• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aberavon v Munster A Port Talbot 12 Jan

munsterrugby.ie

Hanrahan In A Good Place
    7 January 2013, 10:30 am
    By The Editor

Next Saturday Costello's side take on Aberavon in Port Talbot and Hanrahan will play a crucial role in Munster's quest to nail down a place in the play offs.
    Perhaps not surprisingly the Co Kerry native finds it difficult to mask his enthusiasm for the current situation he finds himself in terms of his career and he believes the new contract will give him the space to develop.

"It was always an easy decision for me. It's not like I ever wanted to look anywhere else. I didn't. Munster is a place I've always wanted to play and want to play for the rest of my career if it happens like that.

Right now I'm at a building process and still trying to break through and signing a two year contract allows me the space to keep developing and learning from the best players who are around me.
    "You have Rog and Keats here, two excellent players and I'm learning off them every day and it's coming to the stage where I'm trying to challenge them as well. So it's enjoyable in the sense that it's competitive co-operation. We're training together every day but at the end of the day we're all trying to take each others place. And that's the hugely enjoyable part of it.

"And he also has confidence in the powers that be to maintain the proper structures. No matter who's coaching Munster, as long as I feel they're going in the right direction I'll be happy here no matter what coach there is. That's not taking away from Rob and Simon. They've been great influences on me since they've come here. Cossie as well.

"I love their style of rugby and I love the attitude they bring to rugby. And that was definitely a deciding factor cause it makes them a lot easier to play for. But at the end of the day it's Munster for me and thats who I want to play for.

"It's all going really well here with the RaboDirect and HC and B&I Cup. Plus I'm here with a group of lads who are my friends, those coming through and then the older lads who are at the peak of their careers and we want to try help them out and win things for them and win things for ourselves. So it's really exciting times to be involved. There's a few lads one or two years older than me all coming through together and hopefully we can be the next generation of Munster."

Competition is keen in every position, a situation Hanrahan revels in. You can look at that two ways either as a threat or a challenge. I like to see it as a challenge and that sort of competition spurs you on in training. If you turn up there and think you'll go through the motions, that's not just good enough. Someone else will take your place, that how competitive it is here.

"And I think as well that's it important for the more established players to have us trying to put pressure on them as well.

"The backroom staff, the Medical, the S&C here are excellent. I've got great gains in my fitness and strength in the last six months alone and then the physios keep us in top nick. I think to be honest its one of the top clubs in Europe from behind the scenes stuff that nobody really sees. I know from talking to other players in other clubs that with our off the field stuff we're in a very good place here in Munster."

And in terms of the immediate future, Hanrahan's mid won't stray any further than Saturday and the trip to Wales.

"There's two B&I Cup games coming up that hopefully I'll be involved in starting with the game against Aberavon. If I get my starts there (B&I). And perform well there. Impress the coaches at that level. I can do my part. As we say, control the controllables, play to best of my ability.

"Do what the coaches expect me to do and who knows ?"
    Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Should have a seriously strong side fielded this weekend. With Ryan and Cotter in the front row. Even with the above article could JJ be pulled to travel to edinberg?? Think the line up will be something close to:

1. Cotter
    2. Casey
    3. J Ryan
    4. Foley
    5. Nagle
    6. DOC 2.0
    7. BOM
    8. Butler (Think if TOD starts against Edin, Dougall will make the bench)
    9. Sheridan
    10. JJ (Deasy if not available)
    11. ROM
    12. Dineen
    13. Barnes
    14. Bohane
    15. John Murphy

Comment

Disappointed I am not going to be able to travel up for this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Bromance View Post
        Should have a seriously strong side fielded this weekend. With Ryan and Cotter in the front row.
        Ryan might be needed on the bench or as travelling reserve if Archer's leg doesn't improve before the weekend.

Comment

Stander should get a run out here
          The Source for this post is The Internet

Comment

Originally posted by Bosco View Post
            Stander should get a run out here
            Oh most certainly......totally forgot that, stick him at 8 and leave him cause havoc. Since not registered for HC it'd be wise to get him as much gametime as possible if this gut is going to be our shining white knight

Comment

Originally posted by Bromance View Post
              Should have a seriously strong side fielded this weekend. With Ryan and Cotter in the front row. Even with the above article could JJ be pulled to travel to edinberg?? Think the line up will be something close to:

1. Cotter
              2. Casey
              3. J Ryan
              4. Foley
              5. Nagle
              6. DOC 2.0
              7. BOM
              8. Butler (Think if TOD starts against Edin, Dougall will make the bench)
              9. Sheridan
              10. JJ (Deasy if not available)
              11. ROM
              12. Dineen
              13. Barnes
              14. Bohane
              15. John Murphy

If DOCII is demoted back to the A's after his performances against Sarries I'l be very disappointed, not only would I have him in the squad I'd start him, well ahead of TOD.

I'd also like to see some of the younger hookers get a run out, I've never been a fan of Henry and his performance the last day did nothing to change that. I know Fla was a freakish specimen but Henry looks more like a darts player than a professional rugby player. I apoligise if that crosses the line into personal abuse but as DOC has often said his body is his profession and it's been a long time since I've seen a rugby player with a belly that big and arms/shoulders that small.
              Last edited by déiseman; 7th-January-2013, 22:39. Reason: Bosco already made the comment about CJ

Comment

I can't see Dave getting in ahead of POM at 6, Dougall/TOD at 7 and Cloughlan/TOD/POM at 8. Think the bench would be SHenry, WDP, Archer if fit, Holland, and TOD/Dougall so can't see dave getting in.

Duncan Casey is a serious hooker, would have him ahead of SHenry personally, not sure Scannell is upto it yet, seems average at AIL, Rael is another that looks capable of way more than AIL but seems to be last choice for some reason

Comment

Munster site had Dave O'Callaghan not available for the Cardiff game - didn't say whether he was injured or sick. He wasn't listed among the returning players in the article on the site today.

Comment

At a guess I'd say

1. Cronin
                    2. Casey (Henry in Scotland to cover Sherry)
                    3. Cotter (Ryan in Scotland to cover Archer)
                    4. Foley
                    5. Nagle
                    6. Stander
                    7. BOM (assuming DOCII is injured as indicated above)
                    8. Butler
                    9. Williams (assumes Murray is fine)
                    10. JJ
                    11. O'Dea
                    12. Dineen
                    13. Barnes
                    14. ROM (assuming Johnne is injured)
                    15. Hurley

16. Scannell, 17. Condon, 18. Donnellan, 19. Hayes, 20. Sheridan, 21. Deasy, 22. Mullane (assuming Hircock, Moroney and Bohane are still injured)

Some concerns about the front row, but a very strong side overall. If we don't lose the physical battle (as we did against Rotherham) too badly and if JJ has his wits about him then I'd expect 4 points minimum.
                    Last edited by Colliniho; 8th-January-2013, 11:17.
                    \"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane\"

Comment

From the website:

Munster's final British and Irish Cup pool game against Plymouth Albion on Friday January 18th will now take place at Cork Constitution's grounds in Temple Hill.
                      The game was originally scheduled for the Waterford Regional Sports Centre but has now been moved to Temple Hill due to a delay in ground works taking place at the east Munster venue. The Munster A side travel to Aberavon this Saturday for their penultimate clash in the British and Irish Cup pool stages before welcoming English Championship side Plymouth Albion to Cork a week later
                      Céard a ceapfá, Jerry?

Paul O'Connell can get toothpaste out of an onion. Fact.

Comment

That suits me perfectly ( and I'd say Valencia also) but it's a bit of a pain for anyone based in or near Waterford.
                        I spotted in last saturday night's programme that the venue was TBA rather than the RSC in Waterford.

Why didn't Waterpark get it, I wonder?
                        Last edited by Piquet; 8th-January-2013, 12:45. Reason: Typo

Comment

I'd be there but I work Friday nights. What a pain!
                          Céard a ceapfá, Jerry?

Paul O'Connell can get toothpaste out of an onion. Fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
                            That suits me perfectly ( and I'd say Valencia also) but it's a bit of a pain for anyone based in or near Waterford.
                            I spotted in last saturday night's programme that the venue was TBA rather than the RSC in Waterford.

Why didn't Waterpark get it, I wonder?
                            game is scheduled for Friday night. I'd say its due to facilities and floodlights.
                            \"God gave me the talent but the forwards gave me the ball\" - Jannie De Beer

\"I hesitate to use words like spiritual or religious, but to see what rugby means to Munster people is very moving\" Shaun Payne

I look back on 2008 at the Millennium Stadium as the highlight of my career because, although being capped by New Zealand and playing for the All Blacks was fantastic, this was special. - Doug Howlett

Comment

Floodlights available at Waterpark
                              "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Working...
                              X