Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Munster v Ulster - Dec 29th 17.30 Team named #132

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
    you'd agree the crusaders are arguably the best club side in the world where as munster are scraping top 10 in europe? maybe not like for like. now if JJ was playing with clermont i'd agree with you
    He started his first game for Canterbury 12 months after his nomination for Junior Player of the Year. He was also the Baby Blacks captain btw. He certainly wasn't given an easy ride.

    Last year Tyler Bleyendaal's ride on rugby's magic carpet hit a dirty black cloud.At just 20 – before he had even represented Canterbury – the first five-eighth was signed-up for the Crusaders.
    Although All Blacks superstar Dan Carter was expected to hog the playmaker's job, there were predictions journeyman Matt Berquist and Bleyendaal would lock antlers in the scrap to be his deputy.
    Instead, it proved to be a no-contest and Bleyendaal was the loser.
    He never even got near the No10 jersey; the closest was when he suited-up as a reserve for the opening round match against the Blues.
    The lowest point came when the Crusaders were decimated by injuries during their two-match trip to South Africa in May; Bleyendaal had been omitted from the original touring side but when coach Todd Blackadder fired back an SOS for reinforcements he hoped for a call-up.
    But Blackadder recruited wider training group player Tom Taylor, who could also cover second-five, instead.
    "It was frustrating – especially when there were heaps of injuries over in South Africa and there were plenty of positions open," Bleyendaal admitted. "It was frustrating, for sure, but there was not much I could do about it."
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/s...-start-at-last

    Comment


      Re: Munster v Ulster - Dec 29th 17.30 Team named #132

      Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post

      we'll take JJ since munster don't want to use him. I can guarantee progression a la Henshaw.
      Will you ever shag off. If Duffy wasn't injured we still wouldn't know who Henshaw was.
      When things go wrong, blame McGahan

      Comment


        Originally posted by SUFTUM View Post
        Guys as an Ulster fan at the match....sweet baby jesus you can't be entertained by watching that drivel each week can you? I thought Luke Marshall was stand out MOM - gave Lualua a lesson in taking the ball at pace and into space (as did all of the Ulster backs). Your pack was maybe 6 of your first choice, whereas ours was zero of our first choice, and still you couldn't put us away? Wee P had his worst match in a very long time (behind a pack in trouble for first half at scrum) and still got the ball away from the bottom of rucks about a second quicker than Murray - why does he take that step? Who was his schools coach? Jeez get him to watch some tapes of Colin Patterson in his prime for a lesson in a quick pass off both hands.

        I thought your back row fronted up well, but your backs choked big time. I read a post about Hurley for Ireland at some stage on this forum before the AI's...........what are you smoking in Limerick?????? And can I get some?

        All in all, I think Anscombe will be happier tonight.....blooded some of the 3rd fifteen in a hostile match, finished much the stronger team in last 30 mins, and still 9 points clear of Scarlets who have to come to the Hill on Friday.......SUFTUM

        Good luck in the Amlin.

        A textbook example of the delusionary mindset that has made the failed sectarian statlet of NI a laughing stock around the globe.

        Remind us of what the Ulllssstterrrrmen have won in the modern era.......other than a facile gift in a weakened tournament about 50 years ago...
        Yet they spout as if they were world champs. Iris Robinson help us.
        Which 6 of the Munster pack line up were 1st choice?
        In fact it was only 2. The Munster 2nds were playing the Ullstterrrrr 2nd pack.
        Yet still the Ullllssstterrrrmin got thumped.

        Comment


          Originally posted by SUFTUM View Post
          Guys as an Ulster fan at the match....sweet baby jesus you can't be entertained by watching that drivel each week can you? I thought Luke Marshall was stand out MOM - gave Lualua a lesson in taking the ball at pace and into space (as did all of the Ulster backs). Your pack was maybe 6 of your first choice, whereas ours was zero of our first choice, and still you couldn't put us away? Wee P had his worst match in a very long time (behind a pack in trouble for first half at scrum) and still got the ball away from the bottom of rucks about a second quicker than Murray - why does he take that step? Who was his schools coach? Jeez get him to watch some tapes of Colin Patterson in his prime for a lesson in a quick pass off both hands.

          I thought your back row fronted up well, but your backs choked big time. I read a post about Hurley for Ireland at some stage on this forum before the AI's...........what are you smoking in Limerick?????? And can I get some?

          All in all, I think Anscombe will be happier tonight.....blooded some of the 3rd fifteen in a hostile match, finished much the stronger team in last 30 mins, and still 9 points clear of Scarlets who have to come to the Hill on Friday.......SUFTUM

          Good luck in the Amlin.
          Originally posted by joeriddick View Post
          Thankfully we only see Todger sh!tposters like this on here twice a season. I hope you guys actually win something this year because I've never seen so much crowing from a team that haven't won a thing in 7 years.
          Thing is joe theres some actual facts like if or not in SUFTUM's post; casey runs arcs most of the time instead of drawing his man and passing outside and trying to create the overlap; murray is way too slow at the back of rucks and dont even get me started on us losing the put in because he stands there staring with his mouth open after the ref says engage; Hurley is even not top Hcup club standard let alone Intl, he's too slow, his fielding as we saw again tonight is poor, whatever we saw when he burst onto the scene in 08 is gone, and it looks like it aint coming back

          Comment


            Would have to agree on the above mention of Murray, after a few very good performances he looked quite slow at ruck time last night...

            Comment


              Who is this (Henshaw) ?

              Comment


                Frustrating game to watch I thought. Yes we were better than the opposition, but not by that much. We didn't have the ball nor territory in the 1st half, and never looked like scoring a 4th try in the 2nd half.

                There's little creativity only plenty of honest endeavour. Unfortunately at the sharp end that just won't get results.
                Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

                Comment


                  I thought the whole team looked as though they had a bit of a seasonal hangover. Will watch it back today but everyone just looked slightly off the pace. Would an accusation of complacency be far from the mark I wonder? I have a feeling there might be a good old fashioned b*llocking administered by RP this week and expect to see a much better performance against Cardiff.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
                    I thought the whole team looked as though they had a bit of a seasonal hangover. Will watch it back today but everyone just looked slightly off the pace. Would an accusation of complacency be far from the mark I wonder? I have a feeling there might be a good old fashioned b*llocking administered by RP this week and expect to see a much better performance against Cardiff.
                    Not complacency, It was anxiety. Expected to win well but the pack lacked Killer, Sherry (who would not have ballsed up key attacking positions - for the umpteenth time -a la Varley), DR, POC, Coughlan and Stander. There was a lack of fluency - trying too hard. They were never outplayed by the Ulllsttterrrrmin at any point - it was desperation stuff from them fearing a hiding. It's always a disadvantage being strong favourites. And we did well, put them away easily enough.
                    By the way:
                    Rolland is Bonkers. He's losing it - the pack we're laughing at him and his mad decisions.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Major TNT View Post
                      Downey has more to offer definitely but is it up to him to create opportunities , or for those around him to gift them to him? We all thought when they arrived that downey would bash it up, and give to casey to jink in, but has that happened once? they dont look to have any understanding of what they're supposed to be doing, or how to impact the game. which for professionals at that level is worrying.
                      The more I look at it i think out short term best solution is zebo at fb (felix unable to stay injury free, earls, howlett on the wing, downey and keatley in centre. Worth a try because we're not very incisive as it it

                      wouldn't be upset with that backline either right now. The issue with Downey is that ROG chipping over the top for him is wishful thinking, he's not the quickest off the mark so need a different IC for that plan or at least someone else standing up, and if we stand miles behind the gain line (which ROG is doing at present) we give Downey the ball miles back with little chance of getting momentum. He needs a flat pass to charge onto near the gain line, then someone like him will do damage. The second issue is Laulala just doesn't seem to have any ability to run off the shoulder or to jink and step, his natural game is to run (rather slowly) around the outside which doesn't work off Downey and kills our space and time out wide. The midfield combination just doesn't work at all. Earls is possibly the only player of first choice standing that will run the lines at OC off Downey, although Keatley's running style has potential since he's a more natural running in close areas. Otherwise we have to look back at what guys like Barnes can offer or try something off the wall, like Hanrahan at IC and Keatley at OC.
                      \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by MrsMcGahan View Post
                        Not complacency, It was anxiety. Expected to win well but the pack lacked Killer, Sherry (who would not have ballsed up key attacking positions - for the umpteenth time -a la Varley), DR, POC, Coughlan and Stander. There was a lack of fluency - trying too hard. They were never outplayed by the Ulllsttterrrrmin at any point - it was desperation stuff from them fearing a hiding. It's always a disadvantage being strong favourites. And we did well, put them away easily enough.
                        By the way:
                        Rolland is Bonkers. He's losing it - the pack we're laughing at him and his mad decisions.

                        i agree ...couldn't work out the basis for some his calls yesterday....
                        "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by joeriddick View Post
                          Didn't struggle to beat them. Munster won by 14 points easing up.
                          The easing up is the issue, a better side would have come back and beaten us and the easing up didn't appear to so much be by choice as by substitution and inability.

                          Originally posted by Major TNT View Post
                          Watched it on tv and when butler caught and then booted into touch the noise from the crowd came through loud and clear.
                          Did he do enough elsewhere do you think?
                          Penney seems to be keeping JJ under wraps, I dont know why, if it was connaught or ulster he'd have gotten plenty of 1st XV gametime by now
                          Said a couple of times in last 2 games the bit that's impressed me with Butler is he's playing good back row wet weather rugby. Which is impressive because he's a ball handling runner more than a grunt style player and isn't physically where he will develop to but he's got stuck in and done the donkey work well. Always getting into breakdown, cleared up crappy ball a bit, on players shoulders a lot, first man to support the tackled man a lot of the game (which shows he's tracking the game and has the engine to do it in a more grinding game). His real talent will show in dryer games but that he (and DOC 2.0 in earlier games) are showing up in the grunt work this early in their careers is a very positive sign.


                          Originally posted by Talking Sense View Post
                          What was so bad about KC? Thought he made some great hits and nice offloads.

                          It was a workmanlike performance, the conditions were awful so that must be taken into account. I thought WDP had his best game in some time, the 2nd rows were good too.

                          The best player on the pitch was Luke Marshall, he was a cut above the rest, would love to see him ahead of P Wallace at club level and then Darcy in the green.
                          I think one of the few general agreements on here has been that Luke Marshall is quality. As for Laulala, the biggest issue is he simply doesn't have the game for the level we want. He rarely straightens, his choice being to either kick (poorly often) or to arc slowly around the outside and push our play into touch. He also has a habit of continuing the shovel ****e along the line practice. (Even Dougie is doing dumb things these days so it's obviously catching). I think personally the idea that this guy is a rival to a fit Earls for the OC slot is bizarre. Earls does so many different things to him, in particular having the ability to straighten, run lines off carriers, step and just has so much pace that there shouldn't be a competition at all. Plus I got fed up with watching CLL miss one up tackles in broken play this season so to be honest it's about time he was making telling hits. If the IRFU policy of not renewing NIQ player contracts is in place I don't think his not being renewed is going to damage Munster. I'm sure he's a great guy and he certainly doesn't go hiding when he gets something wrong but his game is not what we need in any way shape or form, especially when the OH, IC (to a lesser extent) and one wing are all experienced guys failing to produce anything particularly good either.
                          \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Evil Omer View Post
                            wouldn't be upset with that backline either right now. The issue with Downey is that ROG chipping over the top for him is wishful thinking, he's not the quickest off the mark so need a different IC for that plan or at least someone else standing up, and if we stand miles behind the gain line (which ROG is doing at present) we give Downey the ball miles back with little chance of getting momentum. He needs a flat pass to charge onto near the gain line, then someone like him will do damage. The second issue is Laulala just doesn't seem to have any ability to run off the shoulder or to jink and step, his natural game is to run (rather slowly) around the outside which doesn't work off Downey and kills our space and time out wide. The midfield combination just doesn't work at all. Earls is possibly the only player of first choice standing that will run the lines at OC off Downey, although Keatley's running style has potential since he's a more natural running in close areas. Otherwise we have to look back at what guys like Barnes can offer or try something off the wall, like Hanrahan at IC and Keatley at OC.
                            Well, ROG didn't play alongside Downey at any stage last night so I don't think he can be blamed for his poor performance this time.

                            Our centres are slow and lacking in some fairly basic skills. A Keatley/Earls combination would be far more dangerous and suited to Penney's game plan IMO. Let ROG hand on the baton to JJ at 10 this season and away we go.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Ragusa View Post
                              Did JJ Hanrahan tell you that to yourself or did you pick up those gems in the local hostelry . Maybe you are JJs Agent !!!! RP is not foolish and is used to working with young players at Canterbury. He did not recruit one single player currently on the books of Munster so he has to sort who he wants to keep and what player he needs to recruit and I am sure he will have worked that out well before next September. One of the key issues he will have to decide is whether he retains ROG or not . That decision will decide a lot of issues at Munster.
                              the biggest thing he needs to work out is that recruiting isn't a massive option, we don't have the money and this isn't the 2nd tier competition where people will change club for less money, if he doesn't like what we've got coming through then he's in trouble. If he doesn't like a guy rated (not by the Irish but by IRB level ratings) one of the 3 best U20s in the world then we're all in trouble.
                              \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

                              Comment


                                I don't know why Dineen isn't given a chance. Far better IC than Downey. Can see some other club grab him ala Cronin and Ross

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X