What happened after 23 minutes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happened after 23 minutes?

After about 23 minutes into Sunday's game it looked like there was a change in tactics and certainly a distinct change in tempo which led to Munster driving up the field with a vengeance instead of running up dead ends.

Until that point they were absolutely sheeeet - far worse than in the opening half against Cardiff.

They had the look of a team who just decided to play how they thought was best rather than sticking to a funny game plan that obviously wasn't working -again.

...or perhaps the boy Foley smuggled on a message to tell them to get their fecking Munster arsees in gear?
    ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
    AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post
    After about 23 minutes into Sunday's game it looked like there was a change in tactics and certainly a distinct change in tempo which led to Munster driving up the field with a vengeance instead of running up dead ends.

Until that point they were absolutely sheeeet - far worse than in the opening half against Cardiff.

They had the look of a team who just decided to play how they thought was best rather than sticking to a funny game plan that obviously wasn't working -again.

...or perhaps the boy Foley smuggled on a message to tell them to get their fecking Munster arsees in gear?
    Why is there always a conspiracy theory? Maybe the players finally are starting to come to terms with the game Penney wants them to play helped by the fact keatley is the better equipped outhalf to play that game.
    There Rice krispie cakes not buns

Comment

No Thanks
      I don\'t really understand the criticism of their so called ugly rugby.I love open running rugby but I also admire the collective mastery of this Munster team.They really are a reference in the game,to beat them you really have to play a perfect match

Comment

...... We played another 57 minutes and won the game and qualified for HEC quarters
        Last edited by Angus Axe; 22nd-January-2013, 22:21.
        Dont need reason, dont need rhyme,
        Aint nothin I would rather do,
        Goin down, party time,
        My friends are gonna be there too

I'm on a Highway to Hell ...

Comment

According to Jim Corr it was more to do with a depleted RM making the fight of their lives not to be thrashed. But by 25 minutes the cracks started to open.
          The Illuminati think we were edgy and anxious and didn't settle until Murray scored his try.

Comment

It's called patience

Comment

Originally posted by shanners View Post
              It's called patience
              Yup, sadly lacking prior to now.
              If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.

Comment

In fairness, I thought there was a noisy uneasiness just before that from the crowd, after they went up another blind alley.

Comment

Originally posted by Angus Axe View Post
                  ...... We played another 57 minutes and won the game and qualified for HEC quarters
                  the last 25 of which failed to see any score at all.
                  our first score comes 25 minutes in.
                  Our last score comes with 25 to go.
                  All our scores in the middle half hour.

What springs to mind is the score fest the ABs put
                  on us in one of the tests in the 2nd quarter.. building a
                  lead we then had to chase. So maybe it's a ...

Good? thing???
                  Last edited by mtcmolloy; 23rd-January-2013, 12:40.

Comment

Re: What happened after 23 minutes?

Or the blind side being sent off giving Keatley much ore time on the ball. Just a thought.
                    When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

Originally posted by Point View Post
                      In fairness, I thought there was a noisy uneasiness just before that from the crowd, after they went up another blind alley.

no, that was you actin the maggot.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumptruck View Post
                        no, that was you actin the maggot.
                        Yeah right, it was probably you squeezing one out !

Comment

James Coughlan dealt with this in the interviews that appeared in the papers yesterday. The gist of it was that once RM went down to 14 men the Munster players lost the head a bit and felt they had to throw everything at them. Once they calmed down a bit got into a rhythm and and went through a few phases they started to find gaps.

Lenehan in De Paper today makes the point that, given that the team was unable to put away a 3rd string Ulster, lost to a lacklustre Cardiff and could hardly make a dent on a woeful Embra, the Racing red card put the young Munster players under more pressure to deliver in front of a massive home crowd that was fairly uneasy for 20 minutes or so.
                          Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

From the Indo
                            "Is this a landmark result? I think so. We've spoken about the need for players to take ownership of this and I think we did that today," Coughlan said."Now is our time to step up and start dictating things. I think we did that today."
                            Coughlan lauded Munster's composure for the majority of the game, especially after the frenetic start to the contest.
                            "When they had their player sent off I think we lost the run of ourselves a little. We just went about trying to throw the kitchen sink at them and it backfired on us.

"We gave away three penalties and free-kicks at scrum time and were a little disjointed. But once we settled down and got a grip of things we were fine.
                            "Scoring the third try before half-time also helped hugely because we were able to be a little more relaxed in the second half, secure in the knowledge that one more would do us.
                            "That brought a little calmness and allowed us to play some rugby and go through our plays with confidence."

Comment

DONAL LENIHAN: The only way is up now for Munster By Donal Lenihan
                              Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Don’t for a minute underestimate the value of Munster’s Heineken Cup win over Racing Metro on Sunday.

Yes, all the advantages were in the home court from the outset and increased with the dismissal of Antoine Batut early in the game.
                              But if anything that decision piled further pressure on the hosts to deliver.

Bear in mind that this was a Munster side with just two players from the team which won the Heineken Cup final in 2008 and whose collective experience in European competition was minuscule compared to what has gone before.

Consider also that when the pressure was on to deliver in key games in the campaign — away to Racing Metro and Edinburgh — the younger generation found it difficult to cope with the weight of expectation.

Think for a moment of the consequences had they failed to capitalise on the opportunities presented to them on Sunday and Leinster advanced to the quarter-final at their expense. The Munster supporters, by and large, are a patient bunch but failure to secure that bonus point win would have left this young squad with a heavy burden to carry.

.... While I have every confidence that Munster will only thrive and prosper in the role of underdog when they travel to The Stoop in April — and I give them every chance of rattling the Harlequins’ cage with a win a distinct possibility — a draw that pits them against likely semi-finalist Clermont Auvergne in France looks challenging in the extreme. Just ask Leinster.

That however is for another day.

In those two away games against Racing and Edinburgh, Munster imploded, with questionable decision making, silly individual errors and poor discipline letting them down at crucial moments. Failing to register a four try winning bonus against an under strength Ulster side over Christmas in the Rabo coupled with that devastating loss at home to Cardiff Blues undermined confidence even further going into the final two group games in the Heineken Cup. But the manner with which the players took on the responsibility to deliver augurs well for the future.

Over the last few weeks I have been approached by a number of well meaning Munster supporters asking questions of Rob Penney. All I can say is that they were well meaning but ill-informed. The experience that Penney brings to the table from his days in Canterbury when dealing with talented but inexperienced young players coming through the system has been a key element in Munster’s development this season. The positivity he exudes is exactly what is required with this group and despite the enormously frustrating level of unforced errors that have proliferated Munster’s performances this season, he has always emphasised the positives with the players.

That was not always the case in recent seasons when young players were berated for their shortcomings.

.... That April quarter-final offers an appetising target on the horizon and Harlequins had better be prepared for what’s coming down the line.
                              It is a disadvantage to Munster’s aspirations that Conor O’Shea is directing operations in London as he will appreciate better that any English based coach what awaits his impressive squad.

By the time that game comes around, I expect Munster to be in even better shape than they are. Last Wednesday I highlighted the fact that Munster need a bigger ball carrying presence in their back row mix, and well and all as the combination of Peter O’Mahony, James Coughlan and Tommy O’Donnell did against Racing, the addition of CJ Stander to that mix is one of the reasons why I would give Munster a big chance of upsetting the odds in London.

more

Comment

Working...
                              X