Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evil Omer
    replied
    I think Murray, whilst deserving at the time of his chance, probably hit Ireland level too early. The problem is although he's 23 he's probably only really 1 year or so in terms of pro level development. He's still learning and as I believe Outlaw (correctly) said has maybe only realised 60% of his ability at present. In a couple of years time he may have progressed a fair bit but at present he is painfully inconsistent and being so under the spotlight isn't helping.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin77
    replied
    Originally posted by Ragusa View Post
    Lets be Honest he is a pretty average S/H !!!

He is slow to the breakdown, has to step to make a pass and is usually asleep at scrum put in and take away. His kicking over the ruck is just average. if I were Penney I would bring back any decent S/H he can find in NZ while on hols next summer. Unless we are going to rob Connacht by making an offer to Marmion ???
    I respectfully disagree. He's 23 and as most younger players are can be a little inconsistent. He's had plenty of good games in both red and green and a few poor ones which tend to get highlighted.

I guarantee that in about 2-3 years times he will be a top scrum half and someone that we can't do without. Please bear in mind that at his age Sexton was struggling to get a game at Leinster. Scrum half is as much a cerebral position as out half and it takes to get the decision making process consistent as you move up levels. His ascent to Irish scrum half has been swift.

Leave a comment:

• Ragusa
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardP View Post
    Murray loses concentration too frequently; look at how many times have you seen him looking out to the backline while the ball was actually out and playable by the opposition. Or else he's involved in something else and not getting into position to perform his primary role. He is not as good a player now as he was two years ago IMHO.

Lets be Honest he is a pretty average S/H !!!

He is slow to the breakdown, has to step to make a pass and is usually asleep at scrum put in and take away. His kicking over the ruck is just average. if I were Penney I would bring back any decent S/H he can find in NZ while on hols next summer. Unless we are going to rob Connacht by making an offer to Marmion ???

Leave a comment:

• rathbaner
    replied
    I thought Ulster's kids played really well, we shouldn't lose sight of that.

Dire as Munster were I thought ROG was able to keep things moving forward when Munster got their hands on the ball. I think he's starting at 10 as much for his head as his hands and feet, and that's what Keatley has to overcome.

Munster had three or four decent opportunities that they couldn't put away due to errors or good Ulster defence. But I felt Munster were close, even though playing in fits and starts.

If O'Connell gets back and we're still in the hunt I'd be optimistic that we'd do well in the Pro12. But we'll need the team as a whole to make a big step up to get to a HEC QF or SF.

Leave a comment:

• Evil Omer
    replied
    Originally posted by The Spoofer View Post
    Yeah, it was all the acid in the 60's man.

Unfortunately I dont have the GIF gift but if you thought it was a shin or an arm then I assume biology was not a stong subject of yours.

If that had happened to a Munster player this place would be in meltdown mode.
    haven't seen it so can't comment hence not in uproar about it, as opposed to any bias.

Leave a comment:

• sewa
    replied
    So to sumup crap game overall but small signs of progress from the mcgahan era, if we can get over an awful run of injuries and maybe just maybe finally give JJ a chance we will have progressed very well in one season, it was always a 3 year job imo

Leave a comment:

• RichardP
    replied
    Originally posted by inglorious View Post
    Could you please tell me who are Springer and Horgan? If ye want to criticise people at least have the decency to spell their names properly.
    He meant Sprinter and Horton

Leave a comment:

• RichardP
    replied
    Originally posted by Ulster_til_I_die View Post
    Munster beat Connaught last week with a second string as did Leinster this week so your argument is irrelevant. No disrespect to Connaught but if they beat any of the other Provinces espeically Munster and Leinster, it is generally considered to be a shock result.
    It's CONNACHT

Leave a comment:

• RichardP
    replied
    Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
    I don't think Murray needs to speed up per se. He needs to boss his pack more.

I get the sense that his hovering is often because he's waiting for options to emerge, when he needs to be telling forwards to get their fat ****ing arses into the ****ing pocket, as my old SH would put it.
    Murray loses concentration too frequently; look at how many times have you seen him looking out to the backline while the ball was actually out and playable by the opposition. Or else he's involved in something else and not getting into position to perform his primary role. He is not as good a player now as he was two years ago IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• RichardP
    replied
    Originally posted by SUFTUM View Post
    Guys as an Ulster fan at the match....sweet baby jesus you can't be entertained by watching that drivel each week can you? I thought Luke Marshall was stand out MOM - gave Lualua a lesson in taking the ball at pace and into space (as did all of the Ulster backs). Your pack was maybe 6 of your first choice, whereas ours was zero of our first choice, and still you couldn't put us away? Wee P had his worst match in a very long time (behind a pack in trouble for first half at scrum) and still got the ball away from the bottom of rucks about a second quicker than Murray - why does he take that step? Who was his schools coach? Jeez get him to watch some tapes of Colin Patterson in his prime for a lesson in a quick pass off both hands.

I thought your back row fronted up well, but your backs choked big time. I read a post about Hurley for Ireland at some stage on this forum before the AI's...........what are you smoking in Limerick?????? And can I get some?

All in all, I think Anscombe will be happier tonight.....blooded some of the 3rd fifteen in a hostile match, finished much the stronger team in last 30 mins, and still 9 points clear of Scarlets who have to come to the Hill on Friday.......SUFTUM :)

Good luck in the Amlin.
    Murray was definitely slow but PM is a dirty wee fecker. It was the fourth time he stamped on a Munster player in a ruck - he'd need to be careful.
    Luke was good in many respects but he missed tackles in each of the Munster tries. Leading up to the PT Keatley stepped outside him easily, Zebo stepped inside him easily and POM blew right through him for his try.

Leave a comment:

• i_like_cake
    replied
    Munster v Ulster - Dec 29th 17.30 Team named #132

Any highlights...??

Leave a comment:

• The Last Stand
    replied
    Munster v Ulster - Dec 29th 17.30 Team named #132

Originally posted by Old Dog View Post
    Sorry Clubman but you appear to be confusing your Horgans with your Horans - "The Slug" was a winger, whereas, notwithstanding his tendency to lurk out on the wing, "The Hinge" is a prop.

Note to Mods. The above is being posted posted purely in the interests of factual accuracy.
    Nice one Mr D

Leave a comment:

• Old Dog
    replied
    Originally posted by John Cooper Clarke View Post
    Anthony Horgan was actually a whinger.
    Thanks for the clarification. Sadly, my memory is still addled following the massive amounts of cheap hooch that some charming folk poured into me last Saturday night.

Leave a comment:

• Miguel Sanchez
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Dog View Post
    Sorry Clubman but you appear to be confusing your Horgans with your Horans - "The Slug" was a centre, whereas, notwithstanding his tendency to lurk out on the wing, "The Hinge" is a prop.

Note to Mods. The above is being posted posted purely in the interests of factual accuracy.
    Anthony Horgan was actually a winger.

Leave a comment:

• Old Dog
    replied
    Originally posted by Clubman View Post
    And as for Horgan, The Slug as some poster here refers to him, I hated it when Penny selected him again last night.
    Sorry Clubman but you appear to be confusing your Horgans with your Horans - "The Slug" was a winger, whereas, notwithstanding his tendency to lurk out on the wing, "The Hinge" is a prop.

Last edited by Old Dog; 1st-January-2013, 13:07.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X