X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tomh903
    replied
    Loved every minute of my first heineken match at thomond and even better we knocked out our greatest rivals plus seeing he "new" Munster really taking place some amazing players coming through.

Leave a comment:

• rathbaner
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Dog View Post
    I don't think that it was a red card offence. Reminded me of Varley's incident V the Ospreys, which I also though was undeserving of a red.
    Barnes was only a few feet away and reacted instantly. He saw something for sure, his hand went to the pocket as he blew. Whatever we think he was right on top of it. That's not luck, that's applying the rules.

Leave a comment:

• Buceph
    replied
    Originally posted by Downsouthdukin View Post
    i think most incidences involving violence aimed at the head are indeed deemed correctly red card offences. Mr Batut was the brainfart offender not barnesy and I know you know that
    Even moreso when a guy is at the bottom of a ruck and can't defend himself. I can tell some people here were never in a ruck in their life by their attitude.

Leave a comment:

• Old Dog
    replied
    i think most incidences involving violence aimed at the head are indeed deemed correctly red card offences. Mr Batut was the brainfart offender not barnesy and I know you know that
    I don't think that it was a red card offence. Reminded me of Varley's incident V the Ospreys, which I also though was undeserving of a red.

Leave a comment:

• Downsouthdukin
    replied
    If every incidence of law-breaking was punished by a red card then most games of rugby would finish as 5 a sides.

Simple fact is that Munster had two massive strokes of luck yesterday, firstly ROG's suspension and secondly Wayne Barnes's brainfart.

Leave a comment:

• Old Dog
    replied
    breaking the rules and getting punished have nothing to do with luck. Shall we change the law to tolerate dropped knees to the head until they fracture?
    If every incidence of law-breaking was punished by a red card then most games of rugby would finish as 5 a sides.

Simple fact is that Munster had two massive strokes of luck yesterday, firstly ROG's suspension and secondly Wayne Barnes's brainfart.

Leave a comment:

• Downsouthdukin
    replied
    That incredible Red Card after 6 minutes yesterday didn't strike you as the act of a deranged rugby God? For me, it served as a painful reminder of Langer Larkin's first Law of HEC rugby.

breaking the rules and getting punished have nothing to do with luck. Shall we change the law to tolerate dropped knees to the head until they fracture?

Leave a comment:

• Downsouthdukin
    replied
    Originally posted by Mcork View Post
    Dowlinz not happy because Keatley played well perhaps? The 2 games he started we won with bp's. Coincidence? Maybe but our backs ran with far more menace yesterday especially Downey.

We haven't played particularly well in the pool and a bit lucky to qualify. Didn't see Leinster game but it sounds like they should have given us a tougher target in terms of tries to reach.

Anyway, yesterday was a young team. Guys like kilcoyn, sherry, PO'M, TO'D, Murray, Keatley, Earls, Zebo, JJ are young and talented. That's a fair few and there are others like O'dea, Nagle, DO'C 2etc. I still have my reservations about the gameplan and Penney's reliance on some of the older brigade when form hasn't warranted it.

We've nothing to lose v Quins. They're on form 20+points better than us now but things can change over a couple of months. A good 6n's for us, a poor one for England. O'connell back. Unlikely to win but hopefully the gap will have closed by then.
    hmmmm

Leave a comment:

• Old Dog
    replied
    Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
    That was no try, unlike John O'Neill's effort in Lille. Luck? If we ever had any we wouldn't know what to do with it.
    That incredible Red Card after 6 minutes yesterday didn't strike you as the act of a deranged rugby God? For me, it served as a painful reminder of Langer Larkin's first Law of HEC rugby.

Leave a comment:

• Mcork
    replied
    Dowlinz not happy because Keatley played well perhaps? The 2 games he started we won with bp's. Coincidence? Maybe but our backs ran with far more menace yesterday especially Downey.

We haven't played particularly well in the pool and a bit lucky to qualify. Didn't see Leinster game but it sounds like they should have given us a tougher target in terms of tries to reach.

Anyway, yesterday was a young team. Guys like kilcoyn, sherry, PO'M, TO'D, Murray, Keatley, Earls, Zebo, JJ are young and talented. That's a fair few and there are others like O'dea, Nagle, DO'C 2etc. I still have my reservations about the gameplan and Penney's reliance on some of the older brigade when form hasn't warranted it.

We've nothing to lose v Quins. They're on form 20+points better than us now but things can change over a couple of months. A good 6n's for us, a poor one for England. O'connell back. Unlikely to win but hopefully the gap will have closed by then.

Leave a comment:

• rathbaner
    replied
    Originally posted by isola ciarrai View Post
    the Bobo 'try' in 06.
    That was no try, unlike John O'Neill's effort in Lille. Luck? If we ever had any we wouldn't know what to do with it.

Leave a comment:

• isola ciarrai
    replied
    Finally, we all need to remember that the interprovincial needle here between Munster and Leinster, Ulster etc etc, is the main reason why our sport was salvaged in the professionl era which Ireland most decidedly did not want to happen. Our 'ancient' interpro rivalries created a pre-existing basis for 4 professional 'clubs' on this island and have saved us from becoming like Wales where the club game seems terminal. Recall clearly Munster believing that they had something special coming down the line when they first beat Ulster away in, I think, 97/98; and Leinster realising that they were on the right road when winning in Cork on yet another miserable and wet MP night with a young Sexton. These rivalries, ONCE they do not become too poisonous, are the lifeblood of Irish rugby and should be cherished. They have kept the sport alive here when logically we should have collapsed like the Jocks in 1990s when the sport suddenly went pro overnight almost.

Leave a comment:

• isola ciarrai
    replied
    Originally posted by Woggas View Post
    Some people seem to take more enjoyment out of Leinster not getting through than Munster getting through.
    I just don't get all this gloating, more suited to wendyball than rugby in my opinion.
    Not really Woggas (love the avatar BTW) but as the ancient Greeks taught us, before nemesis comes hubris. We should know down here, as a sector of our fanbase was hard to live with for our neighbours in the glory days, and I for one have learned some humility and gratitude for the good days like last Sunday when they come. Just remember that our last 2 big days at TP were fiascos against Quins and Ulster. And we have listened to a fair bit of leinster superiority these recent years. Our margin over Leinster this year was tiny, and every team that wins the HEC gets lucky breaks - the last minute penalty to us in the Sarries semi in 08; the Brock James horror show with the boot against Leinster in RDS in 11 and the near thing by Fofana in 12. We could both be standing here with a single HEC each. And don't get me going on the Bobo 'try' in 06.

Leave a comment:

• eoinlyons
    replied
    Ah lads bit of perspective. Winning the domestic league, especially the final win down in Thomond a couple of years ago, is a great achievement, only topped by winning the HC.

That said, impressive stuff from Munster getting out of a tough group, as 2nd placer with no Italian team (although Edinburgh made a decent impression of one). I think you probably would have done it against that racing team even without the sending off. They fronted up and defended manfully but played as individuals especially in attack. The fact that Leinster were pushed out is irrelevant, they didn't qualify because if their performances against Clermont, especially at home, and failing to pick up bonis points in the early games, when ravaged with injury.

Some real gems coming though in Munster, some obvious like Zebo and TOD and DK. Investment in Conor Murray is starting to pay off, starting to be a real game breaker and nuisance to opposition, kicking and passing good, just a little bit more consistency needed. I think POM is a future Irish Captain, in 3/4 years. DR is playing himself to Australia, and I'm sure he'll get test recognition down there. Earls is interesting. His passing just isn't international standard, does a bit of ball watching in defence, but every other part of his game is world class, and he can electrify a game with his broken field running.

The Amlin, especially in Dublin, would be a decent consolation but there is serious quality in that competition, at least we've a home run if we can get past wasps.

Here's to a great weekend of Irish rugby in London in April.

Leave a comment:

• Downsouthdukin
    replied
    I can't fathom how a supporter could even compare scaping through to the quarters at Leinsters expense compares to actually beating them in a final for a trophy.
    Last edited by Downsouthdukin; 21-January-2013, 18:49.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X