No announcement yet.

Munster v Leinster x 2 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was very impressed with Shane Daly last night. We have 2 import full backs but they have a real fight on their hands if Daky is given opportunity to prove himself. Very encouraging
    \"If you can dream it, you can do it\".
    \"To the cowardly and unfaithful, nothing is possible\"

Comment

Originally posted by Jollygreengiant View Post
      Was very impressed with Shane Daly last night. We have 2 import full backs but they have a real fight on their hands if Daky is given opportunity to prove himself. Very encouraging
      Daly has been very very good each time he has played, on the wing or at full back. I hope he can get the game time to nail a place down. We have some options in the back three.

Comment

The obvious difference between the teams was that Leinster looked dangerous in their own half and Munster didn't. Even after the three or four half-breaks Daly made, pulling Leinster wingers inside, Murray slowed down the ruck and left Leinster time to reorganise.

Ringrose or Stander should have been MoM. Farrell was good, but Ringrose looked likely to make a clean break every possession. Stander is the best combined 6,7 and 8 in Ireland.

Comment

Larmour has the same problem now that he has always had - not great positional sense and poor under the high ball - and is ideally suited to a roaming wing role like Shane Williams had.

Conway would have had great chance of being Irish fullback but Munster never play him there.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Chrizzzie View Post

Toland is a joke. At one moment he was also saying that the Leinster front five has been dominant all game.

​​​​​
            I actually heard him say the front 5 was a match for Leinster, and this was after all the subbing.
            Will rewind the match a bit.
            Anyhow you look at it Toland is awful.

Comment

Originally posted by HenryFitz View Post
              The obvious difference between the teams was that Leinster looked dangerous in their own half and Munster didn't. Even after the three or four half-breaks Daly made, pulling Leinster wingers inside, Murray slowed down the ruck and left Leinster time to reorganise.

Ringrose or Stander should have been MoM. Farrell was good, but Ringrose looked likely to make a clean break every possession. Stander is the best combined 6,7 and 8 in Ireland.
              Murray cleared the ruck quickly enough in my opinion, what slowed it was the lack of worthwhile options to bring into play. When we went wide- in our own half- which we did more often than we usually do, it was quite ponderous at times- but for me it wasn’t so much the set up- but the lace of pace on the ball across the line, and the lack flat passes- by the time we’d made the gain line Leinster had simply drifted across. It’ll get better- there was more to our back play last night than we’ve seen for a long while.

Comment

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post
                Larmour has the same problem now that he has always had - not great positional sense and poor under the high ball - and is ideally suited to a roaming wing role like Shane Williams had.

Conway would have had great chance of being Irish fullback but Munster never play him there.

I’d agree with all of that. Before Haley came along Conway was the obvious choice, since then, having Haley in the team, and now Gallagher- makes his wing role more obvious. Daley is capable of keeping the latter two out- but is still doesn’t explain why Conway has never had a run for us at 15.

Comment

Still not convinced the last pass to Lowe was flat tbh.
                  I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post

Agree with that. Larmour is still young and inexperienced so maybe he can develop as a 15, but he’ll have stiff competition.

Always wanted to see Conway at FB but there’s no denying he’s a cracking winger. Should have a lot more Irish caps than he has. He’s top notch.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                      A number of journos have picked up on that alright. Leinster, like most top teams, tend to get the benefit of the doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by HenryFitz View Post

Stander is close to being our best ever backrower. He is nearly always top two for tackles, is a very good carrier (and would be far better if Munster and Ireland would use him in the wider channels) and has recently developed into one of the best poaching backrows in world rugby. He must be averaging something like three turnovers a game since the Six Nations. He had four last night. Against arguably the best pack in Europe, Sarries aside. The really sad thing is Stander will never get the credit he deserves outside of Munster. Even when he's praised a lot of it tends to be backhanded crap like "makes the most of what he has". Anyway we are incredibly lucky to have him.

Silly mistakes cost us last night and for the semi I think there's an argument to be made for starting Marshall and Ryan with Knox on the bench. Also if last night proved anything it's that Earls and Conway should be starting for Ireland for the foreseeable.

Comment

Originally posted by TomsOnTheRoof View Post

Stander is close to being our best ever backrower. He is nearly always top two for tackles, is a very good carrier (and would be far better if Munster and Ireland would use him in the wider channels) and has recently developed into one of the best poaching backrows in world rugby. He must be averaging something like three turnovers a game since the Six Nations. He had four last night. Against arguably the best pack in Europe, Sarries aside. The really sad thing is Stander will never get the credit he deserves outside of Munster. Even when he's praised a lot of it tends to be backhanded crap like "makes the most of what he has". Anyway we are incredibly lucky to have him.

Silly mistakes cost us last night and for the semi I think there's an argument to be made for starting Marshall and Ryan with Knox on the bench. Also if last night proved anything it's that Earls and Conway should be starting for Ireland for the foreseeable.
                          There were a few points last night when CJ turned up in a mid field pod and immediately made progress- as you say we have got to try to enable him to be in positions where he can be most devastating. It’s obviously difficult when he is so useful poaching. I thought, despite, the disruption in the second row, we were a lot better when John Ryan came on- am hoping Knox etc can put more pressure on Archer- I think we need more from his role.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                            I really think it was (marginally) forward. But that's the kind of call we used to benefit from when we were at the top 14 years ago. Let's just hope we get back up there real soon! From what we saw yesterday, could be coming soon indeed imho.
                            Good things happen to those who wait, though mostly much too late.

Comment

Originally posted by Turlough1 View Post

I actually heard him say the front 5 was a match for Leinster, and this was after all the subbing.
                              Will rewind the match a bit.
                              Anyhow you look at it Toland is awful.
                              In the same sentence said the Leinster front five had been dominant and then went on to say that that in fact they were evenly matched. Toland is an idiot.

Comment

Munster were very good, better variety and competed very well.

On the good, some players are clearly back in great form e.g. Murray, JJ, Farrell, Stander, POM & guys like Holland.

Munster's gameplan & injuries are not unlucky, they're way of playing & competing is still too inefficient & attritional to be successful against the better clubs. Leinster scored easier, and won territory easier, and Munster injured themselves smashing out hard yards often reverting to one dimensional smash ball which isn't good enough at this level.

There was evidence of a bit more width and variety at times, but jeez it's like watching gameplan developments for slow learners. Munster have enough smart and capable rugby players outside their pack to play better rugby. They need to do this more often and seamlessly to beat the better sides.....
                                Last edited by Daithi; 23-August-2020, 10:50.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Working...
                                X