This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dowlinz View Post
    No we're not "back in the big time", we've everything to prove yet this season and there's little reason to celebrate our good fortune so far.
    Why the glumness?

I presume you didn't manage to get there. If you did, you must have been the only sad person there; everyone I met was happy. Don't know Jack from Adam, but I could post the same as his first para about the E. terrace.

Comment

No we're not "back in the big time", we've everything to prove yet this season and there's little reason to celebrate our good fortune so far. I don't consider us such a small time team that we should be dancing in the streets for getting a handy pool, playing a 14 man side and even then only getting the lowest qualification position. I don't believe we'd have qualified from any other pool in the last 10 years of heinekens playing like we did this year, that's why I'm so guarded about this.
      We didn't have the same team on the pitch yesterday that we would have had over the last 10 years. The only player on the pitch yesterday that would have been a stall worth for Munster over the last 10 years was DOC. It's all relevant. Considering the experience level of a large chunk of our squad and the new coaching set-up and gameplan then I am very happy with a quarter final.

Would I have been happy with one with a team full of the likes of Hayes, Fla, Quinny, Wally etc etc etc...? No

Am I with this young team? Yes

We have everything to gain and nothing to loose for the rest of this campaign.

Comment

That was BETTER than winning the ML !

No we're not "back in the big time", we've everything to prove yet this season and there's little reason to celebrate our good fortune so far. I don't consider us such a small time team that we should be dancing in the streets for getting a handy pool, playing a 14 man side and even then only getting the lowest qualification position. I don't believe we'd have qualified from any other pool in the last 10 years of heinekens playing like we did this year, that's why I'm so guarded about this.
        Can I ask you a genuine question Dowlinz? Are you ever happy with a result? I'm all for tempered opinions but Janey mac, throw a bucket of icy water on our joy at winning and our enthusiasm for the future why don't ya?

Wouldn't like to be with you at a winning HEC final. You'd probably be telling us to hold our horses, we hadn't won two in a row, or someone knocked on or next year will be awful, etc., etc. Seems that way to me anyway. Live in the moment!! This one's a good 'un and we haven't had one of them for a while
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by SecondRowGal View Post
          Can I ask you a genuine question Dowlinz? Are you ever happy with a result? I'm all for tempered opinions but Janey mac, throw a bucket of icy water on our joy at winning and our enthusiasm for the future why don't ya?

Wouldn't like to be with you at a winning HEC final. You'd probably be telling us to hold our horses, we hadn't won two in a row, or someone knocked on or next year will be awful, etc., etc. Seems that way to me anyway. Live in the moment!! This one's a good 'un and we haven't had one of them for a while
          He'd have been delighted with that result if Rog had been playing, but Keatley starting a match means that he has already made his mind up about the performance before we even step onto the pitch.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Half empty.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	2475924

Don't forget SRG...Every silver lining has a cloud attached to it! Why be disappointed later when you can be miserable right now !?

Comment

Originally posted by 99_oK? View Post
              Why the glumness?
              Because the result was achieved with five letters.

NOROG
              Last edited by joeriddick; 21st-January-2013, 14:45.
              To The Brave and the Faithful, Nothing is Unpublishable.

Comment

Originally posted by BOK View Post
                We didn't have the same team on the pitch yesterday that we would have had over the last 10 years. The only player on the pitch yesterday that would have been a stall worth for Munster over the last 10 years was DOC. It's all relevant. Considering the experience level of a large chunk of our squad and the new coaching set-up and gameplan then I am very happy with a quarter final.

Would I have been happy with one with a team full of the likes of Hayes, Fla, Quinny, Wally etc etc etc...? No

Am I with this young team? Yes

We have everything to gain and nothing to loose for the rest of this campaign.
                I'm also very happy . This young team are progressing and improving at a rate of knots. The likes of Killer, Sherry, O'Mahony, O'Donnell, Murray, Keatley, Earls & Zebo were really excellent yesterday. Read that list again, how many of those would have been on a Munster HEC squad even 2 years ago. Yet Killer, O'Donnell & Zebo in particular played like top class seasoned pros.

A huge pat on the back for Penney too. Some people were dissing his game plan, when clearly it was the execution that was failing not the plan itself. The way Munster played yesterday is the right way for them, hard scrums, mauls, pick& gos from the pack to ever faster loosie strike runners on the fringes feeding backs on to go forward ball out wider. Even against top class defences if you keep reproducing 'hot ball' in the wider channels the Earls, Zebos & wide players will get gaps and one on ones.

After qualifying, what I am most happy with is the prospect and likelyhood that this team will improve further by April. They have players and a game plan that will look better on harder pitches with a warmer ball where more passes tend to stick. Their young players have more games and training to bring them on further and not leastly they have the prospect of Rog, CJ and a certain POC coming back into the frame. That is all very exciting.

p.s. Dowlinz be a killjoy if you wish, but please channel your negative energy to doing something positive e.g. criticise the croke park deal, the disparity in private /public sector wages, allowances & pensions amd how Labour have one last chance to avoid the electorate nuking them for selling out again!!

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Ignoring his refusal to pass out wide after about twenty minutes I thought Earls was very productive yesterday. When we get pace on the ball our back line does have some menace. We'll need it because Quins are very happy playing an open running game. This is a very tough fixture.

Having been unable to fly out of Heathrow yesterday for the match, I hope my flight to Treviso is more successful.

Comment

Gives you pñenty of time to work on the blog.....

now where is it..!
                    He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Well done guys.

Although that said, Leinster still nearly pipped you despite suffering an injury crisis and being in an infinitely harder group.

5 tries against a 14-man Racing B side. If Racing were 15 men for the game then I doubt Munster would have gotten the BP.

Unfortunately luck was not on the side of Leinstertainment this year. Enjoy it.

Comment

You have a stupid online name.... much more stupid than mine... and i was not sure that was possible...
                        He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Yes. The only team is Munster. We are going to go all the way this year

Comment

I can't fathom how a supporter could even compare scaping through to the quarters at Leinsters expense compares to actually beating them in a final for a trophy.
                            Last edited by Downsouthdukin; 21st-January-2013, 18:49.
                            I don\'t really understand the criticism of their so called ugly rugby.I love open running rugby but I also admire the collective mastery of this Munster team.They really are a reference in the game,to beat them you really have to play a perfect match

Comment

Ah lads bit of perspective. Winning the domestic league, especially the final win down in Thomond a couple of years ago, is a great achievement, only topped by winning the HC.

That said, impressive stuff from Munster getting out of a tough group, as 2nd placer with no Italian team (although Edinburgh made a decent impression of one). I think you probably would have done it against that racing team even without the sending off. They fronted up and defended manfully but played as individuals especially in attack. The fact that Leinster were pushed out is irrelevant, they didn't qualify because if their performances against Clermont, especially at home, and failing to pick up bonis points in the early games, when ravaged with injury.

Some real gems coming though in Munster, some obvious like Zebo and TOD and DK. Investment in Conor Murray is starting to pay off, starting to be a real game breaker and nuisance to opposition, kicking and passing good, just a little bit more consistency needed. I think POM is a future Irish Captain, in 3/4 years. DR is playing himself to Australia, and I'm sure he'll get test recognition down there. Earls is interesting. His passing just isn't international standard, does a bit of ball watching in defence, but every other part of his game is world class, and he can electrify a game with his broken field running.

The Amlin, especially in Dublin, would be a decent consolation but there is serious quality in that competition, at least we've a home run if we can get past wasps.

Here's to a great weekend of Irish rugby in London in April.

Comment

Originally posted by Woggas View Post
                                Some people seem to take more enjoyment out of Leinster not getting through than Munster getting through.
                                I just don't get all this gloating, more suited to wendyball than rugby in my opinion.
                                Not really Woggas (love the avatar BTW) but as the ancient Greeks taught us, before nemesis comes hubris. We should know down here, as a sector of our fanbase was hard to live with for our neighbours in the glory days, and I for one have learned some humility and gratitude for the good days like last Sunday when they come. Just remember that our last 2 big days at TP were fiascos against Quins and Ulster. And we have listened to a fair bit of leinster superiority these recent years. Our margin over Leinster this year was tiny, and every team that wins the HEC gets lucky breaks - the last minute penalty to us in the Sarries semi in 08; the Brock James horror show with the boot against Leinster in RDS in 11 and the near thing by Fofana in 12. We could both be standing here with a single HEC each. And don't get me going on the Bobo 'try' in 06.

Comment

Working...
                                X