Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Signing players from other provinces: Who cares?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signing players from other provinces: Who cares?

So with rumors of Luke fitzgerald ( and I stress that these are still just rumors) coming to Munster, there has been alot of talk about the old provincial rivalries. Do we want a back line filled with leinster players? Can we identify with a team thats filled with players from other provinces?

Do you really care?

Just for a minute, imagine you supported Toulon.

The munster team, as of now, still remains very much an Irish team. I studied in Waterford ( munster) and look at how bloody close that is to Wicklow, Wexford,etc.( leinster) Ireland is a very small country. Munster is a very big club in Europe. And we still are, not as much as before certainly, but we re in a quarter final anyway. I would sooner support a munster team filled with players from other provinces than a tream filled with former super star players from other countries, now coming to the end of their careers.

And what have Toulon achieved with all this? Nothing.

Any way, Im sure plenty of people will disagree but thats what debate is all about!
    Thoughts?

Originally posted by etcpostmaster View Post
    So with rumors of Luke fitzgerald ( and I stress that these are still just rumors) coming to Munster, there has been alot of talk about the old provincial rivalries. Do we want a back line filled with leinster players? Can we identify with a team thats filled with players from other provinces?

Do you really care?

Just for a minute, imagine you supported Toulon.

The munster team, as of now, still remains very much an Irish team. I studied in Waterford ( munster) and look at how bloody close that is to Wicklow, Wexford,etc.( leinster) Ireland is a very small country. Munster is a very big club in Europe. And we still are, not as much as before certainly, but we re in a quarter final anyway. I would sooner support a munster team filled with players from other provinces than a tream filled with former super star players from other countries, now coming to the end of their careers.

And what have Toulon achieved with all this? Nothing.

Any way, Im sure plenty of people will disagree but thats what debate is all about!
    Thoughts?
    Yup and we can round off the whole circus with an annual game of origin, say in Roscrea.
    Gwan Joe!!

Comment

There will be major ongoing problems if we recruit totally from outside. Players seeing no development from within will be demotivated. BUT it's not as simple as a Leinster back line. We don't know how long Keatley will hold off Hanrahan or what will happen at centre, we still have Earls, Zebo, LOD, Scanlon and Hurley in there as well. If there is a positive effect, such as from Dougie coming in, then it's all for the good. You'd have to believe that the influence on guys like Hurley, LOD and Zebo from Howlett has been important.
      \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

Comment

Has any club won their league or H/cup with just home produced players? I'd seriously doubt it.

I'd love more Munster players on the match day squads and similarly I prefer Irish players playing in the provinces than NIQ but out of necessity a combination of all three are generally required for success.

Comment

Have to say I don't care for constant dragging up of birth certs around, be it from another province or another country. And I certainly don't care whose father lived where. Not just the Leinster back line thing but I don't like the regular celebration everytime BJ or WDP are benched or the mumblings of Dougie's selection over LOD. It's definitely an issue around here for a lot of people but a Munster player is a Munster player, if they have the dedication and commitment they should be respected for it as anyone else.

It'd be a problem if it got to the stage where good academy players were being denied opportunities but given some of the "quality" home grown players who are getting a huge number of starts recently I don't think anyone can claim that. Gametime isn't the only thing needed for strong development, playing alongisde good players with a winning mentality is also important.

Comment

Spot on Dowlinz
            "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Its as simple as this. Movement of players within the country is going to become more common place after the restriction the IRFU have placed on the number of overseas players allowed in each squad. So get used to it. Its the only option or else you will see more and more Michael Bents and personally id rather the former!
              \"If you can dream it, you can do it\".
              \"To the cowardly and unfaithful, nothing is possible\"

Comment

Movement of players around the provinces is vital. Would Jerry Flannery have burned so brightly in a Munster jersey if he hadn't had a load of game time with Connacht?

There is probably an opportunity here to discuss EU employment law, freedom of movement etc, but frankly Paulie's return has put all of that well out of my mind.

Comment

Munster is the Province that will the real benefit of player movement between Provinces. So of course you's are all going to be for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ulster_til_I_die View Post
                    Munster is the Province that will the real benefit of player movement between Provinces. So of course you's are all going to be for it.
                    Why does it even concern Ulster, when you have Rory to pay for a whole host of Southern Hemisphere players?

Comment

We haven't found any that interest us up north just yet but we will keep our options open
                      My computer thinks I'm gay
                      What's the difference anyway
                      When all the people do all day
                      Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by Bitter As A Lemon View Post
                        Why does it even concern Ulster, when you have Rory to pay for a whole host of Southern Hemisphere players?
                        Maybe you should give JP a call then?

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
                          We haven't found any that interest us up north just yet but we will keep our options open
                          Ye's were well interested in Tommy Bowe from what I recall.

No seriously, getting Leinsters leftovers and cherry picking from Connacht, Munster are in the perfect position. Not wum'g here just saying what I see.

Discuss

Comment

Ye's were well interested in Tommy Bowe from what I recall.

No seriously, getting Leinsters leftovers and cherry picking from Connacht, Munster are in the perfect position. Not wum'g here just saying what I see.

Discuss
                            Indeed Munster were interested in Tommy Bowe- the then Ospreys player.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumptruck View Post
                              Indeed Munster were interested in Tommy Bowe- the then Ospreys player.
                              And above all, proud Ulsterman.

Comment

Working...
                              X