Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confirmed. Conway signs for Munster

A good or a bad thing?

Andrew Conway, a standout performer for the Irish Under-20s when scoring five tries in both the 2010 and 2011 Junior World Cups, is on the verge of making one of the more intriguing moves of the professional era by leaving his native Leinster at the end of the season to join Munster.
    The Dublin-born 21-year-old looked set for a rapid rise through the ranks with Leinster after a celebrated under-age career with Blackrock, Leinster and the Ireland schools and under-20 sides, but in his fourth season with Leinster has evidently become a little frustrated at playing just 30 times for the province in that timespan (scoring five tries).
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...329251882.html

Would prefer the likes of O'Dea and O'Mahoney in the academy than Conway.

Nothing about him or his ability, I just prefer us to concentrate on our own younger players. It's not like he's another Dougie with buckets of experience.

Comment

This could be an excellent signing, a guy with massive potential who knows that he is going to have to prove himself a little bit more than some other people

Comment

Conway was the best winger in an U20 team that included Zebo and Gilroy. Don't know what happened to him but if Penney and co could help him reach his potential it would be a great signing. He can also play fullback but I'm not sure at what level.

Comment

Great signing,he's just hasn't had a good run of games bcos of injury and competition in Leinster for back 3!all time top try scorer in jwc history!!!sensible on his behalf as Fitzgerald,nacewa,McFadden ,2 kearneys are all ahead of him !!!carr was too!

Comment

Dougie won't be around much longer and Johne Murphy is no great shakes. The addition of Conway to Zebo, O'Dea, O'Mahoney would complete a good set of young wingers to work with in the long term.

Penney is building a very high-potential young squad.

Comment

Excellent signing if true but saddens me that we can't bring our won lads through.

Comment

Conway closes in on move from Leinster to Munster

There is no point having a player of his quality sat on the bench or worse still not even in the squad. With Zebo a certainty for the Irish side and (unfortunately) very likely to be on Gatlland's physiotherapy benefit scheme down under and Dougie possibly on his way, Conway will have a clear run for the first few months of next season to get some proper gametime with the first string.

Comment

Originally posted by Armin Tamzarian View Post
                  Excellent signing if true but saddens me that we can't bring our won lads through.
                  We have brought through Zebo well enough and LOD has done alright until his injury issues this season. Conway has probably compared the profiles of the Munster and Leinster back lines and made the punt that the future looks brighter in a red jersey.

Comment

Is this happening or is it contract wrangling?
                    "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Armin Tamzarian View Post

this is the way forward for irish rugby in my view. Maximising our resources. Could be a great move for both parties. Now if only someone like Nagle would look at doing something the other way.

Its a no lose situation for Munster. Conway was always a great strike runner at underage. His difficulty has been he's not as rounded a player as he should be IMO. And size wise he's struggled a bit.

Conway has Fitzgerald, D Kearney, R Kearney and Nacewa ahead of him. Fitzgerald must be going to be offered a new contract. He was going nowhere at Leinster
                      I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
                        Is this happening or is it contract wrangling?
                        Keatley, Downey, Murphy, Felix Jones, Andrew Conway

just how many Leinster backline players do you guys want?!

Comment

Originally posted by Areyounotleinstertained? View Post

We'll take them all...
                          On the internet, you can be anything you want. It always amazes me why so many people choose to be stupid.

Comment

Isn't Carr leaving as well (he's going West again AFAIK). D. Kearney has had injury problems as has Fitzgerald. Are Leinster leaving themselves short here? He certainly has good potential and was supposed to have been the fastest player on the under-20 team that included Gilroy and Zebo and is said to be the fastest player in the current Leinster team that includes Carr & co.

Comment

Originally posted by Areyounotleinstertained? View Post

I'm curious as to the purpose of that question. Am I supposed to feel somehow slighted by the inference that we don't produce enough backs? Or that we're reliant on Leinster to do so?

Or are you genuinely seeking some form of estimate?
                              "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Working...
                              X