Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMC’s Liam Óg Murphy declares for USA

<DIV =Secti&#111;n1>
    @@@@SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-: EN-GB; mso-fareast-: EN-GB; mso-bidi-: AR-SA">TUE 20.03.07 ClarePeople

RUGBY@@@@/SPAN>
    @@@@SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-: EN-GB; mso-fareast-: EN-GB; mso-bidi-: AR-SA">Stars and stripes for Liam Óg
    Liam Óg Murphy will fly the flag for Ennis in the U19 Rugby World Cup next month, writes Ronan Judge.
    ON FRIDAY Liam Óg Murphy packed his bags and headed for New York. To the American military academy of Westpoint to be exact.
    There he met up with his teammates as America continue their preparations for the under 19 rugby World Cup with a friendly match against the college.
    Ennis man Liam will don the red white and blue for the World cup, which kicks of in Belfast on April 4.
    Although living in Ennis, Liam Óg was born in New Jersey thus enabling him to qualify. He opted to do so after missing out on selection for the Ireland under 19 team and for the chance to compete at the highest level.
    "I was fairly disappointed that I didn't get a trial with the Irish under 19 team, I felt I should have got one. Myself and a friend of mine looked it up on the internet and came across this American under 19 website," he says.
    "There was a certain piece on eligibility and it said if you're looking for trials to make contact. And the coach got back to me and asked me if I wanted trials. This was around November."
    Munster senior cup commitments with his school St Munchins meant Liam Óg didn't travel to America until February.
    Liam isn't the only Irish player on the panel. Austin Cella from Newbridge College in Kildare and Sean Treacy from Kings Hospital school, Dublin have also been included in the 26 man squad. The flanker made his test debut in the 24-17 loss against Canada.
    "It was a brilliant experience and we were very unfortunate to lose. It was really good experience. I wasn't used to the whole national anthem thing, I just put my hand on my heart. It was a really good experience and I'm glad I went over."
    Coach Salty Thompson's side will play three pool games starting on April 4 with a match against Russia. They then play top seeds Romania on April 8 and Zimbabwe on April 12.
    After helping Munchins to Senior cup success last year, Liam Óg is expecting a different kind of challenge in Belfast.

"The squad has a really good atmosphere. Its one of the best I have been a part of. Everyone gets along. Romania are the favorites. We're being told and I would be pretty confident that this is the best prepared USA team to go to a World Cup. Its good to have the confidence of all the coaches. The whole world cup thing is going to be a great experience. I was telling the lads at school its nearly one of those things you'd be dreaming about."
    When his American adventure ends, Liam Óg will link up with the Munster under 19 squad. The rules mean he is still eligible to play for Ireland in the future, but for now the focus is on the World Cup.

@@@@/SPAN>

@@@@SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 9.5pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; LETTER-SPACING: -0.05pt; mso-ansi-: EN-US">@@@@/SPAN>@@@@SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-: EN-GB; mso-fareast-: EN-GB; mso-bidi-: AR-SA"><BR style="mso-column-break-before: always; mso-special-character: line-break" clear=all>@@@@/SPAN></DIV>

Sean Treacy is John Treacy's ( double World Cross Country Champion) son.

Comment

Good luck to them, hope they benefit from the experience.

Comment

best of luck to the boys..hopefully it will stand them in good stead and we will see them in the green of ireland sometime in the future.

only question I have is why is he at school in SMC instead one of the ennis schools if he's living in ennis? [img]smileys/c&#111;nfused.gif[/img]
        Plato: \"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.\"

Comment

Cos its a rugby school
          The Source for this post is The Internet

Comment

Ennis schools aren't good enough? [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]
            Shameless self promotion time ladies and gents!
            Munster: Early Season
            Munster: Escape from Pool of Death
            Munster: HEC Champions 2007/2008
            Munster: Full Season Highlights.

Comment

oh I know they're not.. the convent in ennistymon (my alma mater) has the best academic ranking of co clare schools

I thought st flannans did the rugby thing as well.. though I know their main sport is hurling.
              Plato: \"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.\"

Comment

Ireland exporting rugby players! Watch out AB's!

Comment

Originally posted by lahinch_lass

I thought st flannans did the rugby thing as well.. though I know their main sport is hurling.
                  I think that's only a fairly recent thing LL

Comment

Fair play. Good to someone using own initiative and not lying down when greeted with disappointment.

Best of luck

Comment

best of luck to the boys..hopefully it will stand them in good stead and we will see them in the green of ireland sometime in the future.

only question I have is why is he at school in SMC instead one of the ennis schools if he's living in ennis? [img]smileys/c&#111;nfused.gif[/img]

more likely we'll be seeing them in the white and blue of america,playing against ireland.

also ive never heard of flannans playing rugby,massive hurling school though
                      g\'wan bruff!!

``The answer is not heavy- handed regulations that crush the entrepreneurial spirit and risk- taking of American capitalism. That\'s what\'s made our economy great.\"
                      -Barack Obama

\"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics\"
                      -thomas sowell

Comment

more likely we'll be seeing them in the white and blue of america,playing against ireland.

g\'wan bruff!!

``The answer is not heavy- handed regulations that crush the entrepreneurial spirit and risk- taking of American capitalism. That\'s what\'s made our economy great.\"
                        -Barack Obama

\"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics\"
                        -thomas sowell

Comment

Originally posted by bruffian

I think I did hear of Flannans setting up a team alright.

Good luck to the lads anyway. I can't blame them, the underage schools and youth selections badly needs to be sorted out. There is too much politics going on.

Comment

I left Flannans before they set up rugby,it took years for it to start.Hurling only, they are fairly handy at it for a GAA school.

I played with Liam ógs brothers with Ennis,he is a big lad and very committedand seems to be fairly chuffed bout it all.Was in New York for the Weekend with them
                            Shaqtastic...29 points

Comment

Working...
                            X