No announcement yet.

Munster blogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boxing Clever - a look at Christmas fixtures, player development pathways, attacking style and Mike Tyson's words of wisdom.

https://overthehillprop.wixsite.com/.../boxing-clever

Sent from my Redmi 5 Plus using Tapatalk

\"God gave me the talent but the forwards gave me the ball\" - Jannie De Beer

\"I hesitate to use words like spiritual or religious, but to see what rugby means to Munster people is very moving\" Shaun Payne

I look back on 2008 at the Millennium Stadium as the highlight of my career because, although being capped by New Zealand and playing for the All Blacks was fantastic, this was special. - Doug Howlett

Comment

Happy new year to all. Good read above from OTHP. My latest edition looks back at the visit of Leinster who physically blew us back from the try line as much as the wind blew back our box kicks in the first half.
      The strong wind was noted on the drive to Limerick, in seeing the flags blowing as we crossed the Shannon by King Johns castle and when looking at the flags flapping briskly behind the south terrace. A game of two halves we thought and to some extent it was but it was more a game…
      www.WestTerraceView.wordpress.com

Comment

My article in the Examiner on what Munster need to do to continue their progress and how it can be measured.
        https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breaki....co/9u5svfHrKi

\"I hesitate to use words like spiritual or religious, but to see what rugby means to Munster people is very moving\" Shaun Payne

I look back on 2008 at the Millennium Stadium as the highlight of my career because, although being capped by New Zealand and playing for the All Blacks was fantastic, this was special. - Doug Howlett

Comment

Excellent article OTHP and a very good template for how to develop the squad

Comment

Originally posted by overthehillprop View Post
            My article in the Examiner on what Munster need to do to continue their progress and how it can be measured.
            https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breaki....co/9u5svfHrKi

Brilliant article and highlights specifically the issues around ball carriers.

I also think the comment that the squad need to upskill around passing, looking for space etc highlight that its hard for Ireland to play that way when players aren't skilled enough

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Comment

Excellent article. I cant help thinking though that the uber physical nature of the modern game is not sustainable as evidenced by the number of injuries sustained by all teams during a season. I think the focus must change and this will happen as a result of a change in tactics or by rule changes, the demise of the choke tackle and the emphasis on stamping out high tackles are recent evidence of the direction the game is going to be forced go if it doesn't evolve naturaly.
              Running at space instead of into bodies has to be reinvented as a viable tactic. I thought the Japanese in the RWC example might lead to some new thought but we're still seeing the same old emphasis on crash and bash.
              We need to think outside the box like Conor O'Shea was forced to do with Italy at times. I think our players need to upskill, with the emphasis on mobility instead of strength and weight....

I'd prefer watch a single Iribaren pass than multiple collisions between giant scrum halfs, wouldn't we all?
              Last edited by Surveyor; 16th-January-2020, 13:46.
              'twas wicked yousir!

Comment

Great to see the younger generation play a big role in the game and experience the European atmosphere for the first time albeit in a dead rubber. Let's hope they get the opportunities to build on that during the six nations and get Munster back to the top of the Conference.
                There was a beautiful sunset in my rear view mirror as I drove back to Dublin after the game. When our pool opponents were announced the outlook was not good given the calibre of opposition. The draw at home to Racing cost us dearly along with not picking up losing bonus points at either of…
                www.WestTerraceView.wordpress.com

Comment

Thanks Dearg Doom. Nice article.

And that sunset was spectacular.
                  "Fineen Wycherley was everywhere. When I watched this video back late on Saturday night I half expected to look up from my laptop to find him in my kitchen ' TRK Nov 3rd 2019 following Cardiff v Munster

Comment

A little project I've been working on for the last while.

Will post up Part 1 this weekend.

https://overthehillprop.wixsite.com/...valry-was-born

Comment

Part 1 of my look back at the 05/06 season and how it shaped Irish rugby and started the Munster Leinster rivalry.

https://overthehillprop.wixsite.com/...returning-home

Comment

Part 1 of my look back at the 05/06 season and how it shaped Irish rugby and started the Munster Leinster rivalry.

https://overthehillprop.wixsite.com/...returning-home

Part 2

https://overthehillprop.wixsite.com/...t-2-two-tribes

Comment

Great memories OTHP, thanks for putting all that together. Your description of the press coverage after the New Year's Eve loss in Dublin made me smile

The press went to town on Munster who depending on who you read were one dimensional, lack width, lack depth, lack this, lack that. As Pat Geraghty, the Munster media manager said, the only thing they weren’t lacking at the time was critics. Former Munster player Tony Ward stuck the boot in harder than most, saying that Munster were a one trick pony, there inadequacies behind the scrum were an embarrassment and that if Munster had gotten a losing bonus point from the game it would have been a robbery. Donal Lenihan writing in the Irish Examiner seemed to be one of the very few voices of reason at the time. He noted that Munster were trying something new, moving away from their traditional forward power game and that rugby is a multi-faceted game.
                          Some things never change!
                          Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
                            Great memories OTHP, thanks for putting all that together. Your description of the press coverage after the New Year's Eve loss in Dublin made me smile

Some things never change!
                            Thanks Chips. Was brilliant to do the research on. Brought back so many good memories. Was an absolute fecker to do research on. Trying to get video clips or sometimes even the named team was a struggle. Leinster rugby website has a archive section for news but it only starts in 2009.

Comment

Thanks Chips. Was brilliant to do the research on. Brought back so many good memories. Was an absolute fecker to do research on. Trying to get video clips or sometimes even the named team was a struggle. Leinster rugby website has a archive section for news but it only starts in 2009.
                              Understandable!

Comment

Working...
                              X