Quinlan as 2nd row option

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quinlan as 2nd row option

This has been in my head for a while but even more so now after last weekend and think it is worth considering. I know he might not be what we need as a front of line jumper but would any one see any merit in him being thestarting no. 5? If injuries force DK's (ie Wyatt and MOD)handcould JOS or Axel start in the back row in his place?I think it is an often overlooked part of his game and with Easterby afrequently used lineout option forthem it might mean we could still have 4 and possibly 5 (with Wally having been used a couple of times during the 6n)jumpers if needed?
    \"If you can dream it, you can do it\".
    \"To the cowardly and unfaithful, nothing is possible\"

Ryan deserves his shot in the 2nd row after Friday's performance - I was favourable to Quinnie at lock till then.
    Shameless self promotion time ladies and gents!
    Munster: Early Season
    Munster: Escape from Pool of Death
    Munster: HEC Champions 2007/2008
    Munster: Full Season Highlights.

Comment

Dont get me wrong Im a fan of Donncha's he is only from down the road and he really competed with a bad Ulster lineout on every throw last weekend but not sure if this is his weekend. He does have a tendency to give away a lot of penalties but hey, Qunlan wouldnt exactly be a saint in that dept either[img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]
      \"If you can dream it, you can do it\".
      \"To the cowardly and unfaithful, nothing is possible\"

Comment

We really do need an extra backrower on the field imo!! It would be great to see JOS or Quinne in second row, much better option than those other two geriatrics Wyatt and MOD.

Horan Flannery Hayes

DO'CQuinlan/Ryan

Wally Axel/Leamy/JOS

Strings

ROG

Murphy/Carney

Halstead

Larry

Kelly/Horgan/TOL

Cullen
        ANY MANS FINEST HOUR, HIS GREATEST FULFILMENT OF ALL HE HOLDS DEAR, IS THE MOMENT WHEN HE HAS WORKED HIS HEART OUT IN A GOOD CAUSE AND LIES EXHAUSTED ON THE FIELD OF BATTLE – VICTORIOUS.

Comment

Axel shouldn't be near the starting lineup.

Comment

Originally posted by Munster-4-Life

We really do need an extra backrower on the field imo!! It would be great to see JOS or Quinne in second row, much better option than those other two geriatrics Wyatt and MOD. (Tell me Munster for life what age is MOD?)

Horan Flannery Hayes

DO'CQuinlan/Ryan

Wally Axel/Leamy/JOS

Strings

ROG

Murphy/Carney

Halstead

Larry

Kelly/Horgan/TOL

Cullen

Comment

Quinnie for no 5...

Comment

I think quinnie is playing out of his socks this season and moving to a position that negates this will only affect the performance on friday night, i think the team will be as follows,

Horan Flannery Hayes

DO'C MO'D

Wally Leamy Qunnie

Strings

ROG

Murphy

Halstead

Mafi

Dowling

Cullen

Comment

On what basis are people picking MOD? His fitness? His match fitness? His greatform?

He is, to me, a bench player at best on Friday. He has no form (fine player though he is) and playing him ahead of Ryan would be a retrograde step after Ryan's performance on Friday. What kind of message would it send out to our squad players? Work your socks off, lay your body on the line, play brilliantly but you'll be lucky to bench in the HEC even during an injury crisis?

Comment

Originally posted by grd09

I think quinnie is playing out of his socks this season and moving to a position that negates this will only affect the performance on friday night, i think the team will be as follows,

Horan Flannery Hayes

DO'C MO'D

Wally Leamy Qunnie

Strings

ROG

Murphy

Halstead

Mafi

Dowling

Cullen

I would put Murphy in the centre. He is not a great defender but he and Halstead are a better defensive unit in my view.

Either O'Leary or Mafi on the wing.

Comment

Mafi is not a winger.

Comment

Will Kelly or Horgan be fit
                        Dont need reason, dont need rhyme,
                        Aint nothin I would rather do,
                        Goin down, party time,
                        My friends are gonna be there too

I'm on a Highway to Hell ...

Comment

Originally posted by Cathal

On what basis are people picking MOD? His fitness? His match fitness? His greatform?

He is, to me, a bench player at best on Friday. He has no form (fine player though he is) and playing him ahead of Ryan would be a retrograde step after Ryan's performance on Friday. What kind of message would it send out to our squad players? Work your socks off, lay your body on the line, play brilliantly but you'll be lucky to bench in the HEC even during an injury crisis?

Ryan played well on Friday night and deserves to make the squad. I am delighted for him.

I think you are being a bit harsh on O'Driscoll though. The guy was playing international rugby 10 days ago and you are questioning his match fitness?

This game will be won by imposing ourselves on Llanelli up front and strangling the life out of their game.

For that you need cool, calm, collected, aggressiveand mean players. The kind of guys who refuse to be beaten. Experience is vital and Micko has all of that in spades.

If he is fit enough he starts. Ryan will not let us down if called upon either.

Comment

Originally posted by Dermot G
                            Mafi is not a winger.

True, but neither is Murphy or O'Leary. [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I don't agree. TOL played against Cardiff at 14 and was excellent.

Bambi is fine on the wing, but the last I heard he was struggling with injury.

I'd pick Carney. A proven match winner.

Comment

Working...
                              X