Simon Zebo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Finnegan79 View Post

Was. Last season was marred by injuries to be fair, but he'll be over 30, not exactly known for keeping himself in top physical condition and Racing are actively seeking a replacement. They wouldn't be doing that if they thought he could be of great help to them in the next few seasons.
    I think Racing are interested in people at the top of their game- and for you me reason or another Simon isn’t - when he can get back to being so is hard to say, absence of injury and a run of games will determine that. I hope he doesn’t just fade out- far too good a player for that.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

I think Racing are interested in people at the top of their game- and for you me reason or another Simon isn’t - when he can get back to being so is hard to say, absence of injury and a run of games will determine that. I hope he doesn’t just fade out- far too good a player for that.
      If Munster were short on guys at 15, I'd say go for it, why not. The fact is that they have three guys 26 and under who can man the position and who also probably won't be away with Ireland for massive amounts of time. They'
      ll all get plenty of game time to show what they each can do. I don't think top end Zebo at 31 is going to be markedly better than any of the other three over the course of a season so for me, there is no real benefit to bringing him in.
      Last edited by Finnegan79; 15-September-2020, 00:15.

Comment

Zebo has definitely slapped on a few Kilos in Paris. But he still has the X factor. If Munster could get him trimmed down and fully fit, it would be a great move. So what if he would be 31. He still has potentially 3 good years left in him. Compare Jonny Sexton, for example. If things had just been slightly different with Joe Schmidt etc. Simon might well have been Ireland's starting FB for the past 3-4 seasons. I still think his move to France was a criminal waste of Irish rugby talent. Fair play to him, he's done pretty well there.
        Erse end of nowhere

Comment

No thanks. Need to focus on the future and not on sentimentality. Can't see what he can offer at his current age and physical condition that would be better than what we already have in the squad.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffy View Post
            Zebo has definitely slapped on a few Kilos in Paris. But he still has the X factor. If Munster could get him trimmed down and fully fit, it would be a great move. So what if he would be 31. He still has potentially 3 good years left in him. Compare Jonny Sexton, for example. If things had just been slightly different with Joe Schmidt etc. Simon might well have been Ireland's starting FB for the past 3-4 seasons. I still think his move to France was a criminal waste of Irish rugby talent. Fair play to him, he's done pretty well there.
            I agree completely with this, and while he has unique star quality and I hope that won’t be lost to rugby, I think the Munster boat has sailed.

Comment

Yeah, same here - I was very sorry to see him go, but that was his decision, arising out of a long-held wish to live and play rugby in France. There would be several barriers to him coming back here now - first & foremost by far, he just doesn't seem to be interested in doing so. Second, even if he was interested, in terms of injury he's spent a large chunk of time recently not fit and that would have to be demonstrably a non-issue prior to any contract being signed. Third, in terms of playing form, at 31 he hasn't displayed the same sort of razor-sharpness that has kept Keith Earls so competitive at the age of 33. Fourth, we have Shane Daly to bring through, along with Haley and Gallagher in the senior squad, not to mention another excellent, if perennially underutilised, full-back option in Andrew Conway. Sweetnam occasionally deputises at 15 too, Alex Wootton is away on a loan deal, and looks likely to follow in the footsteps of Stephen Fitzgerald prior to that, not to mention Sammy Arnold who also filled in there on a few occasions. This is the last area of our squad that needs bolstering.
              I have nothing but affection for Zebo and wish he hadn't made the move when he did, but notions of him coming back here are wishful thinking now.
              Tis but a scratch.

Comment

He'll find another club in France if Racing don´t want him....
                He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Finnegan79 View Post

If Munster were short on guys at 15, I'd say go for it, why not. The fact is that they have three guys 26 and under who can man the position and who also probably won't be away with Ireland for massive amounts of time. They'
                  ll all get plenty of game time to show what they each can do. I don't think top end Zebo at 31 is going to be markedly better than any of the other three over the course of a season so for me, there is no real benefit to bringing him in.
                  Exactly my thoughts on it. Last thing we need is a highly paid back 3 player who'll barely get his hands on the ball. He's not in the Earls style of professionalism, so I don't think he has much left in the tank. Give me a marquee Hooker or a "been there, done that" leader, I think that's what we're really missing. None of the leadership in Munster has won anything at club level.

Comment

Ah jaysus lads we wouldnt cross the tryline in a pee wee game and have the injury luck of a WW1 battalion.

The more bodies to throw at the cause the better, wait and see one of the established back three crock himself by halloween
                    I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                      Ah jaysus lads we wouldnt cross the tryline in a pee wee game and have the injury luck of a WW1 battalion.

The more bodies to throw at the cause the better, wait and see one of the established back three crock himself by halloween
                      I'm all for throwing more bodies at the cause, I just would prefer better bodies than an ageing, unfit, injury ridden Simon Zebo..

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffy View Post
                        Sexton barely plays for Leinster and has to be carefully managed game to game for Ireland. He plays some HC games, some derbies, and most of the knockout games. That's about it. If Leinster had insisted on running him out there week on week he'd have retired by now due to constant injuries. If Munster brought Zebo back for that type of arrangement, what is the point ? I'd rather develop the younger guys on the team than get 12-15 games of Zebo. The money spent on him could be better spent elsewhere.

Comment

The elephant in the room with all this reasoning re the fitness etc of Zebo is none of our current FBs have that x factor + Zebo is one of the best under the high ball. He's hard to stop too so gets you over the gain line. These are elements hard to find
                          Last edited by tippete7trees; 15-September-2020, 16:11.
                          Stand up for the Ulcer men

Comment

Originally posted by tippete7trees View Post
                            The elephant in the room with all this reasoning re the fitness etc of Zebo is none of our current FBs have that x factor + Zebo is one of the best under the high ball. He's hard to stop too so gets you over the gain line. These are elements hard to find
                            Can turn up at first receiver and had some amazing passes in his skillet.

Nobody saying he walking into the HEC side but him coaxing the kids through a bad night in swansea has its value. He's seen and done a lot.

Just because he piled on the pounds in france doesn't make him any different to every other player in france.
                            I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                              Can turn up at first receiver and had some amazing passes in his skillet.

Nobody saying he walking into the HEC side but him coaxing the kids through a bad night in swansea has its value. He's seen and done a lot.

Just because he piled on the pounds in france doesn't make him any different to every other player in france.
                              If he's lost conditioning to the level written here, then nobody's going to be paying big money for him, he'd love to come back to ye olde Munstere
                              so some reasonable deal should be possible. My instinct is he'll he back.
                              Stand up for the Ulcer men

Comment

Originally posted by tippete7trees View Post

If he's lost conditioning to the level written here, then nobody's going to be paying big money for him, he'd love to come back to ye olde Munstere
                                so some reasonable deal should be possible. My instinct is he'll he back.
                                And from the terraces his name shall rain down

I am the million man.

Comment

Working...
                                X