Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carney, Fogarty & Ryan Added To Squad

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/19_3283.php

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 summary="Layout table" ="std_newsartd"><T>
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD ="line">Carney, Fogarty &amp; Ryan Added To Munster Squad</TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD ="date">15 March 2007, 9:40 pm</TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD ="author">By Pat Geraghty</TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD ="multimedia">
    </TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD ="abstract">The three players Munster will be adding to their squad ahead of the knockout stages of the Heineken Cup include current squad members Denis Fogarty and Donncha Ryan and former Great Britain Rugby League star Brian Carney.</TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD ="article">Fogarty was not named in the original Munster Heineken Cup squad because he was recovering from injury but returned to competitive action as a replacement in the recent Magners League game versus Cardiff Blues while Development contracted Ryan has already won seven caps this season.

Carney has been linked with Munster in the past and today committed to the side not on a two year contract.

Commenting on his move, the Cork born, Clongowes Wood College educated, “ It’s really a tremendous honour to be signed up by a club like Munster. My first objective is to get into that Munster side and become a player that the players want in the team.

"To do that I know I have a lot of hard ahead of me. But, I’m prepared to knuckle down and see how things progress.

"Knowing the history of the club it is a huge honour, it really is, definitely the recent history has been tremendous.I hope I can become a part of a winning successful side here and yes I am thrilled to be involved with a side like Munster and I’m looking forward to it all."

Munster coach Declan Kidney said, “Given the injury situation in relation to Shaun Payne, Mossie Lawlor and Anthony Horgan, I think it’s particularly opportune to acquire someone of Brian's stature and experience for the end of season matches in Magners League and Heineken Cup.”</TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>

Great news

Comment

Munster con Carney

Just how hot is this?

Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

Tremendous hope - good lift given injuries - hope he can still run !

Comment

Give this guy time-he is class and will be a huge asset coming in off the wing.

Comment

Well done the IRFU. Great move

Comment

Originally posted by Drick
              http://www.munsterrugby.ie/19_3283.php

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 summary="Layout table" ="std_newsartd"><T><T>
              <T>
              <TR>
              <TD ="line">Carney, Fogarty &amp; Ryan Added To Munster Squad</TD></TR>
              <TR>
              <TD ="date">15 March 2007, 9:40 pm</TD></TR>
              <TR>
              <TD ="author">By Pat Geraghty</TD></TR>
              <TR>
              <TD ="multimedia">
              </TD></TR>
              <TR>
              <TD ="abstract">The three players Munster will be adding to their squad ahead of the knockout stages of the Heineken Cup include current squad members Denis Fogarty and Donncha Ryan and former Great Britain Rugby League star Brian Carney.</TD></TR>
              <TR>
              <TD ="article">Fogarty was not named in the original Munster Heineken Cup squad because he was recovering from injury but returned to competitive action as a replacement in the recent Magners League game versus Cardiff Blues while Development contracted Ryan has already won seven caps this season.

Carney has been linked with Munster in the past and today committed to the side not on a two year contract.

Commenting on his move, the Cork born, Clongowes Wood College educated, “ It’s really a tremendous honour to be signed up by a club like Munster. My first objective is to get into that Munster side and become a player that the players want in the team.

"To do that I know I have a lot of hard ahead of me. But, I’m prepared to knuckle down and see how things progress.

"Knowing the history of the club it is a huge honour, it really is, definitely the recent history has been tremendous.I hope I can become a part of a winning successful side here and yes I am thrilled to be involved with a side like Munster and I’m looking forward to it all."

Munster coach Declan Kidney said, “Given the injury situation in relation to Shaun Payne, Mossie Lawlor and Anthony Horgan, I think it’s particularly opportune to acquire someone of Brian's stature and experience for the end of season matches in Magners League and Heineken Cup.”</TD></TR></T></T></T></TABLE>

Adolfwas so excited he obviously didn`t proof read his work

Comment

I thin yu nid piggin now, spttin hares like, ya oul bllix
                Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

Finally some good news, Welcome to Munster Brian[img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

excellent news about time for some good news for us onwards and
                    upwards from here hopefully welcome brian

Comment

Woohoo![img]smileys/thumb-up.gif[/img]

p.s. Gwan Donnacha (on behalf of SRG) [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Rugby League star Carney joins Munster

Former Great Britain rugby league winger Brian Carney switched
                        codes tonight by signing a two-year contract with European rugby
                        union champions Munster.

The 30-year-old former Wigan favourite returned to his native Cork
                        to resurrect his career after announcing his retirement two months
                        ago.

Munster confirmed his capture after arranging a compensation deal
                        with Australian rugby league club Gold Coast, with whom Carney had
                        agreed a two-year deal, and was immediately added to their squad
                        for the knockout stages of the Heineken Cup.

“It’s really a tremendous honour to be signed up by a club like
                        Munster,” Carney told the club’s website www.munsterrugby.ie.

“My first objective is to get into that Munster side and become a
                        player that the players want in the team.

“To do that I know I have a lot of hard ahead of me. But I’m
                        prepared to knuckle down and see how things progress.

“Knowing the history of the club, it is a huge honour and I hope I can
                        become a part of a winning successful side.”

The autumn World Cup is an obvious incentive for Carney, who is
                        expected to be fast-tracked onto Ireland’s summer tour to Argentina
                        but has precious little time to adapt to a game he last played
                        regularly at the same school as centre Gordon D’Arcy.

Munster coach Declan Kidney said: “Given the injury situation in
                        relation to Shaun Payne, Mossie Lawlor and Anthony Horgan, I think
                        it’s particularly opportune to acquire someone of Brian’s stature and
                        experience for the end-of-season matches in Magners League and
                        Heineken Cup.”

The one-time Gaelic footballer was spotted playing rugby league for
                        a Dublin students team by Gateshead in 1999 and went on to play for
                        Hull and Wigan before moving to Australian club Newcastle Knights
                        last season.

He played for Ireland in the 2000 World Cup and won the last of his
                        14 Great Britain caps in their 23-12 win over Australia in Sydney in
                        November.

Comment

not to happy about this part,

"The autumn World Cup is an obvious incentive for Carney,
                          who is expected to be fast-tracked onto Ireland's summer tour to
                          Argentina, having last played rugby union when he was at school."

you can't really force this and i don't see why a settled irish side thats playing well should have someone forced on them, if he gets it on merit then fair enough, but i don't want an andy farrell situation.

he will be a great signing for munster and can't wait to see him play, will he be available for next weekends ML game?
                          </font>

Comment

Good on ya Brian....

Great to see DK and MB finally gettin the fingers out and getting some quality signings for next year....

ML is becoming a league to beat the premiership on entertainment.. We need guys like Carney, Lewis and Warwick to inject some pace and skill into the backs for next season....

Best of luck to Donnacha and Denis....

Total rugby............ Go'On Munster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Liam2me
                              not to happy about this part,

"The autumn World Cup is an obvious incentive for Carney, who is expected to be fast-tracked onto Ireland's summer tour to Argentina, having last played rugby union when he was at school."

you can't really force this and i don't see why a settled irish side thats playing well should have someone forced on them, if he gets it on merit then fair enough, but i don't want an andy farrell situation.

he will be a great signing for munster and can't wait to see him play, will he be available for next weekends ML game?

The Irish backline despite the hype dont score enough tries with only Hickie and BOD being natural finishers. Darcy for example as only 3 tries in 30 odd games for Ireland. I'd say Shane Horgan is a worried man.

My computer thinks I'm gay
                              What's the difference anyway
                              When all the people do all day
                              Is stare into a phone

Comment

Working...
                              X