusual for us over the last few years either. We haven't produced a HEC 12 in the professional era, and Earls was the only test three quarter we produced for years before last year.

                    We haven't had a Munster dominated back line since 2006. That's seven years ago now.
                    Just a concern Pony, Balla, no more than that and can see from the shape of our academy that it will not change soon - but one hopes that JJ, Darren, Bohane, Dinneen, maybe Haugh, Rory Scannell, will get there.

                    Comment


                      #55
                      Originally posted by he man rugger pints View Post
                      Being injured quite a bit didn't do his selection chances much good. He certainly got opportunities when fit though over the past few seasons but it's only in the second half of this season that he's begun to deliver. His positionint has improved a lot too.

                      Shame he's going, wonder if he'd have jumped ship had he known Nacewa was on his way out...
                      Presume he knew, when interviewed about Isa in the week his departure was announced Joe said it was known in the camp for a while.

                      Comment


                        #56
                        Originally posted by Dowlinz View Post
                        He looked very good yesterday even aside from the tries. Criminally underplayed for a couple of years there and it seems with a few games in the late part of this term he's really getting some momentum behind him and showing signs of being a serious player. Much like Hagan actually, leinster fans must be sickened.
                        Both wrong!
                        He was injured for large parts of the time and was always given a chance when available. Didn't always take it as well as lately though.

                        Not sickened either. We could have held him but if he wants to go to a Club that obviously needs him and will play him as a regular- then- well... best of luck Andrew! :_wave__rvmp_by_bad_

                        Not crowing, but there's enough back three talent there to replace him. Watch Adam Byrnes....

                        Now Hagan is an entirely different matter and I am sick on his going! :_pissed__rvmp_by_ba

                        Comment


                          #57
                          When leinster played in hcup this season with numerous injuries....JS did his utmost to avoid playing either Conway or Carr in big matches...i recall him shuffling backline just to keep Nacewa and mcfadden on wings...so he shoved Madigan to FB and played Goodman (12) and Darcy(13).....writing was the wall for them both then.
                          Since confirmation of his move to us.....he has had second wind and seems to be finishing season better.
                          The guy can play in back 3 and i think Felix will be the one most under pressure.
                          "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

                          Comment


                            #58
                            I wonder if Penney being the baby blacks coach in the tournament when Conway topped the try scoring list had anything to do with his decision to move.

                            Best of luck to him anyway.

                            Comment


                              #59
                              Originally posted by McNab View Post
                              I wonder if Penney being the baby blacks coach in the tournament when Conway topped the try scoring list had anything to do with his decision to move.

                              Best of luck to him anyway.
                              Conway's last JWC was 2011. Penney coached the Baby Blacks in 2012.

                              Comment


                                #60
                                Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
                                What the fcuk went on there? Was it linked to the trial?
                                Very doubtful as he was playing (poorly) for the A's.

                                Danny looked good 18 months ago, but his form since has fallen off a cliff and died! His poor form may have something to do with the issues outside of rugby, but its that poor form that has kept him out of the team. He hasnt even played well in AIL games, let alone the A games. Any time I've seen him this year he has looked disinterested.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X