European Club Rugby -Im getting fed up of this

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Criticism for the the fact that all Irish provinces have agreat passionate support and to be fair with Tigers and Toulouse have made thetournament what it is .
    The fact that we do it without sugar daddy’s , that we werelooked down upon by our neighbours when rugby went professional yet have built a successful model for ourcountry .
    The RFU are responsible for the demise of English rugby in Europe - Tigers should be a huge competitor in Europe given their fan base (similar toMunster/Leinster if not better at home) –its not our fault the RFU have put a wage cap on English sides and they havemessed it up trying to even out Tigers and Chiefs = you got what you wanted RFU – and this relegationstuff is rubbish , one team goes downnot 8 .
    Its also not our fault that Welsh fans have never taken to provincialset up and Pontypool get as many fans as Ospreys .
    Stop blaming us -when the IRFU run the game well for our country – we have as many away fansfrom the 3 big provinces as some clubshave home fans – not our fault the fact we have grown the game when you havenot .
    There is no doubt jealousy is the current overriding emotionand we have ended up the bad guys for being successful at Heino level – Irish provincial rugby has been immense itsgiven so much to so many people thereare people that want to equalise it when lets face it they cannot get fans sittingon seats in the first place or when you do (Tigers ) you have messed it up .
    Not our fault we have moved the game on from a fan / passionperspective – stop blaming us for yourfailures.
    Rant over

Copy and pasted from Word -some words emalgamated into one

Comment

Some valid points but when the Irish provinces bring the real money that the English and French clubs then they will have true power. The IRFU bring feck all to the table in terms of money and are heavily subsidised by the English and French in both the 6 Nations and the HEC.
      \"God gave me the talent but the forwards gave me the ball\" - Jannie De Beer

\"I hesitate to use words like spiritual or religious, but to see what rugby means to Munster people is very moving\" Shaun Payne

I look back on 2008 at the Millennium Stadium as the highlight of my career because, although being capped by New Zealand and playing for the All Blacks was fantastic, this was special. - Doug Howlett

Comment

Originally posted by overthehillprop View Post
        Some valid points but when the Irish provinces bring the real money that the English and French clubs then they will have true power. The IRFU bring feck all to the table in terms of money and are heavily subsidised by the English and French in both the 6 Nations and the HEC.
        Subsidised how?

The fact that England and France are larger TV markets does not mean that the English and French sides could attract that money without us. People tune in for the EUROPEAN cup and the SIX nations. Reduce either comp to an Anglo-French affair and just watch the TV money evaporate.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
          Subsidised how?

The fact that England and France are larger TV markets does not mean that the English and French sides could attract that money without us. People tune in for the EUROPEAN cup and the SIX nations. Reduce either comp to an Anglo-French affair and just watch the TV money evaporate.
          subsidized in terms of the irfu receiving more money than they bring to the table in its current format. yes the Irish national side and the provinces go a long way to making both comps what they are but without the money from the French and English tv markets we are fupped. the tv deal for the rabo tells you all you need to know.

\"I hesitate to use words like spiritual or religious, but to see what rugby means to Munster people is very moving\" Shaun Payne

I look back on 2008 at the Millennium Stadium as the highlight of my career because, although being capped by New Zealand and playing for the All Blacks was fantastic, this was special. - Doug Howlett

Comment

Originally posted by overthehillprop View Post
            the tv deal for the rabo tells you all you need to know.
            . You may be interested to know, (I don't think I've seen it mentioned in here) but I've heard from well placed sources that Sky are sounding out taking the next tv deal for the rabo games. Current deal expires after next season
            Seas suas agus troid!

Comment

Its irish fans, tigers, toulouse and asm that turn up for the games in big numbers and make an atmosphere , if the game is about watching on sky then the sky fans will lose interest when the stadiums are empty. Im fed up of the criticism and the want to bring the fans that made the heineken down to the lowest common denominator of what happened last weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by crowl1 View Post
                Its irish fans, tigers, toulouse and asm that turn up for the games in big numbers and make an atmosphere , if the game is about watching on sky then the sky fans will lose interest when the stadiums are empty. Im fed up of the criticism and the want to bring the fans that made the heineken down to the lowest common denominator of what happened last weekend.
                the money is in tv revenue. look at munster kick off times for round 5 & 6. Nothing to do with the fans - all about tv. The same in most sports

Comment

Othp ive lived in england for a long time before we won a heino the english wanted to watch munster at home and they wanted to draw us in the groups , it was because of the atmosphere at thomond on tv and the great time they had when munster hit town , its the fans that make it not sky.Without the passion the tournament is finished ,an aviva game is by and largely boring in terms of atmosphere unless tigers hit town , why the fans .

Comment

For success you need a market AND a product. We have the product, so no need for apologies for forcing the Brits and Frogs to pay up.

Comment

Originally posted by LLCOOLJ14 View Post
                      . You may be interested to know, (I don't think I've seen it mentioned in here) but I've heard from well placed sources that Sky are sounding out taking the next tv deal for the rabo games. Current deal expires after next season
                      I'd say its likely to happen I'd say. They'll be desperate for more rugby union when the English clubs move to BT and the rabo league would be cheap to buy.

Comment

Pity, my Irish speaking has come on leaps and bounds since TG4 started covering it!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsMcGahan View Post
                          For success you need a market AND a product. We have the product, so no need for apologies for forcing the Brits and Frogs to pay up.
                          If they weren't so short-sighted, the club owners would realise that it's in their own interests to share the wealth. Maintaining strong competition on the field by cooperating off the field will mean greater commercial success for everybody. They need to realise that other sports and other forms of entertainment are the commercial competition, not other rugby teams.

The NFL model, which actively ensures that nobody gets too strong and nobody gets too weak, works. The Premiership (soccer) model, which actively ensures that all of the playing talent ends up concentrated in a few wealthy but unprofitable clubs, does not. Both competitions are hugely popular but the latter is a financial basket-case.
                          Last edited by Munsterboy; 20th-December-2012, 14:56.

Comment

Interesting take crowl1, but I can't say I agree with all you say.

Sure, RFU are not doing their sides any favours, but what's new (remember Carling's comments....). That said Tigers have been the architect iof some of their own problems. They have not recruited too well, mainly in the coaching/management dept for starters. Exeter are doing well in that they would have been seen as 2nd-tier and are maintaining their position well with players perceived to be a little below what is required (I see similarities with Munster going back).

But there are always ups and downs in the fortunes of teams (incl. clubs). I remember going to Cardiff to see a French side blow Tigers away; the talk on the train back was only about how the enormous gap could be bridged. Looking back Brive would not be seen as powerhouses even then. Tigers had some good years but the Italians won't be thanking the ref for losing last w-end.

Every team has ups and downs. Neither Munster nor Leinster look too hot this year. Ulster looked good until losing Muller. Toulon and Clermont now look all powerful, but the final is 6 months away. As for supporters and atmosphere - yep those you mentioned all have their good points, but College Road this w-end mightn't be bad either, and it certainly won't be a stroll in the park for us.

Comment

Lads to be clearer on where im coming from is that Im fed up of other NH nations wanting to change how it all works because the IRFU have in fairness done a very good job - I heard this grow for years now as its its propagated falsely by English rugby clubs to earn more money when they cannot get fans through the gates and as far as I can recall Laurance Dally started with this circa 2008 - its now deemed as fact by english premiership rugby e.g
                              You dont compete for your own league - well 2-3 Irish sides are in the top 4 every year .
                              The Rabo is a weak league - 3 welsh sides that split the finest of welsh rugby(according to BBC the best in Europe ) , 2 Sides that are pretty much the Scottish international squad and 3 sides that spilt the Irish squad - its not weak its strong when compared to the Aviva and the boring drivel handed out week after week .
                              Its not our fault they cannot create an enviorment where they have accpetable crowds accross the piece - neither is it our fault that the star clubs they have with big support have been nuetralised by their own policy.
                              Have to say im angry after being in Guantanamo bay last weekend and seeing the lowering of standards to unacceptable levels for supporters , then what really got me was some spanner saying on the sarries review the Irish have manipulated European rubgy .
                              Fans make this game not Sky - The irish fans / tigers /ASM/Toulouse fans have made the tournament - every final i have been to when there is no emotional investment there must be at least 5k Irish and tigers in the numbers of 1-2k because we are fans of great clubs and love the game .

From an Irishmans perspective our fans made huge contributions to make the tornament what it is and should be credited - i resent Irish rugby being held up for all that is bad with rugby in other countries as they cannot get people engaged ,people attending games or their business models sorted out - which they clearly have not .
                              Those that talk of Sky - lets face it in the grand plan most people have sky for soccer rugby is an add on for sky as is RL etc - Do we make more from a sucessful Rabo Season that than a Heino

Comment

Working...
                              X