Simon Zebo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simon Zebo

What are peoples opinions on this lad. Will he make it? Does he need a move to get a game. Could he make the breakthrough this year? Or does the fact that many people in Ireland seem to think just cos he is black, and a winger......he must be lethal....actually work against him and give people unrealistic expectations?More innocentignorance than innocent racism really to be fair.

Is the A team as far as he will go with us?

Why don't you give your own opinion or starters.

Comment

Well ok, to be honest, Having seen a bit of him in action, both in green and red, I dont think the lad will make a serious international class winger or centre. He will be more of a Denis Hurley than a Denis Hickie. I hope I am wrong, I really do but he doesnt seem to have that magic step or kick on that the really top class wingers have. Will he be a regular Munster back for years to come....no

Could be make it as a decent Connacht/Premiership mid table club winger, yes.

Comment

Hmm straight into the Con team from school, iirc, seemed to
        play in most u20's matches for Ireland this season, and pretty
        much straight into the Munster A squad, while getting ML
        gametime as an u20 (something we rarely do). Seems he's
        rated by everyone who's coached him, not sure I'd be willing
        to call them all racist, so they must be basing their opinion on
        something else.
        It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

It's very hard to say whether a player will make it big time until you've seen him playing at a top level but it's so far so good as far as I've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyFantastic
            something else.

Not what I meant Joey and I think you knwo that too. That was silly my friend.

What I meant was, there is a perception out there with the less informed but interested that basically "this lad sebo, he is a black winger, a youngfella, i'd say he is lethal quick.....sure arent they all quick"

You know what i meant Joey

Comment

rated by everyone who's coached him, <S&#079;NG>not sure I'd be willing
              to call them all racist</S&#079;NG>, so they must be basing their opinion on
              something else.

What has racism got to do with it?

Comment

Originally posted by Jackdaniels

Hmm
                straight into the Con team from school, iirc, seemed to play
                in most u20's matches for Ireland this season, and pretty
                rated by everyone who's coached him, not sure I'd be
                willing to call them all racist, so they must be basing their
                opinion on something else.

Not what I meant Joey and I think you knwo that too.
                That was silly my friend.

What I meant was, there is a perception out there with
                the less informed but interested that basically "this lad
                sebo, he is a black winger, a youngfella, i'd say he is lethal
                quick.....sure arent they all quick"

I did know what you meant, but the people giving him
                games aren't the less informed, they get to see him every
                day. Afaik, his father was a sprinter for France and his
                sister is a sprinter for Ireland too. People don't think he's
                fast because he's black, people think he's fast because he's
                fast.
                It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

Originally posted by Jackdaniels

something else.

Not what I meant Joey and I think you knwo that too. That was silly my friend.

What I meant was, there is a perception out there with the less informed but interested that basically "this lad sebo, he is a black winger, a youngfella, i'd say he is lethal quick.....sure arent they all quick"

so far you are the only one who seems a little racist

Comment

I don't care whether or not the guy is black, blue pink, or green. He's a young lad trying to make a career in an unforgiving profession.

The best of luck to him.

My observation is that he's not the best passer in the world. I base my oppinion on him as I've seen him play fa few times for Con, Ireland U20, and in a pre-season Munster match.

Give him a bit of coaching, build up his confidence and who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by CarrigMan

My observation is that he's not the best passer in the
                      world.* I base my oppinion on him as I've seen him play fa
                      few times for Con, Ireland U20, and in a pre-season Munster
                      match.

It's odd he has started at 12 for Con in this year's AIL, afaik, I
                      agree that skills-wise he has a long way to go.

Comment

For the love of god, why are people constantly bringing this guy up only
                        to knock him saying he's overrated? If he was a pasty ginger with the
                        exact same attributes people would probably be calling for him to be
                        drafted in this weekend.

He seems to be doing very well for himself. Not many Munster backs
                        are getting into Ireland back lines at any level these days. Hopefully
                        he'll continue to develop to be a first team winger in time.

Comment

Originally posted by Canterbury

rated by everyone who's coached him, <S&#079;NG>not sure I'd be willing
                          to call them all racist</S&#079;NG>, so they must be basing their opinion on
                          something else.

What has racism got to do with it?

Not really racism per se, more like positive racism. People started claiming he was the fastest U20 most likely because hes a wing and black when really it turns out that Conway, Griffin and O'Halloran were all faster than him. Personally I thought Darren Hudson completely outperformed him on the wing in rwc yet there was little to no hype about him. I don't know whether people meant to or not but Zebo definitely received extra attention because he was black (he was nowhere near a stand out in any of the U20 games). Colour really shouldn't come into it but I suppose at least it was positive racism.

Anyway, I don't think he'll become an international from watching him play but thats just my opinion and lots can change over a long time. Personally I think the likes of O'Mahony, Barnes and Deasy are better to be honest.

Comment

Theres only 2 wingers in the academy AFAIK. Munster have
                            been very poor bring through backs considering all the backs
                            Leinster have.

Comment

I thought Denis Hickie was a fairly decent winger ,always room for a player who has out and out pace

Comment

Working...
                              X