Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thornley

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Thornley

    Todays IT, is he stirring things up , if it was accidental then what is his (thornly) problem, why even raise the matter.

    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugb...ssed-1.1360093
    psychoanalysis is wasted on the Irish; Sigmund Freud

    #2
    Does he even understand the rules? The first so called try was clearly not grounded as there was an arm was under the ball, it may not be a rule that people like but it is the rule
    My computer thinks I'm gay
    What's the difference anyway
    When all the people do all day
    Is stare into a phone

    Comment


      #3
      Two things:

      1. Why should it be considered Thornley is stirring things? POC could easily be cited, Thornley is paid to report his opinion on these things.
      2. I genuinely do think Kearney scored that try but the camera couldn't back that up so...as a matter of interest wht question did Owens ask?
      \"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness\".
      Dalai Lama

      Comment


        #4
        The Irish Times match report (supposedly) didn't even mention the POC incident on Sunday which I'm sure plenty of impartial Dublin readers weren't very Leinstertained with. Might be some overcompensation pressure?

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by John123 View Post
          Two things:

          1. Why should it be considered Thornley is stirring things? POC could easily be cited, Thornley is paid to report his opinion on these things.
          2. I genuinely do think Kearney scored that try but the camera couldn't back that up so...as a matter of interest wht question did Owens ask?
          "Try, yes or no?" - Leo asked him either immediately or at the next break in play (Leinster penalty I think)
          "They think they know us, but they haven't a clue"

          Comment


            #6
            I think that was the problem. If he had asked is there any reason why I can't award the try it would have been given. And I think I heard him say to Leo that he thought it was a try. So it should have been awarded in my view.

            Comment


              #7
              But if he asked "any reason I cannot award a try?" then the video ref would say, on the strength of the footage we saw in the ground, that there was an arm (Kearney's) under the ball and it was inconclusive if downward pressure was applied. Cue the anti-"downward pressure" boyos arriving en masse.
              The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Viigand View Post
                I think that was the problem. If he had asked is there any reason why I can't award the try it would have been given. And I think I heard him say to Leo that he thought it was a try. So it should have been awarded in my view.
                thinking its a try and actually seeing the grounding of the ball to confirm a try are two different things.

                I actually reckon it was a try in all probability but the TMO couldn't see the grounding of the ball. If Nigel had said "Any reason I can't award the try?" then maybe he could/would have given it but its all fairly irrelevant now.
                \"God gave me the talent but the forwards gave me the ball\" - Jannie De Beer

                \"I hesitate to use words like spiritual or religious, but to see what rugby means to Munster people is very moving\" Shaun Payne

                I look back on 2008 at the Millennium Stadium as the highlight of my career because, although being capped by New Zealand and playing for the All Blacks was fantastic, this was special. - Doug Howlett

                Comment


                  #9
                  That's all water over the bridge and it's irrelevant anyway.
                  The point is they didn't deserve any try.
                  It was a flukey counterattack - should've been a try at the other end.

                  So justice was done.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by John123 View Post
                    Two things:

                    1. Why should it be considered Thornley is stirring things? POC could easily be cited, Thornley is paid to report his opinion on these things.
                    2. I genuinely do think Kearney scored that try but the camera couldn't back that up so...as a matter of interest wht question did Owens ask?
                    1. 100% agree

                    2. The camera definitely showed the ball off the ground at one point. I don't think we saw a camera from the other side which would have given the proof needed.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I Dont listen to him anymore. If he calls the French top 14 the 'Top Quatorzzze' or calls Keith Wood Fester (as if they are best of friends) one more time i will have to shoot myself.
                      My hair is more important than timekeeping!

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Point View Post
                        1. 100% agree

                        2. The camera definitely showed the ball off the ground at one point. I don't think we saw a camera from the other side which would have given the proof needed.
                        That's exactly what I said at the time, couldn't understand why they didn't show that angle but I presume the TMO saw it...
                        \"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness\".
                        Dalai Lama

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by treatycity1 View Post
                          Todays IT, is he stirring things up , if it was accidental then what is his (thornly) problem, why even raise the matter.

                          http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugb...ssed-1.1360093
                          Maybe, just maybe, because it was CLEARLY a citing offence and everyone outside of these forums can see that.

                          I mean if Gerry Thornley, defender of all things Munster and Declan Kidney, has mentioned it, then surely it must be pretty hard to ignore.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            You're getting just a little bit boring AYNL, it has to be said.
                            "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

                            Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

                            Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post
                              You're getting just a little bit boring AYNL, it has to be said.
                              Fine I'll drop the issue. I am just shocked that no one around here thinks its citable and yet on every other forum where the video has been posted people are saying it deserves a ban for recklessness.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X