Nigel's performance on Saturday Night.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nigel's performance on Saturday Night.

Leaving aside the effect he might or might not have had on the result - minimal in my opinion - Mr Owen's performance was less than perfect on a number of levels:
    • When Conor Murray and the Cardiff Prop clashed heads, he allowed play to continue despite both players lying face down on the pitch, to all appearances, unconscious.
    • On two occasions, he was so close to a ruck that he got in the way of players, Firstly when James Coughlan had to brush him aside as he entered the ruck and secondly when he and Duncan Williams collided in the build up to Cardiff's second try.
    • On 80:20 approx, he pinged a team (Cardiff as it happens, but that's beside the point) for offside. I can't remember any other offside call in the whole match apart from a "crossing" call after a line out in the first half and a Cardiff player being pinged for playing the ball after a knock-on in the second.

As the euphemism goes "he'll be disappointed with that performances when he looks at it again"

May as well as the question here, did Nige not call a Cardiff knock on in the last seconds, only to then allow a Cardiff player ahead of the knocker-on (ahem) to boot the ball into touch and end the game?

There was also a very blatant offside from Munster chasers who were well ahead of the kicker on one late garryowen.

Comment

He was poor. And he was even worse in the Ospreys/Scarlets game over the break. Don't know if it's a fitness thing, or just him being a bit off form.

Comment

He also stopped played for a double knock, thinking Duncan Williams had knocked it on, when he hadn't.
        He was almost in for a try, & awarded the scrum the Munster & then apologised to DW.

Comment

He allowed niggle develop in that Welsh derby game, which, tbf, is unlike him. Frankly, he lost control of it in the last ten minutes altogether. At the time I put it down to him being as bloody bored with referring it as I was with watching it; it being a no-contest.

Mind you - he's been around a fair old while now has Nige. Hope tis just a blip. Decent enough ref.

Comment

Here you go lads, if you are on the twitter, let him know of your worries.
            @Nigelrefowens
            He's not bad at getting back to people with questions for him, and fair play to him for putting himself out there to be contacted.

Comment

Did the mist cloud his judgement?
              Mumha Abu

Comment

Not his finest game, but he had nothing to do with influencing the result. Cardiff were the better team and won deservedly.
                Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by John Cooper Clarke View Post
                  Not his finest game, but he had nothing to do with influencing the result. Cardiff were the better team and won deservedly.
                  Indeed, as stated above. Although if I were being picky I'd describe Cardiff as being the "less bad team"

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
                    Indeed, as stated above. Although if I were being picky I'd describe Cardiff as being the "less bad team"
                    Agreed. Hopefully it was just a temporary low point for us.
                    Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                    Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Given the amount of mistkes each of the players made Nigel's performance was near perfect. Ref's will always get things wrong but as long as they don't get the really big calls wrong and don't have an overbearing influence on the result then they've done their job.

There were many many things wrong on Sat including some of the ref's calls but Munster lost the game by being absolute gash and not because of anything else.
                      \"God gave me the talent but the forwards gave me the ball\" - Jannie De Beer

\"I hesitate to use words like spiritual or religious, but to see what rugby means to Munster people is very moving\" Shaun Payne

I look back on 2008 at the Millennium Stadium as the highlight of my career because, although being capped by New Zealand and playing for the All Blacks was fantastic, this was special. - Doug Howlett

Comment

Originally posted by overthehillprop View Post
                        Given the amount of mistkes each of the players made Nigel's performance was near perfect. Ref's will always get things wrong but as long as they don't get the really big calls wrong and don't have an overbearing influence on the result then they've done their job.

There were many many things wrong on Sat including some of the ref's calls but Munster lost the game by being absolute gash and not because of anything else.
                        Agreed. I suppose my main complaint with him was his failure to stop play after the clash of heads. I have seen other Refs blow loudly, straight away, in such circumstances to get the Medics on immediately.

The Ref's first priority must be the safety of the players.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post

Leaving aside the effect he might or might not have had on the result - minimal in my opinion - Mr Owen's performance was less than perfect on a number of levels:

As the euphemism goes "he'll be disappointed with that performances when he looks at it again"
                          As I've mentioned elsewhere, his repeated refusal to penalise Tamba (Cardiff's replacement THP) for not binding in a succession of attacking Munster scrums was mind-boggling. (the problem for referees being that Botha frequently appears to regard binding as an optional extra to his job spec.)

Observation: - I watched about 7 games (RABO, APL, Top 14) over the weekend, and I formed the impression that refs may have been directed not to blow up collapsed scrums in cases where the ball appears playable - anyone else notice this?)
                          Last edited by Old Dog; 7th-January-2013, 13:09.
                          New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dog View Post
                            As I've mentioned elsewhere, his repeated refusal to penalise Tamba (Cardiff's replacement THP) for not binding in a succession of attacking Munster scrums was mind-boggling. (the problem for referees being that Botha frequently appears to regard binding as an optional extra to his job spec.)

Observation: - I watched about 7 games (RABO, APL, Top 14) over the weekend, and I formed the impression that refs may have been directed not to blow up collapsed scrums in cases where the ball appears playable - anyone else notice this?)
                            Yes, he failed to spot the same when Munster played Leinster previosuly and puppy kept collapsing as he imitated a fold up deck chair - solution send him and Mike Ross to the bin - makes him look strong, but just failed to read what was happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dog View Post

Only watched the one game, so sample size renders irrelevant; but there were at least two in the Munster game where he seemed happy to do so.

I've heard some say they'd be happy enough with this 'interpretation' were it to become an edict - as long as it pertained to scrummages between each of the 22's. Would be mightily pissed off if I though the oppo could drop something inside their own 22 and force the team in possession to use the ball - especially so, given how bloody poor we've been at doing so...

...I'm against it. Scrummaging is a contest to the bitter end.

Comment

Working...
                              X