• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In my mailbox this morning......

Anyone know what this is about?
    Attached Files
    Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
    Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Anyone ring the number?

Comment

Not yet as I suspect it might be a loony at the other end.

Comment

It is a Cork number....
        He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

I think it may relate to where Schools players are not allowed to play for clubs (unless there is a special dispensation)
          I could be mistaken, but it sounds as if someone has a serious gripe about this
          Con Artist

Comment

They must have Val. The page was posted into my physical mailbox at work this morning in duplicate.

Comment

It's the number of the Munster Rugby offices in Cork, knew it looked familiar.

Comment

Branch are trying to bring in a rule that if a player transfers to a different school they will not be eligible to play for that school in the first season of their move. I'd imagine that is what the email is about.
                Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

It's also posted in shops all over Thomondgate.

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud View Post
                    Branch are trying to bring in a rule that if a player transfers to a different school they will not be eligible to play for that school in the first season of their move. I'd imagine that is what the email is about.
                    Is it if they Transfer during the season or if for example the finish 1st year in one school and the do second year at another - and they can't play from the start of a new season?

If the former- then I don't see the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumptruck View Post
                      Is it if they Transfer during the season or if for example the finish 1st year in one school and the do second year at another - and they can't play from the start of a new season?

If the former- then I don't see the issue.
                      From what I remember it's all to do with the school cup years. I'm pretty sure I posted an article on it at some stage as there was a threat of legal action if I remember correctly. Will see if I can dig it out.

Edit. Here it is.

Munster schools in revolt

By Simon Lewis
                      Friday, August 31, 2012
                      Munster Rugby could be set for a legal battle over plans to introduce a one-year qualifying period before newly enrolled students can play in the Munster Schools Senior Cup.
                      Following a new motion brought in by the Munster Branch Age Grade committee this month, players transferring from one school to another will, from the 2013-14 school year, be unable to compete for their new school in the Munster Senior Schools Cup for a year after enrolling.

The threat of legal action against the motion comes following a summer of wrangling between schools, rugby clubs and the Munster Branch itself over player eligibility in the province’s most prestigious underage competition.

Feelings are running high among those both ‘for’ and ‘against’ the proposal, with suggestions that other provinces are closely monitoring developments in Munster, thus taking the issue nationwide.

The thinking behind the motion, proposed by Castletroy College at the Munster Schools’ Rugby AGM in May but passed on to the Munster Branch’s Age Grade committee before a vote was taken, was to curb the perceived exodus of the province’s best school-age players from the clubs and Munster Youths set-up as well as rival ‘A’ Schools to other ‘A’ Schools, all eight of which compete annually for the Munster Schools Senior Cup.

John Broderick, head coach of the St Munchin’s rugby team in Limerick, is vehemently opposed to the motion and wants the lead-in period extended to two years if it cannot be overturned.

Broderick told the Irish Examiner: "I know that certain schools want this motion completely thrown out. It’s restricting the rights of schools that have played this game for 100 years to have students come in and be part of the school population and have the right to play Senior Cup without restriction except for age.

"Schools are going to go down the legal route, I know for a fact. Our school will put forward a legal challenge to this if there isn’t an extended derogation and if there isn’t a proposal to get rid of this proposal altogether, to cap (player transfers to) six players (per year).

"Our Leaving (Certificate) students that came in this year were told: ‘The board of management at this school will vindicate your right to play in the Munster Schools Senior Cup without restriction bar the existing restriction on age eligibility’."

Proposers of the motion dispute that it denies a pupil’s right to play, with Declan English of Castletroy College, the school’s delegate to the Munster Branch and Munster Schools team manager, explaining it is designed to level the playing field and protect the youths pathway within age-grade rugby.

"We’re not stopping guys going to any school to play rugby.

"What we are saying is there are two distinct pathways in the IRFU now, a schools pathway and a youths pathway designed for kids who don’t go to rugby-playing schools.

"If they go in transition year and transfer to another school because they want to play rugby, then that’s a way to go. They don’t go down the youths track and they don’t cause any confusion.

"The pathway is defined, they’ve chosen the schools pathway and best of luck to them.

"We’re just trying to stop people packing in their teams.

"This is about the ethics of the game and the ethics of competition as well. There’s no way schools can compete when otherschools are doing this.

"Our school hurling team is in the Harty Cup and we’ve kids dropping out of rugby because they’re saying ‘we can’t win the Senior Cup but we’ve more chance of getting somewhere in the Harty Cup’.

"So our senior (rugby) squad is down to very little and we’re struggling. We’re doing our best but we’ve no way of changing that. We take kids in in first year and take them all the way through and don’t bring others in. We keep what we have and develop them."

With the eight ‘A’ schools apparently split, with five in favour of the new motion and three against, there is hope that some middle ground can be found, with St Munchin’s’ Broderick suggesting a two-year lead-in period and a cap on the number of players transferring schools each year.

Irish Examiner
                      Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Its a strange mail,looks like they just want to make a statement but not much else.

Comment

Originally posted by John Cooper Clarke View Post
                          Not yet as I suspect it might be a loony at the other end.
                          I suspect you are correct.

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud View Post

John Broderick, head coach of the St Munchin’s rugby team in Limerick, is vehemently opposed to the motion and wants the lead-in period extended to two years if it cannot be overturned.

Broderick told the Irish Examiner: "I know that certain schools want this motion completely thrown out. It’s restricting the rights of schools that have played this game for 100 years to have students come in and be part of the school population and have the right to play Senior Cup without restriction except for age.
                            says the man who poached Earls from Nessans to Munchins....

Comment

Originally posted by Valencia View Post
                              I think it may relate to where Schools players are not allowed to play for clubs (unless there is a special dispensation)
                              I could be mistaken, but it sounds as if someone has a serious gripe about this
                              I heard about that rule, for an outsider like me it sounds ridiculous. Why is this in place?

Good young players barred from competing for clubs even if the school is knocked out of their competition.
                              Talent falling through the net going to play other sports.??

From what I've heard its a rule based on the Leinster rugby culture. Is this true?
                              The axe that cuts the tree can easily forget, but the tree thats been cut will not forget.

Originally posted by the plastic paddy
                              Gwan the Welsh

Comment

Working...
                              X