Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dont like the sound of this

Rob Penney in yesterdays irish times

The Munster coach said his Irish internationals would be available for six of the next eight matches and the key was to find the right mix over that period. He said the success of Simon Zebo, in particular, at fullback for Ireland and Keith Earls at outside centre increased his options and he confirmed Munster were not under pressure from the Irish management to select them in particular positions. “It is up to us . . . but we are endeavouring to help Irish rugby achieve what it needs to. We talk a lot and we’ll endeavour to meet their needs where we can, but we also need to be conscious of the needs of our team. Hopefully can meet everyone’s needs.”

The Kiwi said the November internationals had been very good for Munster and that they will benefit from it. “I think it was exciting Donnacha Ryan had such a dominant performance in that last Test. I thought Peter O’Mahony really came on and had a big influence on the tough, robust aspects of that game. And out the back we were really happy with Conor Murray and Keith Earls playing so well,” said Penney, who was delighted with the way Zebo took his chance at fullback.
    “When a guy like that gets an opportunity and comes through as well as he has it is wonderful for everyone involved. He has created another positional option for us. Every time they get put against world class opposition like that it is an opportunity . . . also for some of the younger blokes to grow . . . out of the fact they can play at that level,” he said.
    If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.

Really? He seems pretty positive.
    "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

For all their talk in England about being unhappy with the format of the Heineken cup putting their best players out against the AB's after a heavy month of games the weekend before what is often the most crucial fixture in the Heineken cup is asking to much of their players, and hopefully their Saracens players.

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
        Really? He seems pretty positive.
        I assume munsterforever is referring to the doublespeak in the first paragraph, in which RP tells us that Munster have full control over their players and where they play them, before going on to tell us that "actually, we sometimes don't."

Comment

Originally posted by munsterforever View Post
          Rob Penney in yesterdays irish times..............
          We talk a lot and we’ll endeavour to meet their needs where we can, but we also need to be conscious of the needs of our team. Hopefully can meet everyone’s needs.”
          How you can read "Actually sometimes we don't (have control)" into those comments defeats me.

You could be paranoid for Ireland

Comment

The IRFU pay the wages, whats the issue?

Comment

Originally posted by bugler View Post
              I assume munsterforever is referring to the doublespeak in the first paragraph, in which RP tells us that Munster have full control over their players and where they play them, before going on to tell us that "actually, we sometimes don't."
              Not all that different to NZ though. Not the last World Cup but the one before Henry told all of the kiwi teams what defensive system they had to use so that all the ABs would be drilled in it.
              "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

It isn't, and it's just one of the prices of central contracting. It's just a pity the national team have such a relatively poor record compared to the provinces, seeing as the national side is prioritised above them.

Originally posted by MrsMcGahan View Post
                How you can read "Actually sometimes we don't (have control)" into those comments defeats me.

You could be paranoid for Ireland
                I'm going to take a wild guess and say you don't work in PR or politics.

Comment

It isn't, and it's just one of the prices of central contracting. It's just a pity the national team have such a relatively poor record compared to the provinces, seeing as the national side is prioritised above them.

Right, so; if RP says there's no central orders, that means there ARE. But if he says there are, that means there are, too.

Everything confirms the conspiracy theory, eh?
                  Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsMcGahan
                    Nonsense. If he is seriously constrained......why the hell say anything?

So central contracts now are really about a plot to use the provinces as sort of experimental labs?
                    Are the Truthers on to this yet?
                    Wait until they hear about the Rand Corporation and the Reverse Vampires...
                    Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

Nonsense. If he is seriously constrained......why the hell say anything?

So central contracts now are really about a plot to use the provinces as sort of experimental labs?

Are the Truthers onto this yet?

Comment

Unknot your knickers. We had it on record from McGahan's time that Munster were asked to play Donnacha Ryan at 6. Who needs conspiracy?

I am assuming incoming coaches at the provinces are given an idea of some of the nuances of working with a central system, for better or worse. So it won't be a surprise to them. All this, "It's our choice, but..." doesn't do anything to alter that impression. If it's purely Munster's choice, then what are the meetings and talking about the national team's "needs" for? The national team clearly have a say, otherwise there would be no meetings specifically to talk about its "needs".

Don't work yourselves into a lather so quickly, lads. It isn't really that contentious an idea.

Comment

But, he did not say: "It's our choice. but...."

what he said was: "We’ll endeavour to meet their needs where we can, but.........."

Which, in normal English means..........."We'll try to help them out....BUT.......sometimes we won't"

Of course there's pressure/requests - but it's not an illuminati operation....
                          In reality it depends on the games involved. If Munster are playing a must win game they have no problem vetoing any central wishes. The idea that RP has to await DK's early morning calls before even deciding whether to have corn flakes or muesli though is more appealing than boring old common sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomond78 View Post
                            Wait until they hear about the Rand Corporation and the Reverse Vampires...
                            We're through the looking glass here people.
                            "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

I dont like the sound of it either, if only there was a forum for my displeasure
                              My computer thinks I'm gay
                              What's the difference anyway
                              When all the people do all day
                              Is stare into a phone

Comment

Working...
                              X