Backrow Project Player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backrow Project Player

Was chatting to one of the lads tonight and he maintains that Munster will let the new coach, whomever that is, to utilise the project player status for a backrow.

Given that we went for Ruddock, a big 6/8 I would imagine thats where we will go again.

Looking toward the Southern Hemisphere I can only think of a few that are available
    Nasi Manu, Josh Strauss, Keegan Daniel, Jack Lam.

Anyone else?
    Personally I would love to see us go for someone like Luke Braid.

Keegan Daniel is capped though.
    The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Originally posted by The Word Is Born View Post
      Keegan Daniel is capped though.
      Well there you go, learn something new everyday. Albeit at 1145, left my learning late today

Comment

The best big ball carriers available as 'projects' would be Nasi Manu, Josh Strauss and Duane Vermeulen.

Comment

Nasi Monu ....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRQW-pGMFJU

Josh Strauss - http://www.lionsrugby.co.za/index.ph...joshua-strauss

Duane Vermeulen - http://www.rugbydump.com/2010/10/165...es-lwazi-mvovo

I think JDV could have a word in Duane's ear but if Penny gets the job we might be seing Nasi .........be interesting to see if they would suit Northern Hem rugby.......remember Nick Williams???

Comment

Have only seen him play twice but this guy Jacques Poitgieter looks savage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAf7sdXQsK0
            \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

Comment

Nick Koster - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKXf79ijwJw

Comment

Really? A 6/8?! If there's one position I'd like to see us investigate, it is indeed the back row, but rather the other position therein...
                "The problem with quotes found on the internet is that they're not always accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Peter O Mahony has impressed at 8, but it will be hard for him to progress if he keeps ending up in a new position

Comment

Was thinking along similar lines myself - we've had Wally as a top-class no.7, but depressingly there are question marks over whether we'll see him play for us again. Of the others who have played there this season, Niall Ronan was coming into a fine vein of form before getting similarly injured himself, while Peter O'Mahoney and Tommy O'Donnell are clearly talented but still early in their development for the position. I'm not writing either of them off, but TOD is still a relatively junior squad member whose gametime this season was increased as a result of injury to three other players. POM is probably ahead of him for the 7 jersey, but I'm pretty sure he'd been earmarked as a replacement for Quinny at 6, and was moved across again because of injury to two other players. I believe he's early enough in his own development that he can become a top-class 7, but despite his undoubted qualities is still learning. If we were bringing in a project player for the back row, I'd be prioritising a hard-nosed openside to do for us there what Dougie has done for our wings - provide an anchor of experience that enables him to lead and teach by example.
                    Tis but a scratch.

Comment

The whole idea of a 'project player' is a complete oxymoron though isn't it?

We go looking for a youing-ish (U-23?) player who is very good, and shows lots of promise. BUT the player cannot already have an international allegiance, so is therefore NOT good enough to have been selected for his country's full Test side or their A team (however A is defined).

In fact, if they are even close to being good enough, you'd imagine they'd get 10 mins on the A side, therefore ruling them out of contention to move abroad.

On top of that, they would have to WANT to travel, and WANT to switch allegiance.

Our record wrt project players may be recent, but it's not great - Borlase? Sofar, awful. Richardt Strauss? Really? International standard? We'll see, but I have my doubts.

Finally, we have the mercenaries, like England's (cough, splutter!) Riki Flutey, who is about to join the Ricoh Black Rams in Japan.

Sorry if this is too far off-topic......
                      Trust is good; control is better. V I Lenin.

Comment

That a project player could hijack the position of someone like the next david wallace
                        (who was not always the top choice when he started off) is something
                        I find upsetting.

A lot of people were excited 18-20 months ago over this borlaise fella.
                        I cannot say how pleased I am to now see him going west, and that
                        young Kilcoyne has emerged in spite of him.

That people, limerick, cork people, proud munster people, should be getting
                        excited over buying some young polynesian lad's national allegiance is discouraging.
                        I really really really don't want to become the next rainbow national side
                        (like england).
                        Last edited by mtcmolloy; 26th-April-2012, 09:17.

Comment

Originally posted by mtcmolloy View Post
                          That a project player could hijack the position of someone like the next david wallace
                          (who was not always the top choice when he started off) is something
                          I find upsetting.

A lot of people were excited 18-20 months ago over this borlaise fella.
                          I cannot say how pleased I am to now see him going west, and that
                          young Kilcoyne has emerged in spite of him.

That people, limerick, cork people, proud munster people, should be getting
                          excited over buying some young polynesian lad's national allegiance is discouraging.
                          I really really really don't want to become the next rainbow national side
                          (like england).
                          Kilcoyne is a Loosehead
                          Borlase is a Tighthead

He was outstripped by Stephen Archer and John Ryan, but you point still stands.
                          I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Blindsider. View Post
                            The whole idea of a 'project player' is a complete oxymoron though isn't it?

We go looking for a youing-ish (U-23?) player who is very good, and shows lots of promise. BUT the player cannot already have an international allegiance, so is therefore NOT good enough to have been selected for his country's full Test side or their A team (however A is defined).

In fact, if they are even close to being good enough, you'd imagine they'd get 10 mins on the A side, therefore ruling them out of contention to move abroad.

On top of that, they would have to WANT to travel, and WANT to switch allegiance.

Our record wrt project players may be recent, but it's not great - Borlase? Sofar, awful. Richardt Strauss? Really? International standard? We'll see, but I have my doubts.

Finally, we have the mercenaries, like England's (cough, splutter!) Riki Flutey, who is about to join the Ricoh Black Rams in Japan.

Sorry if this is too far off-topic......
                            Very good point that. In a sense, the "project player" is going to have to be someone who's been overlooked. There's probably a greater likelihood of the whole scheme being a success if we were to look in Georgia, Italy, Russia etc rather than NZ/SA et al. My "ideal" openside signing above would be more likely to resemble Dougie in another key way, i.e. be an NIQ player.

I share the feeling of unease when it comes to bringing in outsiders and the message that sends to native players. Let's assume for a moment that Wally doesn't make it back (shudders). If Niall Ronan makes a full recovery I'd say we should put our faith in him to get back to the sort of form he was showing before Christmas - that would do me fine, and we could in fact end up with massive competition between himself and POM/TOD for the jersey. If he doesn't make it back, then we're back to needing a somewhat more grizzled player to "mentor" those two - and as Blindsider has pointed out, that "big" signing is more likely to be an NIQ than a project player.
                            Tis but a scratch.

Comment

We dont need a project backrow player, we need a world class one to compliment the young talent we have there. POM, TOD, PB, DOC and o hara all have buckets of talent and now is the time to give them game time along side seasoned pros. If we are signing a project player it should be a first centre type player that we can develope to overtake downey in a few years and help us out in a position that needs a 'project'.
                              I know some people would say well why not a prop? Simple answer is we cant develope props in munster the way things are set up at the moment and we should either look for an irish qualified guy playing abroad or try to tempt loughney or wilko from the west.

Comment

Working...
                              X