• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Global Competition

From Rugby eNews newsletter

Hot Topic

NEW GLOBAL COMPETITION
    The idea of a world provincial championship will be discussed when the IRB meet in Auckland, New Zealand early next week.

The plan proposes to have the top sides from the Super 14 and its European equivalent, the Heineken Cup, meet every three years in the November test window.

The competition will potentially feature some exciting clashes between the top club sides in international rugby but could be difficult to fit in to what is already a bulging rugby season for top level players.

Rugby league's equivalent, the World Club Challenge, takes place annually and sees the top Australian NRL club travel to the United Kingdom to play the English Super League champions.

about as likely as the Rainbow Cup IMO
    \'For he that hath no stomach for this fight, let him depart\'.
    Henry V - Battle of Agincourt 1415

Comment

Is minic a bhris béal duine a shróin

Comment

Originally posted by thisyear?

Big difference is that IRB are the ones talking about it. That said, where are the dates going to come from ?

Comment

As a spectator and rugby enthusiast, I find this very attractive (pelizeee don't call it the Rainbow Cup!!!)!

BUT as writen in this short news and given the current Heineken Cup situation, I can't see the French and English clubs buying that.

Furthermore... the November test window??? I am afraid the national selections won't enjoy that either.

Other obvious issue: every three years??? Strange idea as the World Cup and Lion Tour are every fours years, sooner or later it will clash with either one of them on what would be an impossible season to organise for players, clubs and national selections.

I'd really like to see that happen but the IRB will have to come up with a very intelligent and well thought proposal, good luck to them...

Comment

<DIV =date>01/03/2007</DIV>
            <DIV =author>Duncan Johnstone</DIV>The possibility of a world provincial championship is to be discussed by the International Rugby Board at their executive meeting in Auckland next week.

Trying to eliminate the "second class" tours by leading countries in both the June and November test windows will also be on the agenda with the IRB wanting to try to ensure first choice teams visit both ways.

But the prospect of the leading Super 14 teams taking on their Heineken Cup counterparts from Europe is a tantalising topic.

Would the Crusaders monster Munster? Would the Blues blitz Biarritz? Would the Waratahs whip Wasps? Could the Lions lick Leicester?

But how the IRB fit everything into an already congested calendar is the bigger question.

One suggeston has been staging a world provincial championship every three years in the November window normally allocated to the tours of the northern hemisphere by Australia, New Zealand and South Africa is certainly worthy of discussion.

Getting the Super 14 teams up to speed at that time of year would be a major obstacle given that Sanzar's premier provincial tournament is played from February to May. New Zealand players would be coming off the Air New Zealand Cup with their home unions later in the year and the South African players would be fresh out of the Currie Cup.

These are the sort of problems facing the IRB.

"I'm sure Sanzar would have to have a look at the proposal but we have an open mind on the concept," Sanzar chief executive and Australian CEO Gary Flowers told The Australian newspaper.

The Australians are also keen to see rugby adopt a points system that would work as a rankings platform for the World Cup. It would be similar to what cricket has and they believe that would go some way to ensuring top test teams were fielded in June and November.

There is clearly concern at the erosion of the test game outside of major tournaments like the Tri Nations, Six Nations and World Cup.

"Our primary position is that we believe test matches have to be maintained as the supreme product," Flowers said.

"There was a trend developing with the inbound tests for countries to rest players and not bring in their top squads.

"The Rugby World Cup is having such an impact on the game that test matches are being affected and that can't be allowed to continue. Making tests a means of determining the World Cup seedings is our proposal for restoring their importance and ensuring all countries treat them with respect."

The IRB will also be updating themselves on New Zealand's 2011 World Cup progress while they are in Auckland with special interest on the latest proposals for the Eden Park revamp.

The possibility of Argentina joining Sanzar's Tri Nations and Super 14 competitions could also be discussed
            Always

Comment

Originally posted by Point

Big difference is that IRB are the ones talking about it. That said, where are the dates going to come from ?

AI's are now a big cash cow...can't see another competition taking place during that window...
              \'For he that hath no stomach for this fight, let him depart\'.
              Henry V - Battle of Agincourt 1415

Comment

Originally posted by Point

AI's are now a big cash cow...can't see another competition taking place during that window...
                Unless of course it has the potential to become an even bigger cash cow in itself...
                Is minic a bhris béal duine a shróin

Comment

If theyre intending to forgo the AI's once every 3 years for this competition then it could work. It certainly wouldnt have the same amount of interest without all the clubs being able to put first teams out

Comment

good idea but we can't get the clubs and unions to agree on the HEC at the moment let alone the above. If it was to happen the clubs would demand a large chunk of the cash which the unions might not agree to. unless Sky were to pump a fupp load in to keep everyone happy

i think they are playing too many tests these days anyway, there isn't much of a rarety or special occasion to playing any of the teams anymore. If it could be agreed and was financially viable i would nearly push for alternating years where one year the northern countries go south in summer and the clubs go north in autumn and vice versa the following year. we would however need an 80k rugby stadium to cash in on the test games in the alternating years
                    "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry-Exile
                      If theyre intending to forgo the AI's once every 3 years for this competition then it could work. It certainly wouldnt have the same amount of interest without all the clubs being able to put first teams out
                      As I said in my previous post, I can't see how every three years could work...

It will clash sooner or later with the World Cup which is every 4 years. Can we really have both competitions in the same year? WIll national selections accept to sit on the Automn tests on a WC year???

The only solution I see is to slot it in every 4 years on the year after the World Cup.
                      2007 &gt; WC
                      2008 &gt; International club comp
                      2009 &gt; Lions
                      2010 &gt; ...
                      2011&gt; WC
                      2012 &gt; International club comp
                      &gt; etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X