Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dropkick
    replied
    Nick Mallet would be my choice. Hes a big personality and wouldn't be afraid to step on a few toes and make the changes that need to be made. A quality backs coach is also needed.

Leave a comment:

• Piquet
    replied
    How about McLaughlin for Munster?

Leave a comment:

• Yatenga
    replied
    Originally posted by Ragusa View Post
    Do I get the distinct feeling that Alan Quinlan in his article in the Irish Times in a roundabout way is battling for Foley as Head Coach. Journalists and former Players write in metaphors. He is very sad for Mc Laughlin in Ulster because he is loosing out to a Foreign Coach etc etc ..... We need new Coaching Blood across the system and it is better now to bring in people completely devoid of connection to the team and players and our situation is different to Ulster. We will see but shows what canvassing goes on in Rugby circles !!!
    In fairness he said that if he was passed over for the likes of Kirwan, or Mallet that would be fair enough.
    His point was that McLaughlins pedigree was if anything better than the guy they are bringing in. If Ulster win the HEC it'll be a huge embarrassment for the blazers - how do they top that? (Even if they lose in the final). Quinnies entitled to his view, and its more valid than most. I prefer when guys come out and say who they want instead of speaking in riddles for fear of giving offense

Leave a comment:

• rathbaner
    replied
    Originally posted by busby View Post
    We had to fight like dogs to secure possession all season. We need a better physical balance in the backrow. Wally if he can recover well might just do it for us next season, and Beta looks like he should be the most powerful of the new crew with the game to go with it.
    I thought the back row we had at the MK v Saints was the best back row performance I'd seen since the game away to USAP. That was DRyan/Coughlin/POM.

Leave a comment:

• mr chips
    replied
    Originally posted by dedon View Post
    So that is what we get for criticising a player ? I have already said he is a great carrier of the ball but did not play well at the breakdown or at ruck time.

There is a lot more to a number 8 than having to carry a ball.

The fact is our backrow got total outplayed on Sunday and people still cannot admit it.

No wonder the team is the way it is.
    Yup, that post of mine was full of "not admitting it", alright. I'd give you a longer answer, only I might lose the will to live.

Leave a comment:

• Hugh Jardon
    replied
    Originally posted by Piquet View Post
    Did anyone else see John Ryan warming up before the game? What was that about? Was there a problem with Marcus or Archer?
    Both aren't any good?

Leave a comment:

• Piquet
    replied
    Did anyone else see John Ryan warming up before the game? What was that about? Was there a problem with Marcus or Archer?

Leave a comment:

• Hugh Jardon
    replied
    Munster Rugby have issued a statement.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Keep Calm.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	2469381

Leave a comment:

• dedon
    replied
    Originally posted by mr chips View Post
    Dedon, did James Coughlan steal your lunch money at school or what? Seems like about three-quarters of your posts on here in recent months single him out for particular criticism, even when - as on Sunday, and indeed on most occasions on which he plays - he was very far from being the worst performer in red. I don't think anyone here would try to claim he is the top No. 8 in Europe, nor that he's beyond fair criticism or in any way infallible. But he does the basics of his job pretty well, never fails to give less than his all and is not one of the players whose heads start to drop when things aren't going their way. If you really do want people to take your views more seriously (I have my doubts), a more balanced approach might help.

So that is what we get for criticising a player ? I have already said he is a great carrier of the ball but did not play well at the breakdown or at ruck time.

There is a lot more to a number 8 than having to carry a ball.

The fact is our backrow got total outplayed on Sunday and people still cannot admit it.

No wonder the team is the way it is.

Leave a comment:

• mr chips
    replied
    Yup, think that's probably fair comment. I thought TOD looked to be a lot bulkier than before when I saw him playing against the Westies, but he probably has potential to get a bit bigger without the risk of overloading his frame a la Fla/BOD. Ditto POM, excellent player with a great attitude, but still needs a few extra kilos of beefing up to be at the races in terms of competing with your international standard back-rower. DOC2 has massive potential there too - he could become an icon of the backrow for us if his development and coaching are managed properly. Coughlan, at the age he is now, is pretty much as big and strong as he's gonna get - however IMO he still stood out on Sunday as one of our better ball-carriers. Interestingly, before he got injured I thought Ronan had put on a fair bit of bulk through the season. It'd be great if he can return to the level he was playing at up to then - he'd really started to grow into the role, literally and figuratively!

Leave a comment:

• busby
    replied
    Massive fan of Coughlan, but we'll need a 6/7 to make up for his lack power.

I think it's fair to say Coughlan wasn't, and hasn't ever been, a monster at the breakdown. That's why i was so against the Ronan, POM, Coughlan backrow all year, i just felt the lack of physicality was going to catch us, and did often enough. We had to fight like dogs to secure possession all season. We need a better physical balance in the backrow. Wally if he can recover well might just do it for us next season, and Beta looks like he should be the most powerful of the new crew with the game to go with it.

Leave a comment:

• rathbaner
    replied
    Originally posted by Ragusa View Post
    Do I get the distinct feeling that Alan Quinlan in his article in the Irish Times in a roundabout way is battling for Foley as Head Coach.!
    Fla has has said as much, on RTE, I think it was. The bit I remember was that Foley was as ready as he would ever be. What will he be doing between now and two years time that's going to make him so much better that he couldn't be doing at Munster?
    If they bring in an outsider and he does briliiant then why would you sack him, if you bring in an outsider and he's rubbish then why didn't you give it to Axel in the first place.

I have felt that, seeing as the job will be Axel's one day, what's the hurry. Get in some fresh ideas now a let Axel learn something. And what if he got it and it went pear shaped on him? Where would he go then?
    But after Sunday's defeat, Fla's words came back to me. Foley is here and now, and he is our best connection with the Munster Decade. Give him the contract and let him have a crack.

Leave a comment:

• Upfront_1979
    replied
    I think Rory Best and James Coughlan 4balled his girlfriend.

Leave a comment:

• mr chips
    replied
    Dedon, did James Coughlan steal your lunch money at school or what? Seems like about three-quarters of your posts on here in recent months single him out for particular criticism, even when - as on Sunday, and indeed on most occasions on which he plays - he was very far from being the worst performer in red. I don't think anyone here would try to claim he is the top No. 8 in Europe, nor that he's beyond fair criticism or in any way infallible. But he does the basics of his job pretty well, never fails to give less than his all and is not one of the players whose heads start to drop when things aren't going their way. If you really do want people to take your views more seriously (I have my doubts), a more balanced approach might help.

Leave a comment:

• bongyhead
    replied
    Originally posted by dedon View Post
    I was at the game.
    Well I suppose that's some improvement. Well done.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X