Munster v Leinster x 2 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
    Still not convinced the last pass to Lowe was flat tbh.
    Yup, I called forward pass as I saw it live and one of the Munster players signalled to the TD instantly that it was forward. Replays haven't changed my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post
      Munster were very good, better variety and competed very well.

On the good, some players are clearly back in great form e.g. Murray, JJ, Farrell, Stander, POM & guys like Holland.

Munster's gameplan & injuries are not unlucky, they're way of playing & competing is still too inefficient & attritional to be successful against the better clubs. Leinster scored easier, and won territory easier, and Munster injured themselves smashing out hard yards often reverting to one dimensional smash ball which isn't good enough at this level.

There was evidence of a bit more width and variety at times, but jeez it's like watching gameplan developments for slow learners. Munster have enough smart and capable rugby players outside their pack to play better rugby. They need to do this more often and seamlessly to beat the better sides.....
      Snyman and Kleyn didn't get injured due to Munsters playing style. That's just rubbish. Snyman got dropped at the line out. Kleyn got a shoulder from Healy into the next. Something I hope gets looked at (but won't because its an Irish derby). And making judgements on the accuracy of our play after the first game in 5 months, especially after the disruption of last week, is pretty pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

There were a few points last night when CJ turned up in a mid field pod and immediately made progress- as you say we have got to try to enable him to be in positions where he can be most devastating. It’s obviously difficult when he is so useful poaching. I thought, despite, the disruption in the second row, we were a lot better when John Ryan came on- am hoping Knox etc can put more pressure on Archer- I think we need more from his role.
        I think there are two glaring issues with the way Munster and Ireland use CJ. Both teams have a lot of difficulty playing flat and as a result any wide balls have a tendency to reach the carrier too far behind the gainline. Consequently the carrier gets hit with a wall of defenders. The second issue is both teams rely on Stander to carry static ball as a one out runner. Ireland use CJ and Ryan and with Munster it's Killer and CJ. Both teams also have a lax clearout which means we get slow ball and have to repeat with another pick and go. This means that by 50 minutes we have essentially worn our best carrier into the ground. We need to see more tip on passes from the first receiver who needs to be taking the ball up flat. We also need a more committed clean out and snappier service. Murray played well last night, better than in a long time, but the change of pace Casey brought along with his willingness to play flat made a difference.

Agree with regards Ryan. I think he was a noticeable improvement on Archer who wasn't great. Would love to see Knox give Archer a tough time of it for the bench spot. I think Marshall is another one who should come in with O'Byrne on the bench. I had high hopes for Scannell since his u20's days but sadly I don't think he's kicked on. Saying that Hooker seems to be a problem for the national team as well right now so it is difficult to make any kind of predictions.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallyman View Post

Snyman and Kleyn didn't get injured due to Munsters playing style. That's just rubbish. Snyman got dropped at the line out. Kleyn got a shoulder from Healy into the next. Something I hope gets looked at (but won't because its an Irish derby). And making judgements on the accuracy of our play after the first game in 5 months, especially after the disruption of last week, is pretty pointless.
          Far from pointless imho, Munster are not efficient or accurate enough... there is a difference you know?

Smash ball won't cut it against the better sides, it leads to injuries, exhausting repetition, inevitable mistakes and woefully inefficient rugby....

P.s. i won't call your contribution rubbish, even though I consider it ********!!

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Certainly in terms of potential- but I think Billy was outstanding last night, the loss of two second row partners, but of whom are regarded as better than you, and keep your head and plough on for 80 mins, against best top class opposition, and in your mid thirties /last season, is no small achievement. Take a bow Billy!
            He is one of the few guys in the forward pack who is comfortable in taking and giving passes. The line-out was very destructive on Leinster’s ball and solid on our ball, which was one of the main reasons he was selected, as well.

Going forward, I do think we have to look at having a more balanced forward pack, though. We weren’t destroyed in the collisions, but too much of our carrying in the pack came through 2/3 players, which made it easier for them to perform double-man tackles. I know we were missing Killer, Beirne and Snyman, but it’s also worth remembering that Leinster were without their four most dominant carriers (three of whom will be back for the semi) in Furlong, Ryan, Leavy and Ruddock, so we will have to be more physical in semi-final.
            Last edited by Mumhain; 23-August-2020, 13:06.

Comment

Originally posted by TomsOnTheRoof View Post
              . Saying that Hooker seems to be a problem for the national team as well right now so it is difficult to make any kind of predictions.
              Kelleher is the real deal, he'll be the Irish hooker for years to come.
              When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

Originally posted by B.A. View Post

He has a lot of work to do on set piece to get there imo. Line out throwing was abysmal and Leinster scrum were under a lot of pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by Turlough1 View Post

I actually heard him say the front 5 was a match for Leinster, and this was after all the subbing.
                  Will rewind the match a bit.
                  Anyhow you look at it Toland is awful.
                  Agreed, Toland seem to be a decent person, so it’s good that people — for the most part — are keeping the criticism non-personal and related to his commentary. I found it difficult to sit through the commentary yesterday, as well. The constant over-exaggeration of every little mundane piece of play was really tiring. At one point Murray made a very basic, non-dominant tackle on Conan coming off the back of the scrum. Conor Murray is 6-foot-2 and a very good tackler — who would be expected to make that tackle 9 out of 10 times — but listening to Toland, you’d swear it was a repeat of Stringer’s tackle on Lomu.

Comment

I agree that he is the best prospect by some margin. I think it just remains to be seen whether he can improve his throwing. If he can he could be a real gem.

Comment

Originally posted by TomsOnTheRoof View Post

I agree that he is the best prospect by some margin. I think it just remains to be seen whether he can improve his throwing. If he can he could be a real gem.
                      I don't think it helped that in POM he was up against one of the best defensive lineout operators in the game.
                      When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

I don't think it helped that in POM he was up against one of the best defensive lineout operators in the game.
                        That's fair alright.

Comment

I'm amazed we won the game as it seems Munster were superior in the front 5, backrow, centres and back three

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post
                            I'm amazed we won the game as it seems Munster were superior in the front 5, backrow, centres and back three

I'm amazed you can use a keyboard. Stick to the crayola boy.

Comment

After Kleyn was forced off, was it POM who packed down in the second row in subsequent scrums? I tried to spot that a couple of times but never managed to see for sure who it was whenever it did cross my mind. I had initially wondered whether Chris Farrell might have done so, given that Kleyn was replaced by Rory Scannell and Farrell would have been the next nearest we had to a lock in terms of bulk and height.
                              Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post

You forgot 9 and 10
                                Only fools and drunks argue over everything. If you don’t have a hangover the next day you’re not the drunk...

Comment

Working...
                                X