Simon Zebo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

Bit of a straw man that you, and others, have constructed around whether or not Zeebs is international class and/or would improve Ireland. Pretty much everybody agrees that he is (although not necessarily “top class”) and that he would.

What some of us don’t agree is that he should be picked (or that he should get sympathy for not getting picked) following his decision to leave.
    Agree completely that ‘he is’ and ‘he would’- I only got back into this frustrating thread because some were asserting that ‘he wasnt’.

Despite this, I’m also completely with you about ‘he shouldnt’ play for Ireland again while based abroad. He decided to go knowing he was giving up on his chances with Ireland. What those chances were with joe in charge we can only guess, or whether given the current slump whether those chances would have increased. What we know though, I think, is that a player with Zebos talents would do far better in a side that had a different approach and to the game than Joe’s. I would never swap such a successful coach for such an exciting player.

Comment

Originally posted by wellboy View Post

Give it a rest man, nobody is "slating" anyone. This is a rugby forum and im posting in a thread about Zebo, discussing Zebo and respectfully dicsussing his merits as a top international as some are claiming.

I would post more with more insights into the team and whats going on from the inside (i can tell you all about the time Joe called Zebo fat to his face) except posts like yours are discouraging to be honest, you wonder why the forum is dying?
      Irony much?
      If you want to post insights into the team, feel free. It would genuinely be welcome, and a change from the way you keep jumping on posts from those who have the temerity to say they'd still prefer to see Zebo in red and in green. You say you're only trying to add a little balance, after claiming that the guy with more tries for Munster than any other player has "no real try scoring record". Have you checked the incumbent Irish fullback's try scoring record recently, for both club and country? So yes, my post was absolutely intended to discourage comments like that and the second one I highlighted above.

For what it's worth, now that Zebo is abroad I actually agree that he shouldn't be in contention for the Irish team, as I support the policy of encouraging our players to ply their trade at home - by and large, it keeps the national side and the provincial sides stronger than they would otherwise be. However, it's hardly unreasonable or unexpected that people will see the sort of performances he's delivering for Racing, compare it to the turgid death of attacking rugby embodied by the man Schmidt continues to pick at fullback, and express regret for the fact that not enough was done to keep a clearly superior 15 in the side - neither by expanding the gameplan to include his talents nor by the manner in which he was treated by the coach.

It's also reasonable to call out double standards and poor man management. For an example of the former, see Sexton. Unlike Zebo, his place on the Irish team was guaranteed and a strong offer was put to him which came close to what he had on the table from Racing. He chose to leave anyway, but was still picked for Ireland. Nobody else has been indulged like this. For an example of the latter, I refer you back again to the second part of your post highlighted in bold. None of your posts slating Zebo's character, nitpicking about whether he's good but not that good as a player etc will change the fact that part of his motivation for leaving was down to Joe's failings as a man-manager.

None of this is news and all of it has been said before, and frankly I'd have preferred to keep it to the one line I posted previously. But if you want to persist with your narrative that Zebo brought it all on himself and isn't that good anyway, you can expect to keep getting it thrown back at you.
      Tis but a scratch.

Comment

On Zebo my simple point is he offers so much more than what we have at 15 that coming up to RWC we should be looking for ways to have him available for that tournament. After that...……...
        Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined. &nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

There are so many opinions being expressed on this thread I think it's in danger of being censored.

Comment

Rob and Joe have been holding back their moves, Rob is going to unleash a barrage of tries on the world come Autumn.
            \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

Comment

Zebo: Try(s) Weekly

Super-Rob: Tries weakly
              "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

People would be better off questioning Conway's non-selection rather than Zebo's. I know I must sound like a broken record but Conway is the best all round back three player in the country. It amazes me that he hasn't been given more options to prove himself.

Comment

Yup, can't argue with that.
                  Tis but a scratch.

Comment

From De Paper:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/...-40048415.html

Zebo's Racing 92 future up in the air as Parisiens eye Puma star Boffelli

Top 14 rich listers Racing 92 are stepping up their interest in bringing Argentinian fullback Emiliano Boffelli to La Defense Arena as a possible replacement for Simon Zebo, French reports say.

Whispers have surrounded the future of the Ireland international, in the final year of his contract at the Paris club, for some time.

It was reported in March that he was ready to exercise the one-year extension clause in his contract. Those claims now appear premature. There were also brief rumours of a possible American adventure when his current deal runs out at the end of June 2021.

He has yet to feature in the Top 14 this season as he recovers from a foot injury. Asked if he was looking for a possible return to Munster, he told BT Sports' Craig Doyle earlier this month that he was 'very, very happy' in Paris.

"I love playing with Racing 92," he said. "We've got some great players who are playing at the top of their game, so it's a very exciting team to be a part of at the moment.

But the 30-year-old appears in no immediate rush to put pen to paper on a new deal. "I'm just going to try and focus on getting healthy and getting back on to the pitch and let the rugby take care of itself for the first half of the season and we'll see what happens after that."

French rugby newspaper Midi Olympique reported on Monday that Racing are working to tempt 25-year-old Boffelli, capped 28 times by Argentina, to the Hauts-de-Seine suburbs.

If true, it would mark the latest phase in a long-standing bid to sign the talented fullback who was named World Rugby's Breakthrough Player of the Year in 2017.

The only question when the latest round of speculation started was whether Boffelli was a luxury the club needed or could afford. It would appear that question should now be turned on its head.

The club has already proved its willingness to make the difficult decisions to jettison popular players. Former France full-back Brice Dulin was allowed to join La Rochelle at the end of last season as Kurtley Beale was brought in.

Beale, who joined on a two-year deal this summer, offers cover 15 - as does club stalwart Juan Imhoff, under contract until 2022, and young French prospects Donovan Taofifenua and Max Spring.

As salary cap regulations tighten further in the Top 14, and the premium on 'Made in France' players mounts, it now seems that club bosses may regard Zebo as the luxury they can live without, especially if they can attract the younger Puma on a smaller salary.

Much will likely depend on the former Munster player's performances when he returns to Top 14 action. That may be sooner rather than later, if he's fit, after Beale - the Top 14's big signing of the new campaign - was sent off for a high tackle in Friday night's home match against Montpellier.

Zebo and Scotland's Finn Russell quickly became cult heroes at Racing, bringing Celtic flair to an already strong side wondering how it would cope with the loss of Dan Carter.

In his first season at the Ciel et Bleu, Zebo made 26 starts and scored 16 tries in all competitions, while Russell quickly made the 10 shirt his own. But while the Scot's form continued, prompting the club to offer him a lucrative contract extension, Zebo's second season qualified for the 'difficult' epithet.

Plagued by injuries, he made just six starts in total and failed to cross the try line in the Top 14.
                    "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Get him home. A magician and missed around here
                      I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                        Get him home. A magician and missed around here
                        Nah, I'd rather they stuck with the three guys they currently have on the roster.

Comment

Shur he'd be great for chasing endless boxkicks, a bit like Bryan Habana's career at the springboks.
                          When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

Leinster have about 4 backrow combinations at the moment, I dont really agree with the notion having too many good players is a bad thing.

He didnt get to Racing for being a sound lad, hes a top player and we would be glad to have his creativity back imo
                            I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Finnegan79 View Post

Nah, I'd rather they stuck with the three guys they currently have on the roster.
                              he could do a job at tight head maybe judging by the last pic i saw of him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                                Leinster have about 4 backrow combinations at the moment, I dont really agree with the notion having too many good players is a bad thing.

He didnt get to Racing for being a sound lad, hes a top player and we would be glad to have his creativity back imo
                                Was. Last season was marred by injuries to be fair, but he'll be over 30, not exactly known for keeping himself in top physical condition and Racing are actively seeking a replacement. They wouldn't be doing that if they thought he could be of great help to them in the next few seasons.

Comment

Working...
                                X