Pro12 on Sky Sports (non-exclusive) from 2014

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pro12 on Sky Sports (non-exclusive) from 2014

As expected it looks like sky might be moving for Rabo coverage.

From the Guardian
    Sky is looking for ways to fill the hole left by the loss of Aviva Premiership matches to BT Vision from next season.

It has already been hoovering up international rights this year, adding Ireland, France and Italy to their autumn international package next year along with England, but that only amounts to a month of action.

Sky is in talks with the Celtic unions about securing the exclusive rights to the RaboDirect Pro 12, which are up for tender for the 2014-15 season onwards. As well as injecting money into the tournament, Sky could also help in its projection, helping cut the lag with the Premiership.

Sorting out the kick-off times would be a start. Friday and Saturday nights and the occasional Sunday have not proved popular in Wales where the average crowd is around 8,000.

Originally posted by dropkick View Post

From the Guardian
    Moving the games off free to air not withstanding this would be a great move for the Pro12 and for rugby in Ireland in general.
    To The Brave and the Faithful, Nothing is Unpublishable.

Comment

Commentary in English would be another.
      Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
      Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

From the Guardian
        Well they have the track record of building tournaments so how bad ? Plus English language commentary would be welcome.

Comment

Just when I was getting on top of my Scots Gaelic.

Given the inability of S4C and BBC Alba commentators to recognise Munster players, at least by having the games with Sky there is a fighting chance the commentary will improve.

Comment

Fock. How much is monthly sky sports subscription?

Fantastic for the league, without doubt. Hopefully it'll mean healthier balances for the clubs financially. But it just means an additional expense at home
            I am the million man.

Comment

BT have bought out the ESPN channels as well. The loss of free to air could be more of an issue if people have to fork out for two subscriptions to watch Rabo and HEC.
              "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

From the Guardian:

Sorting out the kick-off times would be a start. Friday and Saturday nights and the occasional Sunday have not proved popular in Wales where the average crowd is around 8,000.

It would be a good thing for the marketing of the league. They do love the Big Up.

Not so sure I like the implication of the above statement though. Wales are not the only country involved and evening kickoffs work well in Ireland.

The risk is the fixture schudule would be driven by UK TV audiences rather than local spectator patterns. That is fine for 3/4 HEC matches a year but could be a issue if it was every week.

Comment

This might be good news for the league, but its a flippin disaster for me. The only live rugby I'll be left with on the telly is the Six Nations, and whatever Top 14 games Setanta decide to broadcast.

Despite everything, I think I'll just about be able to convince my wife that I can afford to renew my supporters club membership for the coming season (and hopefully the one after that too), but there's absolutely no way I could justify a subscription to Sky Sports -- now, or in future. More time for doing other stuff, I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                    Fock. How much is monthly sky sports subscription?

Fantastic for the league, without doubt. Hopefully it'll mean healthier balances for the clubs financially. But it just means an additional expense at home
                    Look at it as another excuse to go to the pub

Roger Roger. What's our vector, Victor?
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------
                    RIP Anthony Foley - The greatest of great Munster men.
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

So to get all the available rugby coverage on tv you'd need:

1/. BT Vision
                      2/. Sky Sports
                      3/. Setanta Irl/Sports
                      4/. Free to air (RTE/BBC etc.)

Bleedin' Nora!
                      Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                      Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by HurlerOnDeDitch View Post
                        It would be a good thing for the marketing of the league. They do love the Big Up.

Not so sure I like the implication of the above statement though. Wales are not the only country involved and evening kickoffs work well in Ireland.

The risk is the fixture schudule would be driven by UK TV audiences rather than local spectator patterns. That is fine for 3/4 HEC matches a year but could be a issue if it was every week.
                        Can you explain to me how the 8pm KOs in Limerick are good for supporters from the south of the province or 8pm in cork good for supporters in the north of the province? The fixture schedule is already being driven by TV audiences.

The issue with this would be that less games would be on TV as Sky won't televise every Leinster, Munster and Ulster home and most away games like get now between RTE/TG4/BBC NI.

Comment

Friday evening game.
                          Saturday afternoon game + red button game (or over to another non red button channel).
                          Saturday evening game.
                          Sunday afternoon game.
                          Sunday evening game.

Proper weekend coverage and no more of those "no coverage, but we managed highlights" matches that tend to occur when a team travels to play in Scotland or Italy.

Comment

I trust someone will do the decent thing and stream the away Munster matches!

(And that a free-to-air channel gets the rights to show highlights of the other matches.)

Comment

Originally posted by LondonMunster View Post
                              Just when I was getting on top of my Scots Gaelic.

Given the inability of S4C and BBC Alba commentators to recognise Munster players, at least by having the games with Sky there is a fighting chance the commentary will improve.
                              Ahh - but have you considered the impact of wall-to-wall Robbo commentating? A weekly (or, worse still twice-weekly) dose of Robbo would drive a sane man mad.
                              New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Working...
                              X