Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• toplaff
    replied
    It’s out there that Van Graan rates Daly pretty highly. Has said publicly he thinks he’ll play test rugby (don’t think i’ve heard him say anything to that effect about any other of Munster’s young guns except Casey) and it come through in this interview with Daly also I think.

https://t.co/II9Lfu72bl

Leave a comment:

• AdolphusGrigson
    replied
    Daly has a definite eye for space ( not something you could accuse Rob of in his later years) and great turn of speed which was seen when playing at centre and looks steady at the back. Lamour is the incumbent and a brilliant attack runner - but as you say he needs to do basics of fuill back(which i think he will) but if not great to have to Daly there.

Daly's selection suggests he must have really impressed in pre-season with both Gallagher and Haley expecting to play some part and Sweetnam also his kicking heels on the sidelines.

Leave a comment:

• Munsterboy
    replied
    Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post
    Stockdale played fullback last out for Ulster. Based on curent form Stockdale wouldnt make the Irish team with Larmour (probably fullback) Conway and Earls.
    Based on current form - just that one game last weekend - Larmour would be behind Daly. He really struggled under the high ball. Can’t see him being trusted at 15 for Ireland with performances like that. Lethal in attack but Owen Farrell would be only delighted to rain kicks down on him all day. Has plenty of learning to do.

Conway is quality but I think the ship has sailed for him at 15. However, he and Earls are the best wingers in the country at present, and should be starting for Ireland regardless.

Leave a comment:

• Finnegan79
    replied
    Stockdale played fullback last out for Ulster. Based on curent form Stockdale wouldnt make the Irish team with Larmour (probably fullback) Conway and Earls.
    He was recently handed an ill timed central contract. He isn't getting dropped from the squad as long as he isn't completely abysmal. Seeing that has to gut a guy like Cooney. Stockdale's drop in form since he burst onto the scene in 2018 gets rewarded while Cooney gets a few caps in meaningless games despite being one of the best 9s in Europe for the past two seasons.

Leave a comment:

• tippete7trees
    replied
    Originally posted by isola ciarrai View Post

Agreed. We are very tight at 15 after a decade or more of being pretty well sorted there. Andrew Conway, one of those players equally rated in Leinster and Munster I think, has to be accomodated in green - he is outstanding since he got a decent run of games and fitness. His ability in the air for a handy sized fella is amazing. His ability to convert opportunity into tries is great.
    No praise is too high for Conway. That behind his head catch on the edge of the touchline v Racing and follow up try was as good as anything you'll see. Great composure too, lethal with even a half chance. Lowe was getting blamed for his 2nd try last week but he has really quick feet and a great step.

Leave a comment:

• isola ciarrai
    replied
    Originally posted by Oldschoolsocks View Post

Andrew Conway may have to move to get gametime at full back...
    Agreed. We are very tight at 15 after a decade or more of being pretty well sorted there. Andrew Conway, one of those players equally rated in Leinster and Munster I think, has to be accomodated in green - he is outstanding since he got a decent run of games and fitness. His ability in the air for a handy sized fella is amazing. His ability to convert opportunity into tries is great.

Leave a comment:

• rathbaner
    replied
    Andy Farrell ought to be worried about Larmour's inability to cope with Munster's kicking game. Once Owen Farrell sees those "highllights" Ireland are on a hiding to nothing.
    I don't know who the long term replacement for Rob K is, but Shane Daly can catch the ball, as can Andrew Conway. Both have good attacking games, up there with Larmour IMHO, and both are better last ditch defenders than Rob,based on what I've seen before the season was cut.

Leave a comment:

• jagawayagain
    replied
    Originally posted by neill_m View Post

Throw James Lowe into the selection debate also.
    He must be in the frame, but last weekend both he and Furlong showed defensive frailties that should be of concern.

Leave a comment:

• neill_m
    replied
    Throw James Lowe into the selection debate also.

Leave a comment:

• AdolphusGrigson
    replied

Leave a comment:

• AwayFromHome
    replied

If he can't get past Daly in red then its hard to see how he would get past him in green by going elsewhere. No harm in having a back three who are all comfortable across each of the three roles.

Leave a comment:

• Finnegan79
    replied
    JVG has a nice problem at 15...he's got two guys who played well in the premiership and Daly coming on...Conway will be away for Ireland starting with the resumption of the 6N and presumably the Autumn Tournament... Haley has been capped, but I don't see him getting called up unless Farrell uses that tournament to see what he's got in fringe players/ guys who have a few caps. JVG will have to get game time for all of these guys; Haley was 25 with over 100 caps for Sale, you don't get that unless you're pretty good. Gallagher was brought in, they're not going to let him rot on the bench, and Daly seems a really good prospect at 24. They're going to be playing a lot of rugby in a short time, hopefully they all go well.

Leave a comment:

• Oldschoolsocks
    replied
    Originally posted by TomsOnTheRoof View Post

If you are suggesting that Conway be moved to fullback with a view to preparing him for the national team I have to say I agree. Conway has everything needed to be a top class 15 and I'd love to see him get a chance in green.
    Will he get enough minutes there though with Daly bursting onto the scene?

Leave a comment:

• TomsOnTheRoof
    replied

If you are suggesting that Conway be moved to fullback with a view to preparing him for the national team I have to say I agree. Conway has everything needed to be a top class 15 and I'd love to see him get a chance in green.

Leave a comment:

• Oldschoolsocks
    replied
    Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Seems very sound defensively, strong under the high ball, and a very eager and skill full runner- outplayed his more illustrious opposite number. Not quite sure how he, Haley and Gallagher get game time at 15, although obviously each can play wing, but there’s a bit of a queue there too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X