• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throw money at Conor O'Shea!
    I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Red October View Post
      The man has a fine playing history. But has what, six years, post playing commercial experience. Doing what? Leading a business? Or as a middle-management beancounter? Being a qualified accountant is worthy of precisely zero respect IMO, save what you can accord for it proving him to be reasonably intelligent, reasonably numerate and able to hack prolonged periods of study.

Connacht bring in a man proven in sports management.

We are looking to bring in a man proven in what precisely?

We have faffed around for long enough with coaching staff who were learning on the job when we'd have been better to have coaches who had the bulk of the learning behind them and were in the full-on application of learning mode. Are we going to be guilty of the same again?

Or do we merely want a guy who can read a balance sheet, and is protected by his legacy as an ex-player and all-round nice guy, as he wields his scalpel?

Not to mention that most Munster of all requirements: the Cork Con forcefield...

For the record: unless someone can outline the man's commercial achievements to me, then I would regard his being in contention as underwhelming and not a good sign; let alone his appointment to the role.

I'm, frankly, shocked and more than a little worried.
      Who says he'll be on his tod…

Comment

Originally posted by overthehillprop View Post
        What Munster need is someone with a proven track record and the ability to manage a budget properly and look to manage the large debt that has been left by the previous administration.

I don't know enough about Kelly and what he has done since he stopped playing to say if he is the man for this or not.
        Referring to Thomond Park as a liability rather than an asset is a strange way to look at Munster. Very few clubs would have their stadium paid off in under 5 years.

David Humphreys had even less commercial experience than Kelly (and there were certainly serious quesions being asked about Ulster CEO's credentials for the job) when selected.

What has Sears done for Connacht that is so outstanding? Whinged and moaned about McCarthy being robbed by Leinster! He couldn't put a deal together to keep him in Connacht. I don't think Munster ever really had a problem keeping any of the players they wanted to keep and Fitzgerarld should get some of the credit for that.

Comment

What Munster need is someone with a proven track record and the ability to manage a budget properly and look to manage the large debt that has been left by the previous administration.

I don't know enough about Kelly and what he has done since he stopped playing to say if he is the man for this or not.
          What Munster need is a proven LEADER, not just a Manager. By all means they will need a strong financial manager on the team, but this ship needs someone who can plot a course and not just steer with the prevailing currents.

Comment

the munster setup operates like an old boys network,so it would'nt surprise me

Comment

Originally posted by jeepers View Post
              Referring to Thomond Park as a liability rather than an asset is a strange way to look at Munster. Very few clubs would have their stadium paid off in under 5 years.

David Humphreys had even less commercial experience than Kelly (and there were certainly serious quesions being asked about Ulster CEO's credentials for the job) when selected.

What has Sears done for Connacht that is so outstanding? Whinged and moaned about McCarthy being robbed by Leinster! He couldn't put a deal together to keep him in Connacht. I don't think Munster ever really had a problem keeping any of the players they wanted to keep and Fitzgerarld should get some of the credit for that.
              Fair point re Turnstiles up North. I guess my main point of concern is that in the absence of a proven pedigree as a leader someone needs to point out genuine reasons for his consideration (let alone possible appointment) other than being able to stand upright and be a Cork Con head.

Because in the absence of such reason, people are left to assume the ONLY criteria is being sentient and from Cork Con.

Comment

I don't know enough about Kelly and what he has done since he stopped playing to say if he is the for this or not.
                He joined KPMG after he retired, to train as an accountant. A mate of mine was working there at the time and he showed me the magazine they circulate with biogs of all the new trainees (usually 200+). There, amidst a sea of biogs for 21 year olds showing achievements such as silver medals in scor na n-og, minor trials with Mayo and Head Girl in Loretto, was "John Kelly - Heineken Cup winner with Munster, numerous Irish caps and various media engagements".

Stood out a little.

Comment

Wow. Without even a shred of evidence that Garrett Fitzgerald is finishing or John Kelly is taking up a position that he does not even know is available- this place goes baloobas.

Blood pressure levels must be sky high where a few of you are.

Comment

Originally posted by jeepers View Post

I never referred to Thomond Park as a liability. I referred to the large debt that the current administration have consistantly failed to service over a number of years. Apart from the 10 year ticket money there has been very little money paid off that loan. I also referred to being able to manage a budget properly which given the operating loss of circa 1 million euro last year is a pressing matter.

I would suggest you have a look at the track record of Sears before dismissing him so easily. Also Humphreys is not CEO, that is Shane Logan who has an excellent commerical background to assist Humphreys on the business side of things.

http://www.connachtrugby.ie/20120501...ppoint-new-ceo

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugb...er/8382867.stm
                    Last edited by overthehillprop; 23rd-January-2013, 10:24.
                    \"God gave me the talent but the forwards gave me the ball\" - Jannie De Beer

\"I hesitate to use words like spiritual or religious, but to see what rugby means to Munster people is very moving\" Shaun Payne

I look back on 2008 at the Millennium Stadium as the highlight of my career because, although being capped by New Zealand and playing for the All Blacks was fantastic, this was special. - Doug Howlett

Comment

Originally posted by Red October View Post
                      What Munster need is a proven LEADER, not just a Manager. By all means they will need a strong financial manager on the team, but this ship needs someone who can plot a course and not just steer with the prevailing currents.

This Guy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	simpsons-the-leader.png
Views:	1
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	2475935

Comment

I presume Eddie o sullivan has been overlooked for an interview already

Comment

Garret Fitz is finishing up, that is apparently the case. Heard it last weekend from two different sources who have dealt directly with him.
                          Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post
                            I presume Eddie o sullivan has been overlooked for an interview already
                            First name on every head hunter blacklist.

Comment

This is a stitch up, pure and simple. Why was Kelly, who is just an ex-player with an accountancy degree (10 a penny, I'd say), chosen to oversee the hire of Penney last year?

The Club Braces have already made their decision, which is to not rock the boat, and appoint an apparatchik to do their bidding.

This would be all well and good if Munster were still flying high and winning HECs, but we're running a trading loss of 1million, year on year, and have a long term debt of 10 million that we can't even service the interest on. Having lost our main sponsor in the height of a recession, what we now need is an objective CEO, who has experience of running large organizations, not a relatively recent retiree, who has little more than an accountacy degree, and has never run an organization even a fraction of the size of Munster.

If Kelly's appointed and RoG/Howlett have their contracts renewed, Munster end up looking like a head-in-the-sand, amateur organization.

Comment

John Kelly in line to follow Fitzgerald as Munster chief

If he only started his qualification after his playing career there is no way he has sufficient experience to be CEO of Munster Rugby.

Comment

Working...
                                X