Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Munster Rugby Commercial Board appointed.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Munster Rugby Commercial Board appointed.

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/11647.php

Interesting, and I would say, good, idea.

Pat Coveney's an interesting one. Very good rugby player; Oxford Blue when he was there as a Rhodes Scholar after UCC.
    Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

David Cronin - A very big noise in UL circles. Hmm.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomond78 View Post

Pat Coveney's an interesting one. Very good rugby player; Oxford Blue when he was there as a Rhodes Scholar after UCC.
      Into horses as well ?

Comment

Non-executive. So nothing will change.

Comment

Originally posted by Point View Post
          Into horses as well ?
          No idea. Simon was an arable farmer. Rory was a very good schools player, too; on the same schools team as Axel, IIRC, the ones that played Lomu at 8.
          Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

Originally posted by Viigand View Post
            Non-executive. So nothing will change.
            It's a step, and I for one, welcome it.

Comment

Not entirely convinced of the purpose of this committee, it will advise, but the Branch is under no obligation to heed or act upon the advice. Whilst I don't doubt the good intentions of both the Branch and the committee members, with no executive powers, what exactly can these individuals deliver?

Either they should at least define a commercial strategy that the Branch implements and be answerable for the success or otherwise of said strategy or they should all look to their other obligations.

I wish them all the best, but what we can hope they achieve, I don't know.

Comment

Maybe they can help with the new sponsor search... no news on that yet...
                www.WestTerraceView.wordpress.com

Comment

What is the exact function of this new board?
                  Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                  Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Does Non-Executive imply they are not on the payroll and are giving this guidance, advice and support out of goodwill?
                    Otherwise, where's the cash coming from to pay 10 advisors???

Comment

Originally posted by MunsterLux View Post
                      Does Non-Executive imply they are not on the payroll and are giving this guidance, advice and support out of goodwill?
                      Otherwise, where's the cash coming from to pay 10 advisors???
                      Non-executive doesn't mean salaried or not salaried - varies from organisation to organisation.
                      "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by LondonMunster View Post
                        Not entirely convinced of the purpose of this committee, it will advise, but the Branch is under no obligation to heed or act upon the advice. Whilst I don't doubt the good intentions of both the Branch and the committee members, with no executive powers, what exactly can these individuals deliver?

Either they should at least define a commercial strategy that the Branch implements and be answerable for the success or otherwise of said strategy or they should all look to their other obligations.

I wish them all the best, but what we can hope they achieve, I don't know.
                        They can't define strategy, as ownership of that is invested in the board by the IRFU.

My assumption would be that they are there to challenge, advise, support, scrutinise - To act as a sounding board and a source of experience and expertise.

They're a resource for the exec rather than a non exec board proper.
                        "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

That's an interesting board. I doubt that they'll stay there for very long if they feel they aren't being heeded, or their advice isn't being used. A lot of these guys are current senior business executives, and not the grey-haired retirees that you often get on similar structures. Presumably they're there also to act as a counter-weight to the blazers who would be unable/unwilling to make hard-headed commercial decisions in the long-term interests of Munster rugby.

It's got to be a good development.
                          "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                          Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

I think it's a good move, will help to focus people. Probably would have had a single centre for training years ago had something like this been in place.

Comment

As the Commerical Board they would provide experience, direction and contacts to help Munster Rugby. Some big hitters there who would be regarded as top class networkers. For example, the CEO of most major companies will take a call from any of these fellows whereas they might not take one from Garret Fitzgerald.

Comment

Working...
                              X