Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally, we all need to remember that the interprovincial needle here between Munster and Leinster, Ulster etc etc, is the main reason why our sport was salvaged in the professionl era which Ireland most decidedly did not want to happen. Our 'ancient' interpro rivalries created a pre-existing basis for 4 professional 'clubs' on this island and have saved us from becoming like Wales where the club game seems terminal. Recall clearly Munster believing that they had something special coming down the line when they first beat Ulster away in, I think, 97/98; and Leinster realising that they were on the right road when winning in Cork on yet another miserable and wet MP night with a young Sexton. These rivalries, ONCE they do not become too poisonous, are the lifeblood of Irish rugby and should be cherished. They have kept the sport alive here when logically we should have collapsed like the Jocks in 1990s when the sport suddenly went pro overnight almost.

Comment

Originally posted by isola ciarrai View Post
      the Bobo 'try' in 06.
      That was no try, unlike John O'Neill's effort in Lille. Luck? If we ever had any we wouldn't know what to do with it.
      Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

Dowlinz not happy because Keatley played well perhaps? The 2 games he started we won with bp's. Coincidence? Maybe but our backs ran with far more menace yesterday especially Downey.

We haven't played particularly well in the pool and a bit lucky to qualify. Didn't see Leinster game but it sounds like they should have given us a tougher target in terms of tries to reach.

Anyway, yesterday was a young team. Guys like kilcoyn, sherry, PO'M, TO'D, Murray, Keatley, Earls, Zebo, JJ are young and talented. That's a fair few and there are others like O'dea, Nagle, DO'C 2etc. I still have my reservations about the gameplan and Penney's reliance on some of the older brigade when form hasn't warranted it.

We've nothing to lose v Quins. They're on form 20+points better than us now but things can change over a couple of months. A good 6n's for us, a poor one for England. O'connell back. Unlikely to win but hopefully the gap will have closed by then.
        Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again (like picking Gordon D'Arcy) and expecting different results.
        Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
          That was no try, unlike John O'Neill's effort in Lille. Luck? If we ever had any we wouldn't know what to do with it.
          That incredible Red Card after 6 minutes yesterday didn't strike you as the act of a deranged rugby God? For me, it served as a painful reminder of Langer Larkin's first Law of HEC rugby.
          New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcork View Post
            Dowlinz not happy because Keatley played well perhaps? The 2 games he started we won with bp's. Coincidence? Maybe but our backs ran with far more menace yesterday especially Downey.

We haven't played particularly well in the pool and a bit lucky to qualify. Didn't see Leinster game but it sounds like they should have given us a tougher target in terms of tries to reach.

Anyway, yesterday was a young team. Guys like kilcoyn, sherry, PO'M, TO'D, Murray, Keatley, Earls, Zebo, JJ are young and talented. That's a fair few and there are others like O'dea, Nagle, DO'C 2etc. I still have my reservations about the gameplan and Penney's reliance on some of the older brigade when form hasn't warranted it.

We've nothing to lose v Quins. They're on form 20+points better than us now but things can change over a couple of months. A good 6n's for us, a poor one for England. O'connell back. Unlikely to win but hopefully the gap will have closed by then.
            hmmmm
            I don\'t really understand the criticism of their so called ugly rugby.I love open running rugby but I also admire the collective mastery of this Munster team.They really are a reference in the game,to beat them you really have to play a perfect match

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dog View Post
              That incredible Red Card after 6 minutes yesterday didn't strike you as the act of a deranged rugby God? For me, it served as a painful reminder of Langer Larkin's first Law of HEC rugby.

breaking the rules and getting punished have nothing to do with luck. Shall we change the law to tolerate dropped knees to the head until they fracture?
              I don\'t really understand the criticism of their so called ugly rugby.I love open running rugby but I also admire the collective mastery of this Munster team.They really are a reference in the game,to beat them you really have to play a perfect match

Comment

Originally posted by Downsouthdukin View Post
                breaking the rules and getting punished have nothing to do with luck. Shall we change the law to tolerate dropped knees to the head until they fracture?
                If every incidence of law-breaking was punished by a red card then most games of rugby would finish as 5 a sides.

Simple fact is that Munster had two massive strokes of luck yesterday, firstly ROG's suspension and secondly Wayne Barnes's brainfart.
                New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

If every incidence of law-breaking was punished by a red card then most games of rugby would finish as 5 a sides.

Simple fact is that Munster had two massive strokes of luck yesterday, firstly ROG's suspension and secondly Wayne Barnes's brainfart.

i think most incidences involving violence aimed at the head are indeed deemed correctly red card offences. Mr Batut was the brainfart offender not barnesy and I know you know that

Comment

i think most incidences involving violence aimed at the head are indeed deemed correctly red card offences. Mr Batut was the brainfart offender not barnesy and I know you know that
                    I don't think that it was a red card offence. Reminded me of Varley's incident V the Ospreys, which I also though was undeserving of a red.

Comment

Even moreso when a guy is at the bottom of a ruck and can't defend himself. I can tell some people here were never in a ruck in their life by their attitude.
                      I know something that will blow your minds. I can't tell you and I can't tell you why I can't tell you. You'll know soon and then I'll be confirmed right.

Comment

I don't think that it was a red card offence. Reminded me of Varley's incident V the Ospreys, which I also though was undeserving of a red.
                        Barnes was only a few feet away and reacted instantly. He saw something for sure, his hand went to the pocket as he blew. Whatever we think he was right on top of it. That's not luck, that's applying the rules.
                        Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

Loved every minute of my first heineken match at thomond and even better we knocked out our greatest rivals plus seeing he "new" Munster really taking place some amazing players coming through.

Comment

Originally posted by 99_oK? View Post
                            Why the glumness?

I presume you didn't manage to get there. If you did, you must have been the only sad person there; everyone I met was happy. Don't know Jack from Adam, but I could post the same as his first para about the E. terrace.
                            I'm not glum, just not getting carried away. I'm satisfied and pleased that our European season goes on, maybe a bit relieved.
                            As far as I'm concerned we've had 6 games so far this season against serious opposition (Ulster, Leinster and Ospreys early in the rabo, Saracens home and away and Racing away) of which we've only won one of them. There's no reason to celebrate our season so far, I'm quite disappointed by it in fact. There is reason to celebrate that we're still in the heineken and still have an opportunity to show we're a capable.
                            We've played worse this season than we did 2 seasons ago under McGahan and the place was erupting around then. Why be furious then and joyous now when the only real difference this time was having the fortune of a soft group, red cards etc.

Comment

Originally posted by SecondRowGal View Post
                              Can I ask you a genuine question Dowlinz? Are you ever happy with a result? I'm all for tempered opinions but Janey mac, throw a bucket of icy water on our joy at winning and our enthusiasm for the future why don't ya?

Wouldn't like to be with you at a winning HEC final. You'd probably be telling us to hold our horses, we hadn't won two in a row, or someone knocked on or next year will be awful, etc., etc. Seems that way to me anyway. Live in the moment!! This one's a good 'un and we haven't had one of them for a while
                              I'll eagerly await your acknowledgment of no "the sky is falling" reactions from my quarter when the next mfans certified "catastrophe" occurs.

Comment

Progress Dowlinz, thats all most of us wanted in the first season. A five try victory without some of our biggest names surely represents that at least, we could all work hard to be miserable but even if we tried I doubt we'd match you at that game
                                My computer thinks I'm gay
                                What's the difference anyway
                                When all the people do all day
                                Is stare into a phone

Comment

Working...
                                X