Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Player by player where does Clermont's advantage lie?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Player by player where does Clermont's advantage lie?

Don't really see a clear advantage when comparing the 2 teams. Clermont have the 2 outstanding backs in Sivivatu and Fofana and the better scrum half. In the secondrow and the backrow Munster arguably have the edge.

Elsewhere looks fairly even

(Admittedly they have a better bench)
    ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
    AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

I would not agree that they have better SH Im afraid. He is a great goal kicker sure . .but as a SH . . .

Nor do I believe we have an edge in the backrow.

Comment

Back three, Byrne, Sivivatu and Nalaga. Deadly with be the ball.

Comment

Tommy Domingo is superb

Their locks have wonderful hands in the loose

Bonaire is a complete package, set piece, defence and carrying.

Against

Paulie is a colossus

Rog is the toughest small man I've ever seen. Mentally and physically.

Munster are built on unity and covering deficiencies on paper.
        I am the million man.

Comment

Oh the variables are head wrecking.
          Coqs on the block time,Munster by 8
          clowns

Comment

I think Munster have a better pack. Its the scrums where Clermont might have an advantage. Clermont have some excellent backs and also a very good pack which makes them a complete team. That then makes it harder for other teams to target any weaknesses. They can also roll out a powerful bench and they can replace injured players with high quality replacements.

So Clermonts squad size and back play is where they have an advantage. Munsters pack is better.

Comment

Originally posted by dropkick View Post
              ...Its the scrums where Clermont might have an advantage...
              I'm already doing rosaries for BJ.

The only potential edge Munster should have is at lineout time and perhaps shade it in the backrow. Wet day so ROG to go up the line all day?
              If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.

Comment

@Loosehead
                Domingo's the better player but I really wouldn't have Killer too far behind him

@Hooker
                Can't really tell, I just don't know enough about Keyser but I'm very confident in Sherry's performances this season

@Tight-head
                I give the edge unfortunately to Zirakashvili. Botha isn't the force he was and he tends to take a while to adapt to ref's; time we won't have unfortunately.

@Second row
                Hines is a class player but not the force he was at Leinster and I just don't think Cudmore is all that. I give the edge to Munster here but it won't be enough

@Blind side
                POM is a Munster stalwart and a fine player at only 23 but Bonnaire is sheer class. POM will be able to handle a player like Bonnaire pretty easily in 2/3 seasons but I think Bonnaire will be a bit too cute

@Open-side
                TOD's put in some fantastic performances for this season and silenced his doubters. Bardy is another cute player though and all our pack will have to be aggressive as hell to neutralise him. Unfortunately giving the edge to the Frenchies here again

@no.8
                Again, I really don't know enough about about Chouly but what I do know is that if he's the starting Clermont 8, we'll need one of Cawlin's best performances ever. He's manshamed higher rated players many times before and we may need his best ever one tomorrow

@Scrum-half
                Mouth-watering clash. Parra to me is almost the complete SH but Murray has proved he's every bit as good. Parra's a better goal kicker but for the SH duties, my heart says Murray but my head says Parra. But again, not much. Pack's will dictate so much here

@Outhalf
                James is capable of some great days but ROG's ability needs no explaining around here. ROG hasn't had the best of season's but has played well since losing his place in the Irish squad. James is capable of some stunningly ****e performances in big games but it's a sign of great confidence to start him after 5 weeks off. I still give the edge to ROG here

@11
                Zebo. Hands down

@12.
                Fofana. Hands down

@13
                No idea what King is like but if our guys can keep up with Laulala's runs then he'll create chances for us

@14
                Luckily Earls is just the man to do this, I think he'll play well outside Casey but he's coming from a lengthy stretch off and again. it's a big ask. Advantage, Sivavatu. His physically I think will be a bit too much for Keet

@15
                Felix has been remarkably average for us all season. No lack of effort but he's being shut down pretty easily. A sniff of the form he had leading up to the 2011 RWC would do wonders but Lee Byrne is a fine player. Gotta give this to Lee Byrne without too much deliberation

Comment

Player by player, Munster have always come off second. Its the collective force that Munster can become is where we can get the edge.
                  Dont need reason, dont need rhyme,
                  Aint nothin I would rather do,
                  Goin down, party time,
                  My friends are gonna be there too

I'm on a Highway to Hell ...

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                    Tommy Domingo is superb

Their locks have wonderful hands in the loose

Bonaire is a complete package, set piece, defence and carrying.

Against

Paulie is a colossus

Rog is the toughest small man I've ever seen. Mentally and physically.

Munster are built on unity and covering deficiencies on paper.
                    Really???

Comment

Originally posted by El Homerino View Post

Really???
                      He takes an awful hammering EH. They aim at him and have done for the last decade. He's had the eyebrows rearranged countless times, ripped the joint of his ears, ripped his scalp. Knocked out, suffocated, you name it.

By physical toughness I meant he takes hits and makes tackles on fellas with stones and stones on him and he keeps getting up for more.

Tough tough small man in today's game
                      I am the million man.

Comment

George Hook this morning:

"Never in their long and glorious history in the Heineken Cup, have Munster faced such insurmountable odds. Consider the selection of the two teams. Only Paul O' Connell and Ronan O'Gara would find a place on the opponent's team sheet. Even a revitalised O'Gara would be a marginal choice over Brock James."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugb...-29225776.html
                        "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                        Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

They have a much better front 3 and backrow and a strong second row which will at least hold its own against an area of major strength for us. Sivivatu is the most dangerous back 3 player on the pitch, I don't really like their centres but its an area of weakness for us as well. And I don't think you'd see any debate outside of a munster forum over the superior between Murray and Parra. On his day Parra has a legitimate claim to being one of the best halfbacks in world rugby, and he generally is on his day against Irish teams.
                          If we win it'll be the collective hunger, we certainly aren't going to beat them on paper by any sane mans review.
                          Last edited by Dowlinz; 27th-April-2013, 11:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Dowlinz View Post
                            They have a much better front 3 and backrow and a strong second row which will at least hold its own against an area of major strength for us. Sivivatu is the most dangerous back 3 player on the pitch, I don't really like their centres but its an area of weakness for us as well. And I don't think you'd see any debate outside of a munster forum over the superior between Murray and Parra. On his day Parra has a legitimate claim to being one of the best halfbacks in world rugby, and he generally is on his day against Irish teams.
                            If we win it'll be the collective hunger, we certainly aren't going to beat them on paper by any sane mans review.
                            Parra's gone on record as saying he doesn't like Irish teams, we're just a bunch of cheaters. No doubting his class though, I still struggle to think he's only 24

You don't like Fofana?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevy-Wevz View Post
                              Parra's gone on record as saying he doesn't like Irish teams, we're just a bunch of cheaters. No doubting his class though, I still struggle to think he's only 24

You don't like Fofana?
                              I forgot about Fofana and I was happier not knowing we're facing him today on top of everyone else.

Comment

Working...
                              X