Potential signings and area we need to strengthen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potential signings and area we need to strengthen

Well since it is the silly season in football with the January transfer window I wanted to see where fellas thought we need to strengthen going forward.To be fair to Penney he has inherited the squad currently in place so this will be his first opportunity to have a look at the market and try and bring in some useful additions and put his stamp on the squad. For NIQ players he will have as good an insight in to the market in the Southern Hemisphere as anyone when it comes to recruiting some players.

I think we have to try and free up some of those NIQ spots, Dougie has given us great service but at this stage I can't see the benefit of him taking up a spot we could utilise a lot better elsewhere with somebody younger. Big salary as well i'd imagine. Boatha has to stay and I'd imagine Du Preez does as well unless we can unearth an Irish Qualified loose head better than the guys currently behind Kilcoyne and Du Preez. Laulala is an interesting one, he has a good skillset, strong defender but lacks the pace of somebody like Earls in the 13 jersey.For me with the type of game we are trying to play, I would give him a shot at 12, we need as many good ball players in the back line as possible and unfortunately James Downey isn't. Let Laulala and Earls have a few games together and see if it works, if it doesn't maybe we should cut our loses with Laulala and let him go and bring somebody more suited to what we need.

For me we should go and try and sign Robbie Fruean, very well known to Penney and can play 12 or 13. Absolute beast of a young fella with serious pace as well. He isn't making the All Blacks so could well be tempted to come to Munster, have a funny feeling something might happen with him. For me Downey just doesn't cut it, very limited player and a poor defender, watch the amount of tackles he misses when he is moving laterally in defence. Like the sound of Earls and Freuan in the midfield together.

If we did have 2 NIQ spots, I'm not sure where we could best use the second spot maybe a 15.

Any thoughts on who we should be looking at or where people would ideally like to see us strengthen.
    I do think we are going in the right direction and given time with the right additions Penney is the man to lead us.

Jesus this is early.....
    Can you post this on the Speculation thread, as you have put no thought into this with regards NIQ spots available, who is under what contract etc etc....

Comment

Robbie Fruean is only 24 and looks like a potential replacement for Conrad Smith. I'd be surprised to see him leave the Crusaders.
      He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

No problem will do! Just thought I'd post it as i'm getting tired of reading all the doom and gloom, a bit of fantasy manager might take the mind off it!! Apologies if its posted in the wrong area!!
        I'm aware that Dougie is out of contract and Du Preez and Lalala will have 1 year left so don't worry I have put some thought in to it. If for example Lalala finds a club in Japan or somewhere which I'm sure he could, we can waive his contract or agree to some sort of pay off. Sports people are always in contracts, doesn't stop them making a move elsewhere!!

Comment

Lalala?

Click image for larger version

Name:	fd1fa987c6ab7543a23f9d8059d9f306.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	2475846

Click image for larger version

Name:	music-note-t10469-2jvmir1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	2475847
          Attached Files
          Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
          Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by Bitter As A Lemon View Post
            Jesus this is early.....
            Can you post this on the Speculation thread, as you have put no thought into this with regards NIQ spots available, who is under what contract etc etc....
            How is it too early? Leinster tied up McCarthy prior to Xmas. I'd be disappointed, but hardly surprised to learn that we're not currently in discussions with a number of NIQs.

The big questions are what sort of funds do we have available, and are we going to renew BJ and Dougie's contracts. We're hamstrung by the fact that Laulala and WDP are here for next season, as both a becoming bit part players, in spite of being on big NIQ contracts. Both should be offloaded to France, if possible in the summer. A massive overhaul is needed now!

Comment

Of course they are in discussions with a number of players. Fruean being one of them. However, he was also approached the season Munster signed Sam Tuitupou and turned down the offer.

Comment

Originally posted by Mardyke Maverick View Post
                A massive overhaul is needed now!
                Been hearing this for the last few seasons.

At the start of the season the main areas of concern were backrow and centre, and they remain as such. We've still barely managed to get stander on the pitch so it remains to be seen how our backrow is shaping up longterm but our centres is and has been a recurring problem. Downey doesn't suit the Penney gameplan in the slightest and needs to be replaced, if Casey doesn't displace Earls then with Barnes around it'd be ideal to try and move him on although I still maintain Earls at 15 is the way forward. We've a self created problem at 9 with the insistence of Williams involvement, it's hampering us in a big way and I'd like something done about that.

BJ must be resigned. I don't agree with the general mfans view of Dougie, I think he has a stronger claim to another year than most here will acknowledge.

Comment

We need a top class backrow. I'd like to see someone like Liam Messam come to Munster
                  Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

ASAP we need a good option at 9, 12 and 15.

Soon we are going to need to replace Dougie, DOC & Botha, of them billy holland might be sound, and Luke o Dea a possability.

Comment

Mamuka Gorgodze. Bring him over for the off season for stud puposes and we'll reap the rewards in 2030.
                      He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

Doubt we'll be signing any big name this season.

However, in an ideal world I'd say goodbye to Dougie (perhaps make him skills coach or something), Casey and Downey and spend all the money on a really good 10 or 12 to put in the midfield mix with JJ, Keatley, Dineen and Barnes. I wouldn't be looking for a talented youngster either. I think we need a JdV type - experienced and composed as well as class. Bit of leadership for the lads around him.

Other than that, get a proven scrum-half and re-sign BJB and I'd be happy.

(Before anybody has a go, I know Downey and Laulala are here for another year, hence the "ideal world" bit.)

Comment

Originally posted by redherring View Post
                          Robbie Fruean is only 24 and looks like a potential replacement for Conrad Smith. I'd be surprised to see him leave the Crusaders.
                          I don't think Fruean is seen as the replacement for Smith, for all his talents he still isn't considered for a AB cap, Tamati Ellison looks more like a short term replacement in my opinion, than maybe some one like Richard Kahui ahead of Freuan, If Robbie isn't selected for ABs next season, i could see him moving continent but the money in France could be more appealing.

I think we'd be wisest to use NIQ slots on a 10 primarily, we have CJ in the project slot, why not consider someone like Gareth Anscombe as a possible 10 option, 21/22 with a huge future ahead of him, fell out of favour with John Kirwan at Auckland now with Chiefs as Cruden's back up. Is better than that, would be worth a scout at least.

Fruean would be a decent option at 13, as would Andre Taylor at 15. I think a 2nd row maybe required in the forwards, with DOC in his twilight years, POC struggling big time and with Nagle and Foley looking extremely average it may be an option

Comment

Originally posted by Bromance View Post
                            I think a 2nd row maybe required in the forwards, with DOC playing as well as he has in years; POC on his way back from successful surgery and a long period of rest; Ryan finally hitting his straps; Nagle, Foley and Hayes still with time on their side; plus DOC2 potentially able to move in to the row it would be a complete waste of our limited resources.
                            Fixed that for you.

Comment

For NIQ signings, we have 2 potential slots coming free - Dougie and BJ.
                              Wian and Laulala have another season after this on their contract and CJ is in the project slot.

Realistically you'd have to think we'll re-sign BJ but I'm not so sure about Dougie - leaving us with only a single potential NIQ slot.

Ideally an NIQ spot wouldn't be used as back-up so that kinda rules out a 9.
                              You're really only looking at one of three positions then; 12, winger and 15. Given Zebo, O'Dea, Earls and others just below who can play wing to a reasonable level, it's surely one of 12/15 we'd be looking at.

At 12 we really only have Downey who has played much at Rabo level while at 15 we have solid if generally unexciting players.
                              Shameless self promotion time ladies and gents!
                              Munster: Early Season
                              Munster: Escape from Pool of Death
                              Munster: HEC Champions 2007/2008
                              Munster: Full Season Highlights.

Comment

Working...
                              X