Conor Murray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conor Murray

When did Conor Murray last make a break from a ruck/scrum?

Discuss
    Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Last weekend I think. Should he make them when the opposition flankers are barely pushing and can swallow him up immediately off the side of the scrum? Would that be intelligent “heads up” rugby?

Comment

Originally posted by Sulla View Post
      When did Conor Murray last make a break from a ruck/scrum?

Discuss
      Never mind the breaks (or lack of). Conor seems to have lost the zip from his all round game that made him one of the world's best scrum halves. Much of his play looks slow and laboured compared with what it used to be and lacking in the old creativity. I don't think he ever regained his best form after that injury of a couple of seasons ago.

Erse end of nowhere

Comment

The best thing he did tonight was get hit by Porter. Other than that, it was a typical out of form Murray game. A hard choice must be made in the near future. If I'm Larkham, i'm having a discussion with JVG, b/c this has to change or else what is the point ?

Comment

He looked quick enough around the place to me, and with front foot ball he was firing out the passes.

The problem is that, when we lose momentum, our current and only strategy is to slow it down and box kick, whereas Leinster mostly give it to Sexton who has more options and is trusted to make a decision. He (and his centres) have learned from Sarries and England and done huge work on their tactical kicking in the off-season.

We need a 10 with more tactical ability, and a wider array of talents, than JJ, and we need to let him run the show. Otherwise we’ll continue to struggle against sides as physical as Leinster. Running a game from 9 doesn’t give you enough variety, no matter who the SH is.

Comment

Form has fallen off a cliff in the last 2 years. Played an awful lot of rugby in the last 10 years and isn't related to the player he was when he broke through.

Comment

Our ball carrying forwards made 10 metres in 27 carries. The %age play was to kick, not wait to be driven back into your own 22, I'm surprised Conor Murray didn't phone Simon Zebo looking for a job at the final whistle.
              Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2021.

Comment

Last edited by B.A.; 6-September-2020, 13:00.
                When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
                  Our ball carrying forwards made 10 metres in 27 carries. The %age play was to kick, not wait to be driven back into your own 22, I'm surprised Conor Murray didn't phone Simon Zebo looking for a job at the final whistle.
                  Simon's looking for a pastry chef?
                  Only fools and drunks argue over everything. If you don’t have a hangover the next day you’re not the drunk...

Comment

Originally posted by Oldschoolsocks View Post

Simon's looking for a pastry chef?
                    Take that rubbish elsewhere.

Comment

Murray’s not the problem. Playing behind a pack consistently on the back foot must be hard. He’s still a scrum half most teams would want to sign. If he was at Leinster he’d be fine.
                      "They’re the benchmark that everyone else has to raise their game to meet." Alan Quinlan on Leinster

Comment

Originally posted by offshorerules View Post
                        Murray’s not the problem. Playing behind a pack consistently on the back foot must be hard. He’s still a scrum half most teams would want to sign. If he was at Leinster he’d be fine.
                        Yeah but Leinster can even make Luke McGrath look good.
                        When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

I hate it when a thread is started about one player following a defeat.
                          Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined. &nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by cornerboy View Post
                            I hate it when a thread is started about one player following a defeat.
                            While in general I'd agree, Murrays form has been poor for probably two seasons now. The only reason he's still first choice for Munster and Ireland is the lack of a viable alternative. I've high hopes for Casey as this season goes on.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallyman View Post

While in general I'd agree, Murrays form has been poor for probably two seasons now. The only reason he's still first choice for Munster and Ireland is the lack of a viable alternative. I've high hopes for Casey as this season goes on.
                              Ireland have viable alternatives in Cooney, Marmion, McGrath and Blade. Marmion has always played well for Ireland and I still don't see how he was left out of the RWC squad, given his experience and ability.
                              Murray at his best is outstanding, but he is looking past his best.
                              Schmidt did a poor job of getting Ireland reserve scrum halves up to speed with limited game time. Cooney looked pretty effective when he was given a run at the RWC.

Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Working...
                              X