• Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Kelly in line to follow Fitzgerald as Munster chief

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/r...ef-220455.html

Kelly in line to follow Fitzgerald as Munster chief

By Barry Coughlan
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013
    John Kelly is one of the candidates in the frame to succeed Garrett Fitzgerald as Munster Rugby’s chief executive.
    Well-placed sources have suggested Fitzgerald will retire at the end of the season and that former playing hero Kelly is a contender to take over the provincial hot seat.

Fitzgerald has been to the forefront of Munster rugby for almost two decades and has overseen a massive development of the province from amateur to professional status.

He also coached Munster to a sensational victory over the then reigning world champions Australia in 1992.

Fitzgerald is currently abroad but is expected to make an announcement on his personal plans within the next few weeks.

Kelly, a qualified accountant, made his Munster debut against Cardiff Blues in 1997. He was part of the Munster teams that lost Heineken Cup finals in 2000 and 2002 but was on the side which defeated Biarritz in 2006. Kelly also won 14 Ireland caps

No chance of Mick Galwey getting the job?

Comment

Jesus, I'd love to see the agent in negotiations with Rags.
      Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

Re: John Kelly in line to follow Fitzgerald as Munster chief

Originally posted by MrsMcGahan View Post
        Wouldn't suit him, it involves working, not the kind of thing that a "professional hanger on" does.
        "If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards - checkmate!" Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Speaking of the great man, what is he up to now?
          On the internet, you can be anything you want. It always amazes me why so many people choose to be stupid.

Comment

Well pg laced source....

Comment

Originally posted by Woggas View Post
              Speaking of the great man, what is he up to now?
              Between jobs.

Comment

Between jobs.
                Mayhe he'll go back to his "coaching" role at Shannon....
                On the internet, you can be anything you want. It always amazes me why so many people choose to be stupid.

Comment

Wasn't Rags out in the states for a while?
                  I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Point View Post
                    Well pg laced source....

Not this time.

Comment

Con Mafia strikes again.

Roger Roger. What's our vector, Victor?
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------
                      RIP Anthony Foley - The greatest of great Munster men.
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Average View Post
                        Con Mafia strikes again.
                        He was coaching College, recently. We've as much of a mafia. We're just much more discretely polite.
                        Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

The man has a fine playing history. But has what, six years, post playing commercial experience. Doing what? Leading a business? Or as a middle-management beancounter? Being a qualified accountant is worthy of precisely zero respect IMO, save what you can accord for it proving him to be reasonably intelligent, reasonably numerate and able to hack prolonged periods of study.

Connacht bring in a man proven in sports management.

We are looking to bring in a man proven in what precisely?

We have faffed around for long enough with coaching staff who were learning on the job when we'd have been better to have coaches who had the bulk of the learning behind them and were in the full-on application of learning mode. Are we going to be guilty of the same again?

Or do we merely want a guy who can read a balance sheet, and is protected by his legacy as an ex-player and all-round nice guy, as he wields his scalpel?

Not to mention that most Munster of all requirements: the Cork Con forcefield...

For the record: unless someone can outline the man's commercial achievements to me, then I would regard his being in contention as underwhelming and not a good sign; let alone his appointment to the role.

I'm, frankly, shocked and more than a little worried.
                          Last edited by Red October; 23rd-January-2013, 10:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Red October View Post
                            The man has a fine playing history. But has what, six years, post playing commercial experience. Doing what? Leading a business? Or as a middle-management beancounter? Being a qualified accountant is worthy of precisely zero respect IMO, save what you can accord for it proving him to be reasonably intelligent, reasonably numerate and able to hack prolonged periods of study.

Connacht bring in a man proven in sports management.

We are looking to bring in a man proven in what precisely?

We have faffed around for long enough with coaching staff who were learning on the job when we'd have been better to have coaches who had the bulk of the learning behind them and were in the full-on application of learning mode. Are we going to be guilty of the same again?

Or do we merely want a guy who can read a balance sheet, and is protected by his leagacy as an ex-player and all-round nice guy, as he wields his scalpel?

Not to mention that most Munster of all requirements: the Cork Con forcefield...

For the record: unless someone can outline the man's commercial achievements to me, then I would regard his being in contention as underwhelming and not a good sign; let alone his appointment to the role.

I'm, frankly, shocked and more than a little worried.

What Munster need is someone with a proven track record and the ability to manage a budget properly and look to manage the large debt that has been left by the previous administration.

I don't know enough about Kelly and what he has done since he stopped playing to say if he is the man for this or not.
                            Last edited by overthehillprop; 23rd-January-2013, 11:01.
                            \"God gave me the talent but the forwards gave me the ball\" - Jannie De Beer

\"I hesitate to use words like spiritual or religious, but to see what rugby means to Munster people is very moving\" Shaun Payne

I look back on 2008 at the Millennium Stadium as the highlight of my career because, although being capped by New Zealand and playing for the All Blacks was fantastic, this was special. - Doug Howlett

Comment

Originally posted by Dumptruck View Post
                              Not this time.

There's more than one ???

Comment

Working...
                              X